Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

2 hours ago, andy123 said:

Thank you very much to all three of you for your insight and experiences. I really appreciate it! It seems like an MSW (or something comparable like an MA in counselling) will be inevitably necessary if I want to be competitive in the job market. 

I have a follow-up question to anyone who might know... Are all MSWs considered equally valuable by employers or would it be fair to say that an online MSW is viewed differently than an in-class one? Is an MSW from a higher-ranked university looked upon more favorably? 

Good luck to everyone who's still waiting to hear back about their applications and all the best to everyone else! 

I think it will be valuable, the way the field is going. At the very least, a BSW for eligibility to be registered with the OCSWSSW. A lot of people at my organization (also an addiction counsellor here) lost their jobs since the Ontario legislation requiring all practitioners to be registered with a governing body/the college as of January 1, 2020. It is becoming a highly regulated and competitive field. 

As far as the actual MSW itself, unless it is a very niche employer, I do not think it matters. The only thing that matters is that it must be an accredited university, otherwise you cannot register with the college of social workers (or whatever regulating body - OCSWSSW, CRPO, etc. as applicable to your home province). Online MSWs are not viewed any differently. The only thing is that each University has a different approach (policy-focused, healthcare-focused, clinical treatment-focused, social justice focused, etc...) however I have found that often people don't look into that. They just care about the letters/experience. 

2 hours ago, olivolia said:

The options for online MSW programs are very limited. Laurier and UWaterloo I think may be the only ones that have online MSW, in Ontario at least (correct me if I'm wrong). When you graduate you are graduating with a Masters from either Laurier or UWaterloo.. both reputable schools, and your diploma paper will not say online.

If you do Counselling Psychology through lets say Yorkville, the case may be different because this isn't a well known school. Although it is becoming more recognized now by employers, obviously its not in the list of top schools known around here. With that being said, many employers usually care more about you actually having the masters and extensive experience!

But if you are just looking at lets say the online MSW through Laurier, the courses are the same as you would do in person! The only difference is they made it more accessible to working professionals (hence why it's so difficult to get in), you still complete placement at the end of the learning component.

In Ontario, yes. Outside of Ontario, there is also Dalhousie and a couple others (UVic, Memorial). The MSWs at UVic and Memorial University are also online, however have an in-class component that needs to be completed as well (for which you must be on campus for x amount of weeks). 

I would argue that Yorkville is actually decently known, at least in my working experience. I have a few colleagues who have completed this program and it is becoming increasingly popular. 

1 hour ago, waitingsux said:

With everything going on I understand, but it is still frustrating especially because I know some admission offers were sent out within the first month of the application closing date.. 

I know. I want to hear back so i can (hopefully) decline waitlist from U of T. 

2 hours ago, Cafe-queen said:

I emailed last week to ask (I won’t lie, I felt guilty asking), their response was

All final decisions will be sent to the College of Graduate Studies by this Friday from our school.  It may then take about a week for them to move through the final decision processing. We are all currently working remotely so it has been a bit of a challenge to work with our systems.”

So, I guess end of next week?

thanks for this information! on what day did you receive the email? trying to figure out if it they are referring to this Friday (17th) or next. fingers crossed for good news!

1 hour ago, VanSW said:

thanks for this information! on what day did you receive the email? trying to figure out if it they are referring to this Friday (17th) or next. fingers crossed for good news!

I got this email today!

Realistically I’m wondering how hard is it to get in at Laurier for the 2 year online MSW?

It’s really my only option (don’t have a BSW and can’t quit my job to go back to school - I’m sure lots of people are in the same boat lol). When I emailed a few months back they said they had 250+ applicants and would be accepting about 25. Oof. I almost didn’t apply after hearing this but then thought, what if everyone said that, and applied anyway lol.

I have a BA honours in psych with about a 3.6 or 3.7 GPA. 5ish years experience working in the mental health & disabilities field. Have worked 1:1 with youth and adults with developmental delays and mental health diagnoses. Also have a post graduate in behavioural science. But based on things I’ve read my chances are not that great and I’ve heard of people with 15 years of related experience getting rejected lol

On 4/13/2020 at 9:22 AM, Meg_gray11 said:

I haven't heard either! I emailed Madge a month ago and she said she would send all applicants updates when they happen, but I have recieved nothing. I'm hoping we hear something soon.

Do you think the program's start date will be pushed back or put online if the pandemic continues into the summer?

I feel like they'll have to run it online in the summer around the same time. I don't see classes continuing even in September, to be very honest ? I haven't received any update email, and I want to call, but feel bad because I know that they're under a lot of pressure. It's just this waiting is totally killing me!

Hello! I received an acceptance from Laurier which I am very happy about but I am still unsure as I am interested in clinical social work. It seems like more of a social justice focused program and I am just wondering if anyone has any insight if there are opportunities for clinical placements within the program. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

8 minutes ago, MSW Applicant said:

Hello! I received an acceptance from Laurier which I am very happy about but I am still unsure as I am interested in clinical social work. It seems like more of a social justice focused program and I am just wondering if anyone has any insight if there are opportunities for clinical placements within the program. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Congratulations ! I still haven’t heard back! Did you get an email or just check your LORIS?

Edited by Lalalla

5 minutes ago, MSW Applicant said:

Congratulations! Do you mind if I ask when you received your acceptance offer? I’m still waiting on a decision, feels like everyone’s heard back but me:( waiting has become unbearable.. 

Hey everyone! I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during these crazy times. I am hoping to get some insight from anyone who has done volunteering with Kids Help Phone or a similar organization before. I have applied and been accepted to be part of the text volunteer program with Kids Help Phone. I heard that I was accepted last Monday letting me know to register for training. When I looked, all the training opportunities are full. I emailed last Monday, then followed up again last Friday and have yet to hear back, and the training cohorts are still showing up as full. Has anyone else had a similar experience, and if so what do you recommend? I am increasingly frustrated as I have heard from multiple sources they are in need of volunteers and I've really been looking forward to doing something meaningful with my spare time. Alternatively, does anyone have any recommendations for similar organizations that offer online volunteer opportunities? 

9 minutes ago, 1996msw2020 said:

Congratulations! Do you mind if I ask when you received your acceptance offer? I’m still waiting on a decision, feels like everyone’s heard back but me:( waiting has become unbearable.. 

Thanks! I just heard back from an email an hour ago

4 minutes ago, Wgsttomsw said:

I just received my offer of admission to Laurier's 2year non-bsw program. Does anyone know if they provide any funding (such as scholarships/bursaries/TAships)?

On their website they talk about RA opportunities the rest I’m not too sure about.

25 minutes ago, MSWMissy said:

Hey everyone! I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during these crazy times. I am hoping to get some insight from anyone who has done volunteering with Kids Help Phone or a similar organization before. I have applied and been accepted to be part of the text volunteer program with Kids Help Phone. I heard that I was accepted last Monday letting me know to register for training. When I looked, all the training opportunities are full. I emailed last Monday, then followed up again last Friday and have yet to hear back, and the training cohorts are still showing up as full. Has anyone else had a similar experience, and if so what do you recommend? I am increasingly frustrated as I have heard from multiple sources they are in need of volunteers and I've really been looking forward to doing something meaningful with my spare time. Alternatively, does anyone have any recommendations for similar organizations that offer online volunteer opportunities? 

I know that CMHA right now is looking for the supportive listening line! Everything got moved to at home so now would be a good time to join! And CMHA is very reputable as well :)

Hi everyone! I have been accepted to York's 2 year MSW program, and waitlisted for U of T. I was wondering.. does anyone have any insight into how these programs compare? Or advice on decision making if I do make it off the U of T waitlist. I'm especially interested in York's program...but because I haven't really talked to any social workers/students I haven't been able get much insight into these programs. Thanks so much! 

Just now, confusedfuturesocialworker said:

Hi everyone! I have been accepted to York's 2 year MSW program, and waitlisted for U of T. I was wondering.. does anyone have any insight into how these programs compare? Or advice on decision making if I do make it off the U of T waitlist. I'm especially interested in York's program...but because I haven't really talked to any social workers/students I haven't been able get much insight into these programs. Thanks so much! 

congrats! :) did they email you or only update myfile? also, from what i've heard, uoft is much more clinical whereas york isn't, and that in terms of placement opportunities in toronto specifically, uoft has the upper hand with hospitals i believe. this is essentially what i've gathered from reading through this forum, good luck with your decision!

3 minutes ago, asingh25 said:

congrats! :) did they email you or only update myfile? also, from what i've heard, uoft is much more clinical whereas york isn't, and that in terms of placement opportunities in toronto specifically, uoft has the upper hand with hospitals i believe. this is essentially what i've gathered from reading through this forum, good luck with your decision!

Actually I found out by just going on the myfile page randomly. I realized after that they had sent an email to me...but it went straight to my junk box. That email was sent about 5 days after my official acceptance on myfile though. 

Hi everyone! Is anyone else really nervous about the upcoming year, with all that's going on right now? I was offered admission to Carleton's 2-year program and accepted the offer just before things with COVID-19 really escalated and everyone started working from home. I emailed Stephanie in mid-March asking how I will know when/if transcripts are received and she said normally applicants are notified by receiving a revised offer. Because everyone is working from home, transcripts will likely be held in the mail room until they resume normal university operations.

Because of this, I'm really nervous! I feel like until I receive the revised offer that she mentioned, that I haven't really gotten an offer yet. I'll also need to move to Ottawa from another province, so not knowing how things will look in September is driving my crazy.

just got notice that I was not accepted into the Ryerson part time BSW program. I guess I had no idea this was going to be competitive, and thought I would get in. I don't have the grades or experience for an MSW, so I thought I would aim lower. shit, now what?