Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

46 minutes ago, Coolcat2019 said:

Same! Online or on campus program?

Campus, 2 year program! I’m getting really nervous cause ppl said they got rejected last week and than others got accepted yesterday and earlier today :(

10 hours ago, Kristine said:

just got notice that I was not accepted into the Ryerson part time BSW program. I guess I had no idea this was going to be competitive, and thought I would get in. I don't have the grades or experience for an MSW, so I thought I would aim lower. shit, now what?

If you have a bachelor's already, try a postgrad somewhere such as the SSW program or I believe someone mentioned a mental health and addictions program at Humber 

13 hours ago, confusedfuturesocialworker said:

Hi everyone! I have been accepted to York's 2 year MSW program, and waitlisted for U of T. I was wondering.. does anyone have any insight into how these programs compare? Or advice on decision making if I do make it off the U of T waitlist. I'm especially interested in York's program...but because I haven't really talked to any social workers/students I haven't been able get much insight into these programs. Thanks so much! 

Congrats! Both programs are, overall, great and you'll get a good education in either program. 

Short answer - go to U of T if you want to learn practical skills and practice clinical social work, and also want the reputation and networking opportunities it provides. Go to York if you want a smaller community and are interested in critical theory, social justice, and macro social work. 

Long answer - York is critical, structural social work, while U of T is clinical, micro social work. Both programs have great reputations, so it comes down to personal preferences and the type of social work you want to practice. At U of T,  you're going to get a lot of opportunity to learn and practice clinical skills. The program is also much bigger so there are more course opportunities. As well, U of T is a well-respected institution and the Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work holds a monopoly on all hospital placements (York only has a partnership with St. Mikes's hospital in Toronto and, even still, U of T has priority of practicum availability there). On the other hand, at York you're likely to spend a lot more time discussing macro social work and oppressive structures and systems in our lives and the lives of our clients. Much more talk about social justice and community work than U of T. The program is also much smaller and, thus, likely more personalized. Due to U of T's size, the practicum office simply cannot accommodate everyone's interests and you're likely to end up with a practicum you only moderately like in your first year (practicum options get much better in second year). At York, however, the practicum office can provide a much more personalized experience that matches you with an agency you're genuinely interested in. That said, the options are limited compared to U of T. 

As you can see, each program has its pro's and con's and it all comes down to what you're interested in. :) I was accepted to both York and U of T and did lots of research on both programs. I ended up choosing U of T (i just finished this year).

Edited by MDS96

17 hours ago, Coolcat2019 said:

Realistically I’m wondering how hard is it to get in at Laurier for the 2 year online MSW?

It’s really my only option (don’t have a BSW and can’t quit my job to go back to school - I’m sure lots of people are in the same boat lol). When I emailed a few months back they said they had 250+ applicants and would be accepting about 25. Oof. I almost didn’t apply after hearing this but then thought, what if everyone said that, and applied anyway lol.

I have a BA honours in psych with about a 3.6 or 3.7 GPA. 5ish years experience working in the mental health & disabilities field. Have worked 1:1 with youth and adults with developmental delays and mental health diagnoses. Also have a post graduate in behavioural science. But based on things I’ve read my chances are not that great and I’ve heard of people with 15 years of related experience getting rejected lol

Hey you might also be interested in the 2 year MSW for working professionals through Windsor University - they have a peel location. Classes are every other Friday night and Saturday during the day. It takes 2 years and 8 months to complete but you can continue to work full time while doing their program. I think it's worth checking out :)

2 hours ago, Wgsttomsw said:

If you have a bachelor's already, try a postgrad somewhere such as the SSW program or I believe someone mentioned a mental health and addictions program at Humber 

thank you! I have an SSW, luckily I am working in the field and like what I do. Guess I have to get more experience and apply another year.

1 minute ago, mswmbapp said:

Heard from a friend from Uoft that summer and fall classes and practicum will be done virtually as per federal regulations. There will be a possibility that winter 2020 classes will be conducted virtually as well. And universities across Canada will do the same as per the management

Wow. I have a few friends who are considering deferring because of this. They are saying social distancing can last from December 2020 and beyond, so this doesn't surprise me. I can't wait till this is all over. Stay safe everyone!

1 hour ago, Christinavas86 said:

Hey you might also be interested in the 2 year MSW for working professionals through Windsor University - they have a peel location. Classes are every other Friday night and Saturday during the day. It takes 2 years and 8 months to complete but you can continue to work full time while doing their program. I think it's worth checking out :)

I wish! But I would have no way there. I live in downtown Toronto and have no vehicle. It doesn’t seem realistic to commute every weekend on top of working full time :(

6 minutes ago, Coolcat2019 said:

I wish! But I would have no way there. I live in downtown Toronto and have no vehicle. It doesn’t seem realistic to commute every weekend on top of working full time :(

Ahh yes I get that! I live downtown as well and I think it said 40 min on TTC but I also have a car so I'm hoping to just drive. Good luck with Laurier! 

Just now, Christinavas86 said:

Ahh yes I get that! I live downtown as well and I think it said 40 min on TTC but I also have a car so I'm hoping to just drive. Good luck with Laurier! 

Thank you! I really, really don’t think I’ll get into Laurier. I heard they accept like 25 out of 300 applicants for the online non BSW stream. I don’t think my GPA and experience are competitive enough. I’m hoping to at least get waitlisted though haha

50 minutes ago, mswmbapp said:

Heard from a friend from Uoft that summer and fall classes and practicum will be done virtually as per federal regulations. There will be a possibility that winter 2020 classes will be conducted virtually as well. And universities across Canada will do the same as per the management

thankyou for sharing! for those looking into york u, from what i heard from a prof this morning, there is no confirmation that york's classes will be held online in the fall as of yet.

Edited by asingh25

2 hours ago, mswmbapp said:

Hey, I just wanna clarify this, as I am a current U of T student. Online classes and practicum have not yet been confirmed for Fall 2020. :) We received news yesterday that they are preparing for it just in case, but it has not been confirmed yet. That said, it has been confirmed that practicum for next year has dropped to 337.5 hours (instead of the usual ~450) to allow for practicum to start later in the year if needed. As well, right, if U of T is going online, that means every other school is. So it won't be just Toronto. 

For those entering the two-year program, you're in a slightly better position because at least your practicum won't start until Winter 2021 and things will hopefully be smoothed over by then. 

Anyway, I think these are very important considerations to note, but just wanted to clarify that information! 

Edited by MDS96

22 hours ago, olivolia said:

I know that CMHA right now is looking for the supportive listening line! Everything got moved to at home so now would be a good time to join! And CMHA is very reputable as well :)

Thank you so much! I will look into this. :)

Hi all, I also just got accepted to the Laurier 2 year on campus MSW. I will be going with York, so that frees up spots at Carleton, UofT, and Laurier. I believe I will be attending regardless of courses being moved online, so if there are any other folks doing the same for York, message me if you like! Congrats to everyone getting acceptances and good luck to everyone who hasn't heard yet.

On 4/14/2020 at 6:24 PM, MSWMissy said:

Hey everyone! I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during these crazy times. I am hoping to get some insight from anyone who has done volunteering with Kids Help Phone or a similar organization before. I have applied and been accepted to be part of the text volunteer program with Kids Help Phone. I heard that I was accepted last Monday letting me know to register for training. When I looked, all the training opportunities are full. I emailed last Monday, then followed up again last Friday and have yet to hear back, and the training cohorts are still showing up as full. Has anyone else had a similar experience, and if so what do you recommend? I am increasingly frustrated as I have heard from multiple sources they are in need of volunteers and I've really been looking forward to doing something meaningful with my spare time. Alternatively, does anyone have any recommendations for similar organizations that offer online volunteer opportunities? 

Hey! I applied also about 2 weeks ago?? How long did it take for them to give you the opportunity? I am really interested as well in volunteering my time with them. Have you heard back yet? Mine still says under review. I emailed them yesterday and have no heard back??

Edited by SocialWorkMSW

34 minutes ago, SocialWorkMSW said:

Hey! I applied also about 2 weeks ago?? How long did it take for them to give you the opportunity? I am really interested as well in volunteering my time with them. Have you heard back yet? Mine still says under review. I emailed them yesterday and have no heard back??

I also haven't heard back from them and they received my references over two weeks ago. 

On 4/14/2020 at 5:29 PM, Alyssa.O said:

I feel like they'll have to run it online in the summer around the same time. I don't see classes continuing even in September, to be very honest ? I haven't received any update email, and I want to call, but feel bad because I know that they're under a lot of pressure. It's just this waiting is totally killing me!

Madge from Lakehead got back to me today! She said that all Spring/Summer courses had to put online so professors are currently reformatting their courses. She said that admission decisions will be out "in the next day or two."
I am curious to see how they reformat the course as I know most people move to Orillia for 6 months and then do their placements in their home town. I wonder if the entire length program will be moved online as it would be difficult to justify moving to a new place for only a couple of months. Classes are also Monday to Friday from 8:30 to 4:30, so I don't know if it will be completely converted to zoom lectures or more of an at your own pace style as an 8 hour lecture is quite long online. 
Lakehead is the only school I applied to and I decided a few months ago that I would not attend if I got accepted, however now with the online format I may reconsider.