Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

On 4/17/2020 at 4:59 PM, JK1009469 said:

Hi, im also on the waitlist but dont have much information about it unfortunately. I haven't been contacted about transcripts but hopefully this is good news for you and means the waitlist is moving. If you dont mind me asking when approximately were you placed on the waitlist? 

Hey there! Was waitlisted on March 26 and was just ACCEPTED to the 2 year non-BSW full time program today at 11am!

On 4/17/2020 at 7:14 PM, MSW_640 said:

Hey!

I've also been placed on the waitlist at UWin and haven't heard anything since the intial waitlist email that I got. That'd be great news if they're moving through the waitlist! I haven't heard of anyone being asked for their transcript past the application process but I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. Best of luck!!

Thank you so much! Was accepted off the waitlist today! Best of luck!

5 hours ago, Jen1212 said:

Hey everyone this is my first post. I just applied for Laurier's online part time for January 2021. Does anyone know that statistics for Laurier's advanced standing part time online program are? Also, I did my bsw at Laurier is it okay that I want to do my masters there too ?

When I asked, I was told they would be accepting 25 out of ~250 applicants. So, statistically odds are not in our favour, but you never know. Btw this stat was given for the Sept 2020 start, if that matters.

3 hours ago, PseudoIntellectual said:

Was offered admission...still mulling over this very difficult decision :( really not sure given COVID-19 and how FIFSW has said they are anticipating classes being moved to online on their official FAQ page 

From my understanding they are preparing to have classes online in the Fall but nothing has been confirmed as of yet. I am still hopeful that class will be in person however some social distancing measures will still need to be enforced.

Unfortunately I foresee this being this case at all Universities right now for the next 2 years. It’s hard to know for sure but experts have said we can expect to be experiencing social distancing in some form until we have a reliable vaccine, which won’t be for 1.5 - 2 years (and that’s looking at it optimistically).  

Personally, I’m not waiting 2 years to do my masters. It’s unfortunate that this has happened but everyone is going to have to adjust and this format may just be the new norm across the board. 

51 minutes ago, farrugi said:

Accepted off the waitlist for University of Windsor 2-year non-BSW full time program!

Was waitlist on March 26 and got accepted today (April 22).

Best of luck everyone! Seems they're moving through the waitlist quickly!

Congrats!!!! So happy for you :) 

If you don't mind, can I ask what your stats are like? 

Were you notified via email or egas?

Also also, when you say "seems they're moving through the waitlist quickly"... have you heard of others being accepted off the waitlist already??

(Sorry for all the questions! Just anxiously waiting and hoping to also be accepted off the waitlist but there isn't much info out there on how many people are on the waitlist, the likelihood of getting accepted off the waitlist, if its ranked etc etc) !!

1 hour ago, farrugi said:

Accepted off the waitlist for University of Windsor 2-year non-BSW full time program!

Was waitlist on March 26 and got accepted today (April 22).

Best of luck everyone! Seems they're moving through the waitlist quickly!

Congratulations! I'm also on the waitlist and was notified the same day as you, this gives me hope that it is moving and I appreciate you updating us!

8 hours ago, SocialWorkMSW said:

Hey! Were you able to sign up for a cohort yet? I got accepted to start volunteering!

Hey! Exciting! Congrats on getting accepted. I was too late signing up for the training that was posted earlier this week so have not signed up yet, but I was told there will be another cohort posted next Monday. It is so competitive to try to get into training. Hopefully we can both get into one next week. Fingers crossed! 

On 4/21/2020 at 8:11 AM, mystiqueMSW said:

Has anyone who was accepted at UofT (2-year) made their decision about deferring/rejecting their acceptance? :) 

After contemplating for some time, I decided to accept my offer instead of deferring. I think right now, given my life circumstances, it works best for me to not delay my education. But of course that isn't the case for everyone. From my understanding, the first semester (for the 2 year MSW) doesn't have a practicum (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). So if the first semester does go online, I think the practicum component will be one less thing to worry about? Then hopefully the January semester isn't online either because that is when we begin our practicums. 

2 hours ago, MSWMissy said:

Hey! Exciting! Congrats on getting accepted. I was too late signing up for the training that was posted earlier this week so have not signed up yet, but I was told there will be another cohort posted next Monday. It is so competitive to try to get into training. Hopefully we can both get into one next week. Fingers crossed! 

Awesome!! Thanks so much !! I will look back on monday!! This is frustrating... I am eager to start. Also, if you heard Trudeau's announcement today he said that everyone who is volunteering to help people with this pandemic in any way will be receiving funds for doing so. It will be up to 1000 - 5000 a month.

On 4/21/2020 at 12:02 PM, Laurier MSW said:

Wooohoooo!! Accepted to Lauriers 2 year MSW Program.
I got my email on the 17th! :)
I am so excited to start, but so curious how the first year is going to be with this whole pandemic situation!
Anyone else get accepted? 
Curious where everyone is coming from!
Congratulations to all!!!! 

Congratulations to you! I also got accepted - I will be coming from Vancouver. 

What about you? We should DM and exchange contact info! 

- K 

On 4/8/2020 at 11:19 AM, PB&yogurt said:

Thank you! Yes I did :) So a spot might open on the U of T waitlist soon.

Hey ! :) 

I have been waitlisted at UofT for the Advanced Standing Children and Families specialization. Out of curiosity what did you apply to as you mention that there may be a spot open on the waitlist for Uoft? 

thank you! :)

9 hours ago, SocialWorkMSW said:

Awesome!! Thanks so much !! I will look back on monday!! This is frustrating... I am eager to start. Also, if you heard Trudeau's announcement today he said that everyone who is volunteering to help people with this pandemic in any way will be receiving funds for doing so. It will be up to 1000 - 5000 a month.

Wow! That is fantastic! Thanks for letting me know. By the way, the person I spoke with said the new training is posted around 1 o'clock next Monday, so I'd check back around then. This week I received the email at 1:30, tried to register at about 2:30 and everything was already full!! It is so competitive and massively frustrating. Glad I am not the only one frustrated by this. 

Just now, MSWMissy said:

Does anyone know the statistics for acceptance for the 2 year MSW program at U of T this year? I was accepted but am curious to know how many are in the program. 

In my rejection letter from U of T 2 yr MSW program they said nearly 700 applied and there was a total of 130 spots! Congrats on getting in :) 

22 hours ago, jberma01 said:

Congrats!!!! So happy for you :) 

If you don't mind, can I ask what your stats are like? 

Were you notified via email or egas?

Also also, when you say "seems they're moving through the waitlist quickly"... have you heard of others being accepted off the waitlist already??

(Sorry for all the questions! Just anxiously waiting and hoping to also be accepted off the waitlist but there isn't much info out there on how many people are on the waitlist, the likelihood of getting accepted off the waitlist, if its ranked etc etc) !!

Thank you so much!

No problem! I graduated from a BASc at the University of Guelph in June 2019 with a degree in Child Youth and Family studies with a minor in psychology and a focus on youth development. Had an 85% cumulative average. Have 5 years experience in human service (group homes, mental health agencies, summer camps, YMCA daycares, section 23 schools and spent the last year working as a nanny in the UK). Was rejected at Kings and Laurier. Heard about waitlist on March 27 and was accepted April 22. 

I was notified via email that I needed to check egas and saw my offer of acceptance and scholarship there. I also received an email a few weeks ago requesting my transcript again (for some reason). I asked about waitlist numbers and rankings but they didn't tell me anything. To my understanding they put a certain amount of qualifying applicants on the waitlist but don't rank them right away (hence why they say they can't release your rank when you hear you've been waitlisted because they don't even know yet). Then once acceptances are sent they use the 3 weeks that accepted students are given to accept their offer to process and rank the remaining waitlist applicants AGAIIN (I had an update on egas that said my application was "in process" since January 31 and then updated to "in process" again April 17..I imagine that's when I was "re-assessed" and when they needed my transcript again). This is what I'm assuming from reading about waitlist processes from schools that don't release ranks, but I could be wrong.

To my knowledge the waitlist is not very long, and now that majority of acceptances were sent I imagine many people are accepting and denying admissions and therefore more waitlist applicants are being accepted. 

I hope that was decently helpful....wishing you the best of luck!

1 hour ago, farrugi said:

Thank you so much!

No problem! I graduated from a BASc at the University of Guelph in June 2019 with a degree in Child Youth and Family studies with a minor in psychology and a focus on youth development. Had an 85% cumulative average. Have 5 years experience in human service (group homes, mental health agencies, summer camps, YMCA daycares, section 23 schools and spent the last year working as a nanny in the UK). Was rejected at Kings and Laurier. Heard about waitlist on March 27 and was accepted April 22. 

I was notified via email that I needed to check egas and saw my offer of acceptance and scholarship there. I also received an email a few weeks ago requesting my transcript again (for some reason). I asked about waitlist numbers and rankings but they didn't tell me anything. To my understanding they put a certain amount of qualifying applicants on the waitlist but don't rank them right away (hence why they say they can't release your rank when you hear you've been waitlisted because they don't even know yet). Then once acceptances are sent they use the 3 weeks that accepted students are given to accept their offer to process and rank the remaining waitlist applicants AGAIIN (I had an update on egas that said my application was "in process" since January 31 and then updated to "in process" again April 17..I imagine that's when I was "re-assessed" and when they needed my transcript again). This is what I'm assuming from reading about waitlist processes from schools that don't release ranks, but I could be wrong.

To my knowledge the waitlist is not very long, and now that majority of acceptances were sent I imagine many people are accepting and denying admissions and therefore more waitlist applicants are being accepted. 

I hope that was decently helpful....wishing you the best of luck!

I graduated from Guelph June 2019 as well (with a BSc)! I also have similar experience, and I was a nanny in Italy this past fall!! Wild coincidence! 

Thank you so much!! :) 

6 hours ago, SoooocialWork said:

Hey ! :) 

I have been waitlisted at UofT for the Advanced Standing Children and Families specialization. Out of curiosity what did you apply to as you mention that there may be a spot open on the waitlist for Uoft? 

thank you! :)

Hey! ? I applied for the 2-year program so there was no specification of stream required. Best of luck!!

On 4/21/2020 at 11:19 AM, Vivi2020 said:

Anyone planning on rescinding thier waterloo admission in favor of laurier's part time online program? Lol I'm hoping for a waitlist spot to open at waterloo.

Thinking about it! Although considering Waterloo is a) only 1 year and b) online, they're looking pretty good rn. 

4 hours ago, MSW Hopefully said:

Thinking about it! Although considering Waterloo is a) only 1 year and b) online, they're looking pretty good rn. 

Good points. Online is a huuuge benifit right now and a concern of mine on why the waitlist may not move as much as in previous years. Everyone is thinking the same thing with covid 19.

Laurier seems to be more popular on this thread which is why I was curious. My preference is also Waterloo, although I applied for the 2 year, pt program.

Edited by Vivi2020

On 4/22/2020 at 4:12 PM, Coolcat2019 said:

When I asked, I was told they would be accepting 25 out of ~250 applicants. So, statistically odds are not in our favour, but you never know. Btw this stat was given for the Sept 2020 start, if that matters.

Thank you! yeah not good odds but I am going to keep applying till I get in because Laurier is my top choice!

I have accepted admission to UBCO advance standing. And I will be taking myself off of the U of T advance standing waitlist (mental health stream).  Feels like I am on cloud 9. 

Any UBCO advanced standing people know anything about what will a September start look like (in person, online?)

Best of luck to everyone!!