Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

2 hours ago, Christinavas86 said:

Kind of a random question...but does anyone plan on working full time while doing their MSW? I have the flexibility of working from home so I could just work in the evenings and basically have no life but wanted to see if others are going to do the same?

I planned on working full time if pursuing part time studies. It is not recommended to try to work full time while studying full time (if your schedule allows, ie working from home/working evenings) - that's a really good way to burn yourself out! Of course to each their own, but you'd really have to amp up the self-care. I know that when I was looking at some full time programs and trying to see if I could keep working, all the recommendations for course loads said that full time studies are the equivalent of approximately 40 hours/week (course work, readings, assignments, etc). 

Just now, HopefulandCurious said:

I planned on working full time if pursuing part time studies. It is not recommended to try to work full time while studying full time (if your schedule allows, ie working from home/working evenings) - that's a really good way to burn yourself out! Of course to each their own, but you'd really have to amp up the self-care. I know that when I was looking at some full time programs and trying to see if I could keep working, all the recommendations for course loads said that full time studies are the equivalent of approximately 40 hours/week (course work, readings, assignments, etc). 

Yeah I hear you about the burn out! I think I would go down to 28 hours for work and try to make it work...we shall see haha 

1 hour ago, asingh25 said:

congratulations!! if you don’t mind me asking, what kind of experience did you have prior to applying?

Thank you! 

I worked for 7 years with at risk youth in vancouver  in different capacities including manager roles then moved to toronto and have been working as a program manager for a non profit which also works with vulnerable populations. I have a BA in psych from UBC and my GPA for the final 2 years was 86%. Hope that helps! 

55 minutes ago, Christinavas86 said:

Yeah I hear you about the burn out! I think I would go down to 28 hours for work and try to make it work...we shall see haha 

I didn't get in (I was waitlisted at U of T), but I would have to work as well. I have two kids and they need to eat haha I just finished my undergrad doing 5 or 6 courses for the past few years and I was working and volunteering so I think it's probably doable...especially if you don't value sleep :) 

6 minutes ago, Kal008 said:

I didn't get in (I was waitlisted at U of T), but I would have to work as well. I have two kids and they need to eat haha I just finished my undergrad doing 5 or 6 courses for the past few years and I was working and volunteering so I think it's probably doable...especially if you don't value sleep :) 

Haha thank you! That's the kind of positivity I needed right now! I think I can make it work and I'll sleep in 2 years lol. I was also waitlisted but just received an acceptance email today! 

3 hours ago, Christinavas86 said:

Haha thank you! That's the kind of positivity I needed right now! I think I can make it work and I'll sleep in 2 years lol. I was also waitlisted but just received an acceptance email today! 

Congratulations!!!!! You must be thrilled :)

On 5/1/2020 at 3:29 PM, Christinavas86 said:

Hey!! I applied to the Peel program! Still waiting to hear back thought. When did you apply and how quickly did you hear back??

Hey!! I applied in January and heard back in February. I hope you hear back soon! Let me know ?

8 hours ago, Roo15 said:

Hey!! I applied in January and heard back in February. I hope you hear back soon! Let me know ?

I heard back yesterday and was accepted! I was also accepted to UofT yesterday morning so just debating which one to choose! 

Edited by Christinavas86

37 minutes ago, AugustusGloop said:

Is anyone else having trouble registering for York's orientation/log into YU start?

i believe yorks server was hacked a few days back and so a lot of their platforms are running slowly right now

6 minutes ago, Quarantinelife said:

Was accepted off the waitlist at UofT's 2 Year Masters about a week ago! I'll be accepting soon. Excited to meet some of you this fall!

Congrats! Did they call or email you?

23 hours ago, Christinavas86 said:

Thank you! 

I worked for 7 years with at risk youth in vancouver  in different capacities including manager roles then moved to toronto and have been working as a program manager for a non profit which also works with vulnerable populations. I have a BA in psych from UBC and my GPA for the final 2 years was 86%. Hope that helps! 

Hi, I graduated from UBC with a BA in Psych as well! I will be attending UofT 2 year MSW this September. :) 

20 minutes ago, K_J said:

Hi, I graduated from UBC with a BA in Psych as well! I will be attending UofT 2 year MSW this September. :) 

Amazing!! What year did you grad from UBC?? I wonder if we had any classes together!