Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

14 hours ago, mystiqueMSW said:

I just got off today. Angela sent me an email at 4 PM 

congrats!! Still feeling ever hopeful ❤️ although i think i'm quite settled with trying again next year. I'm going to take the fast-track social worker/community worker diplomas at george brown and then also apply to advanced standing BSW +MSW next year. Finger crossed. Congrats on everyone getting in this year tho! 

Laurier MSW Online Fall 2020 people. 

Has anyone heard any updates on this program yet? I have not, but thought maybe I'm just not accepted. I'm seriously on here multiple times a day and checking LORIS to see if there's any movement for anyone. I've heard nothing. I was hoping they'd start early May, not mid or late May. I'm trying to be patient, and what choice is there, but it's so hard! 

17 minutes ago, jmfmsw said:

Laurier MSW Online Fall 2020 people. 

Has anyone heard any updates on this program yet? I have not, but thought maybe I'm just not accepted. I'm seriously on here multiple times a day and checking LORIS to see if there's any movement for anyone. I've heard nothing. I was hoping they'd start early May, not mid or late May. I'm trying to be patient, and what choice is there, but it's so hard! 

The fall decisions go out in May - don't draw too many conclusions yet! Laurier is notoriously slow at sending out acceptances. It wouldn't surprise me if Fall folks heard in late May/early June. Keep waiting and keep breathing! :)

1 minute ago, MelissaT said:

Ugh, me too 

Ah I'm sorry to hear. The part that frustrates me is I was waitlisted for January 2020 when I had minimal clinical experience (I was doing family counselling), and since then I received a clinical therapist job under the expectation I will get my masters within 5 years, and have done multiple trainings etc. I also didn't change my statement all that much. 

Edited by Golden10

14 minutes ago, Golden10 said:

Ah I'm sorry to hear. The part that frustrates me is I was waitlisted for January 2020 when I had minimal clinical experience (I was doing family counselling), and since then I received a clinical therapist job under the expectation I will get my masters within 5 years, and have done multiple trainings etc. I also didn't change my statement all that much. 

I got into uoft but ended up moving so I won't be attenting uoft. Blah 

6 minutes ago, MSW Hopefully said:

Is anyone else confused by Laurier's advice for future applications in the rejection emails?

"Submit a thorough and complete admissions package" - I thought I did? 

Sorry to hear about these rejections! Damn. I suspect the PT online fall ones are next.

I don't have advice on their comment to submit a thorough admissions package, but I'd contact them for clarification for sure. 

2 hours ago, Golden10 said:

Sorry to hear that. That sounds so frustrating! I probably wouldn't have changed my statement much either if it had been successful in a previous application. I hope they can give you better advice on how to prepare and what to do differently. 

14 minutes ago, jmfmsw said:

Sorry to hear that. That sounds so frustrating! I probably wouldn't have changed my statement much either if it had been successful in a previous application. I hope they can give you better advice on how to prepare and what to do differently. 

did you end up getting accepted? @jmfmsw 

27 minutes ago, MSW Hopefully said:

Is anyone else confused by Laurier's advice for future applications in the rejection emails?

"Submit a thorough and complete admissions package" - I thought I did? 

My assumption would be its a generic email they send to everyone just to ensure. I also received the same feedback and I know everything they stated I had completed. Some may miss components of the application as a simple mistake. 

56 minutes ago, Golden10 said:

did you end up getting accepted? @jmfmsw 

@golden10 I have not received anything but I suspect I’ll get rejected based on my background and experience, esp in comparison to so many ppl here. Maybe it’s all alphabetical, my last name is M, so I expect it soon. My back up plan is a BSW, which will have to be ok. I won’t wait and keep reapplying to this MSW because of my age, education, time avail - I need to get working toward this so can get a job in the field. I’ll consider the MSW later, once I’m working. I think. 

I was wondering if anyone who has graduated from Ryerson's MSW program could offer me any insight as to how the program was/how they liked it, I'm struggling to make a decision about where I should go. 

Thank you!

On 5/11/2020 at 5:43 PM, N_D said:

Holy moly, just received an offer for an OGS to Ryerson ($15k) just as I was about to accept an offer to York because of their wild financial package ($18k). Anybody else happen to be in a similar predicament? RE: Contemplating Ryerson v. York; navigating financial decisions alongside program specifics. Would love to hear what others are taking into consideration and weighing!

I'm in the same situation as you! I just got offered the 15K today at Ryerson right when I accepted my offer to Windsor. The only thing I worry about with Ryerson is the MRP. What are your pros and cons for Ryerson?

On 5/11/2020 at 5:43 PM, N_D said:

Holy moly, just received an offer for an OGS to Ryerson ($15k) just as I was about to accept an offer to York because of their wild financial package ($18k). Anybody else happen to be in a similar predicament? RE: Contemplating Ryerson v. York; navigating financial decisions alongside program specifics. Would love to hear what others are taking into consideration and weighing!

I feel like it boils down to where you want to get experience. I finished my BSW at York and I personally wouldn't want to do an MSW there, as it continues to focus on critical aspects and doesn't differ all too much from the bachelors course work. I finished my BSW wanting to get clinical experience so I applied to UofT. Also, York's practicum mainly deals with non-profits if that is something that interests you. I'm not all that familiar with Ryerson, but perhaps looking into where they specialize would help you come to a decision based on what sort of work you want to apply yourself in.

1 hour ago, courtmsw said:

I'm in the same situation as you! I just got offered the 15K today at Ryerson right when I accepted my offer to Windsor. The only thing I worry about with Ryerson is the MRP. What are your pros and cons for Ryerson?

Sorry to jump in, when you applied for the Advance Standing MSW WP, how long did it take for you to get a decision offered? Thank you!!

2 hours ago, jmfmsw said:

@golden10 I have not received anything but I suspect I’ll get rejected based on my background and experience, esp in comparison to so many ppl here. Maybe it’s all alphabetical, my last name is M, so I expect it soon. My back up plan is a BSW, which will have to be ok. I won’t wait and keep reapplying to this MSW because of my age, education, time avail - I need to get working toward this so can get a job in the field. I’ll consider the MSW later, once I’m working. I think. 

My thought is they must have sent out only the one year MSW advanced standing and maybe they have not sent out the two year yet? My fingers are crossed for you!

I applied to WLU online part-time, MSW advanced standing (I already have a BSW) for September 2020 start and was waitlisted today. I was notified by email. There are approx 43 spots on the waitlist and they will not let you know where you are on the waitlist. Response is required by May 29 if I accept or decline a spot on the waitlist. Waitlist will stay open until August 31, 2020. I just checked LORIS and there is no update, it still shows my application details. I will be declining to go on the waitlist as I've accepted a spot elsewhere.

Posting this for any future applicants who obsess and read through old posts like I did. :)

Good luck to everyone.

7 hours ago, socialworkandcoffee said:

I applied to WLU online part-time, MSW advanced standing (I already have a BSW) for September 2020 start and was waitlisted today. I was notified by email. There are approx 43 spots on the waitlist and they will not let you know where you are on the waitlist. Response is required by May 29 if I accept or decline a spot on the waitlist. Waitlist will stay open until August 31, 2020. I just checked LORIS and there is no update, it still shows my application details. I will be declining to go on the waitlist as I've accepted a spot elsewhere.

Posting this for any future applicants who obsess and read through old posts like I did. :)

Good luck to everyone.

Out of curiosity which school did you get accepted to and what were your years of experience/education? 

12 hours ago, MSWWP111 said:

Sorry to jump in, when you applied for the Advance Standing MSW WP, how long did it take for you to get a decision offered? Thank you!!

I'm in the Advanced Standing (non working professional) stream at Windsor. I received my offer in early February. 

Good luck to you!