Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

On 5/15/2020 at 1:06 PM, asingh25 said:

hi there! i’m not quite sure about your first question but hopefully someone else would be able to help with that. in regards to your second question, i think your experience looks great, i would highlight your experience with seniors, the peer wellness education volunteering, and your tutoring experience, i think thats all really good, relevant experience! 3000 hours is perfectly fine, i got in with approx 1000 hours so don’t worry too much about numbers. focus on having a strong statement and references? best of luck and do let me know if you have any other questions! 

Great thank you! I'm going to try my best to do up my hours this coming year. On my application, am I allowed to cite hours that I will be doing (say I have been volunteering 10 hours/week for an organization and will continue to do so for x months after the application date), or ones that I have only so far completed?

In regards to my previous question, if I only take 8 courses over the course of Fall 2020 and Winter 2021 semesters, will the cumulative GPA of these courses be considered, or will they go back to a previous semester to calculate my GPA for my final 10 courses (I thought I'd reword it since my original question was anything but concise lol).

On 5/20/2020 at 6:46 PM, MSW2021RK said:

Congrats on your acceptance!! Do you mind sharing your experiences, GPA and when did you apply that helped getting into the program. Thanks!  

Hi!

Thank you! :)

I applied to the program back in January. I graduated with a Bachelor of Health Sciences and a Major in English from Western with an overall GPA of 3.7. I applied with a 1.5 year experience working at two different non-profit organizations which involved working directly in communities to deliver programs to families, youth and older adults. Other experiences that I highlighted in my application were tutoring English in a ESL Program and my involvements at Western including being a research assistant, being a member of student council, tutoring and being a member of an on-campus community volunteering club. I think that having more direct (vs. indirect) social work experiences would've made my application stronger as well as having more experiences in the workshop/conferences/certificates/etc. department. 

My best pieces of advice include choosing references that you know really well and that you have worked with to a great extent so that they can better speak on your strengths and suitability for the program. I am lucky to have had great references who were very supportive and with whom I've maintained relationships with beyond the application process.

I also recommend starting your application as soon as you can and really set aside some time each day or week to work on it. For instance, I dedicated every Saturday morning, starting 4 months before the application due date, to go to the library, shut my phone off and really tackle my applications.

Last, I strongly recommend immersing yourself into what you want to do. From finding events related to your field/specialization, going to workshops, talking with other applicants, etc. (obviously when everything resumes again!) will not only boost your application but will allow you to start to figure out if (blank) is what you want to be doing! 

I hope that helps and best of luck :)

4 hours ago, whimsical_wonderings said:

Great thank you! I'm going to try my best to do up my hours this coming year. On my application, am I allowed to cite hours that I will be doing (say I have been volunteering 10 hours/week for an organization and will continue to do so for x months after the application date), or ones that I have only so far completed?

In regards to my previous question, if I only take 8 courses over the course of Fall 2020 and Winter 2021 semesters, will the cumulative GPA of these courses be considered, or will they go back to a previous semester to calculate my GPA for my final 10 courses (I thought I'd reword it since my original question was anything but concise lol).

what i did was that i just made note of the hours i completed but i indicated that i was still in those positions so they knew that the number of hours were still increasing. for your second question, i'm honestly not too sure but i'd recommend reaching out to the schools you're interested in to see how they calculate gpa's :)

22 hours ago, Alyssa.O said:

Just wondering if anyone's heard from Lakehead's HBSW waitlist? I don't think I've seen anyone post about it!

My friend got her acceptance 3 weeks ago off the waitlist

Edited by skittles15

22 hours ago, Alyssa.O said:

Just wondering if anyone's heard from Lakehead's HBSW waitlist? I don't think I've seen anyone post about it!

I sent an email to Lakehead last week. The deadline for ppl on waitlist to accept offer is the end of this week. They will then contact more off the waitlist next week.

On 5/25/2020 at 11:46 AM, Alyssa.O said:

The first round of waitlist acceptances went out around May 12! I assume there will be a second round if people decline their offer off of the waitlist

On 5/25/2020 at 7:05 PM, mswbell said:

I don't think so. If you find/start one, let me know! :) 

Hi! I wasn't able to find an existing one on Facebook so I decided to just make one!

For anyone else attending the 2 Year MSW Program at UWin, here is the link to the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1032142447179676/ (or you can search "University of Windsor MSW Class of 2022") :) 

Edited by MSW_640

On 5/20/2020 at 7:29 PM, BellaMSW said:

Hey,

I have been waitlisted for the same specialization. Look like the waitlist hasn’t been moving in the last couple of days. I was informed that the last day to pay the deposit to secure a spot is June 1. So my guess is afterwards some spots may be available if people didn’t pay. 

Hello,

thank you for your response! 

Have you heard of or kniw anyone who has been taken on the waitlist for the Children and Families specialization at UofT? 

thank you

5 hours ago, SoooocialWork said:

Hello,

thank you for your response! 

Have you heard of or kniw anyone who has been taken on the waitlist for the Children and Families specialization at UofT? 

thank you

No I do not.

Hi! For those studying at UWin, where did you find your PIN in order to make a UWin Account? I cannot find my PIN in any of the emails or documents that I have received from the university. Any help would be super appreciated!!

On 5/22/2020 at 3:42 PM, MSW_640 said:

Hi!

Thank you! :)

I applied to the program back in January. I graduated with a Bachelor of Health Sciences and a Major in English from Western with an overall GPA of 3.7. I applied with a 1.5 year experience working at two different non-profit organizations which involved working directly in communities to deliver programs to families, youth and older adults. Other experiences that I highlighted in my application were tutoring English in a ESL Program and my involvements at Western including being a research assistant, being a member of student council, tutoring and being a member of an on-campus community volunteering club. I think that having more direct (vs. indirect) social work experiences would've made my application stronger as well as having more experiences in the workshop/conferences/certificates/etc. department. 

My best pieces of advice include choosing references that you know really well and that you have worked with to a great extent so that they can better speak on your strengths and suitability for the program. I am lucky to have had great references who were very supportive and with whom I've maintained relationships with beyond the application process.

I also recommend starting your application as soon as you can and really set aside some time each day or week to work on it. For instance, I dedicated every Saturday morning, starting 4 months before the application due date, to go to the library, shut my phone off and really tackle my applications.

Last, I strongly recommend immersing yourself into what you want to do. From finding events related to your field/specialization, going to workshops, talking with other applicants, etc. (obviously when everything resumes again!) will not only boost your application but will allow you to start to figure out if (blank) is what you want to be doing! 

I hope that helps and best of luck :)

Thank you for providing your recommendations! Is your program the regular 2-year MSW or is it the one for working professions?