Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

9 hours ago, IrisMSW-ITR said:

Can anyone tell me when U of T's application process opens for September 2021 entry to the MSW programs? I keep on checking their website but I can't find a concrete date. Thanks! 

Hi

Usually, MSW applications open in mid-October and close in early-mid December.  I applied to U of T last October for the 2020-2021 (September entry) and got accepted.  Application opened  in October 15th and the last day to submit all requirements was December 10th. Hope that helps 

On 6/28/2020 at 2:59 PM, olivolia said:

Would you be able to share your GPA/experience you have? 

Sure! I have a 3.7 GPA, and volunteered in several women's support groups for a few months each. I also worked at a women's centre for a little over a year until funding ran out, and have since stayed on the board. I was also on the board of a women's health centre for two years. I volunteered as a tutor in a program that supports youth in a low-income community, and that program was expanding every year, so after a year or so of volunteering, I got a job with them as a case manager. Had that job since and it's been almost 4 years.

On 6/2/2020 at 10:33 PM, rofskis said:

Hey, thank you! :) I have a BA in Psychology and an SSW diploma, with 2.5 years of paid work experience in a social service setting. I also started volunteering at three places: a nonprofit health agency, a crisis text line, and an agency focusing on people experiencing homelessness. Another way to supplement your application is with professional development and training - some great free online courses that you can take can be found on OCASI: learnatwork.ca and CAMH: https://moodle8.camhx.ca/moodle/.

I did all of the above because I was really worried about my chances since my GPA isn't super strong and I had already gotten rejected from York and U of T when I applied while completing my SSW diploma a few years ago, so I wanted to do as much as I possibly could this time around. 

Advice: start getting in contact with your references now and stay on top of communications so that they can give you a really solid reference when it's time! Take as many online courses/certifications as you can! Try to volunteer if you aren't already :) 

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions, happy to chat.

Congratulations on your offer of admission!! I am also hoping to get into the UWindsor Peel Regular Track MSW for working professionals. May I ask when did you apply for this program and when did you receive an offer? Thank you so much! 

On 4/28/2020 at 1:24 AM, Roo15 said:

Hey, congrats!! Did you apply to the Windsor or Peel campus? I got into the one for Working Professionals in Peel. 

Congrats on getting in!! May I ask what helped you strengthen your application, GPA, and how many hours of experience who had? Thank you so much! 

On 6/30/2020 at 5:44 PM, MSW2021RK said:

Congratulations on your offer of admission!! I am also hoping to get into the UWindsor Peel Regular Track MSW for working professionals. May I ask when did you apply for this program and when did you receive an offer? Thank you so much! 

Thank you :) I submitted my application in the first week of November and I received an offer the next week, which I was not expecting! I definitely lend the speed of response to the date that I applied - since applications open up in September and I think are due in May of the following year, my application was submitted relatively early. On UWindsor's website, they write: "This program practices "rolling admissions". We process complete applications as we receive them, and offers are extended on a first-come, first-serve basis until classes are full. We recommend applying early to avoid disappointment."

Essentially... apply as early as possible for the best chance! ? Good luck, rooting for you!

Hey everyone :) After looking for a Facebook group for the UWindsor MSWwp Regular Track 32-month Peel location (Class of 2023) for a few months with no success, I created one here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/978891365881308/ 

If the link doesn't work, you can search for 'UWindsor MSWwp 32 month - Class of 2023 (Peel location)' and you should be able to find it. Looking forward to connecting with you on there!

On 6/18/2020 at 3:58 PM, sofiahats said:

To anyone on the waitlist for UofT, did you ask Angela what the progress of your application was? I want to know where I stand (even though I've already accepted Humber College's offer for the addictions and mental health program) and see if maybe there is a chance I get in this year since I was waitlisted last year and then ultimately rejected in mid September.

Hey may I ask why that humber program as opposed to a SSW program (social service worker program)? I am considering going back to college after my BA so looking into relevant programs to boost experience. I'm looking at the Sheridan program, 2 year FT specifically. 

On 6/12/2020 at 10:26 PM, marymary1 said:

Hi! I'm new here and was browsing this thread - can you please tell me about the Lakehead HBSW? I'm thinking of applying to it. Is it competitive to get into? Thanks!

Hi! Sorry for my delay in response.

Lakehead's HBSW operates at two campuses, Orillia and Thunder Bay. They currently have very different programs compared to one another (in terms of how the year is laid out), however, regardless of campus you leave with your HBSW.

From what I heard, there was somewhere in the ballpark of about 200 applicants - however, I don't know if this is the cumulative number of applicants to both campuses, or if it was the number of applicants to the campus I was at. There were 21 people in my cohort and another 40-ish at the opposing campus.

The program was good, placements were great for almost all in my cohort. It is not offered online*. If you are willing to move to one of those areas (if you don't already live there), its a great option!

*at least while I was there; with covid, I'm sure things have changed.

Edited by VanSW

Hi there, I am currently a BSW student in my last year of undergrad. The majority of posts I see are people applying for the 2-year MSW. If there is anyone that have applied to any Advanced 1 Year MSW programs, I would appreciate it so much if you can PM me to answer questions and help ease my anxiety of the application process. I am looking at UBC, UofT, Ryerson University and Wilfrid Laurier University. Thank you and good luck to all. ❤️

Edited by socialworkit
Spelling

On 7/23/2020 at 12:36 PM, Socialworks said:

Hi, I’ve been on the wait list since March for UofT. Has anyone heard back and can someone speak to the process or how long it could take to hear back? Also, I heard it will be a mix of in person and online classes. 

i emailed angela to ask (i am on the waitlist for the 2 year program) and she said it closes sept 9

On 7/24/2020 at 5:49 PM, asingh25 said:

i emailed angela to ask (i am on the waitlist for the 2 year program) and she said it closes sept 9

Thank you for your response. Ah sept 9 seems so far away. How are you feeling about this long wait? I’m such a planner, it’s tough.

On 7/10/2020 at 4:21 PM, ntsgrg said:

Hey may I ask why that humber program as opposed to a SSW program (social service worker program)? I am considering going back to college after my BA so looking into relevant programs to boost experience. I'm looking at the Sheridan program, 2 year FT specifically. 

Hey! Sorry for a late response. I didn't choose it opposed to an SSW program. It is a post-grad certificate program as I already have my SSW diploma as well as a applied sciences degree in family and community social services. I graduated from University of Guelph-Humber where I did a degree and diploma at the same time. Since I had my doubts about getting into UofT for my MSW I decided to also apply to the post-grad certificate program. It is only a one year (3 semester) program that you can only take once you have completed undergraduate studies.

Edited by sofiahats
update

On 7/27/2020 at 3:31 PM, Socialworks said:

Thank you for your response. Ah sept 9 seems so far away. How are you feeling about this long wait? I’m such a planner, it’s tough.

not v pleased about it :( i guess they just want to keep it open until the first day of class but it definitely is tough to plan accordingly with so much uncertainty! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 10:10 AM, ksMSW2020 said:

Still nothing...I feel like a ton of people haven’t heard back....starting to get a little anxious to be honest 

Yes. I am in the same position and also feeling a tad anxious. 

Hi!
I am starting my MSW (advanced standing) this fall at u of t. Second time applying - was waitlisted last year. Also got into a few others (Waterloo, Dal, York). 
if anyone has any questions about the application processes, my education or experience, feel free to ask either here or in a DM! I know it’s a stressful and nerve racking process ❤️

Hi everyone! 
I received my acceptance for the January 2021 start for Advance Standing MSW at Windsor for working professionals. I was originally waitlisted for the September 2020 start (I figure because of rolling admission I was waitlisted, considering I applied much closer to the deadline). Happy to have heard back and join the program in January! Is there anyone else who is starting in January? Has a Facebook or google hang outs been created yet? 

Want to thank so many awesome folks on this forum who have provided encouragement and useful insight through this process. 

Goodluck to everyone!