Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

22 hours ago, Socialworks said:

Does anyone know why UofT is taking so long to update us? What’s the official start day for the advanced standing MSW? I feel like this is ridiculously long:’( 

this is what i was told by Angela on august 31: If there is any change, we will contact you by email.   The wait-list is kept open until early September.  If there is no change in your status, the committee will close the wait-list by mid-September and you will be sent a new decision document via the SGS portal.

3 hours ago, asingh25 said:

this is what i was told by Angela on august 31: If there is any change, we will contact you by email.   The wait-list is kept open until early September.  If there is no change in your status, the committee will close the wait-list by mid-September and you will be sent a new decision document via the SGS portal.

That’s so helpful to know, thank you and best of luck in your journey!

On 8/31/2020 at 5:15 PM, Socialworks said:

Does anyone know why UofT is taking so long to update us? What’s the official start day for the advanced standing MSW? I feel like this is ridiculously long:’( 

Last year when I was waitlisted I think I heard back by about the 10th of September saying I did not get off the list. 

I was accepted in March this year to the advanced standing program. Our classes start on Monday, September 14th, so I’m assuming they’ll let you know either way the week before. 

Good luck to everyone still waiting ?

2 hours ago, SOCIALWERK2020 said:

Last year when I was waitlisted I think I heard back by about the 10th of September saying I did not get off the list. 

I was accepted in March this year to the advanced standing program. Our classes start on Monday, September 14th, so I’m assuming they’ll let you know either way the week before. 

Good luck to everyone still waiting ?

Ok, I can hang on a little longer. I’ve already made plans to accept a full time work position, we’ll see what happens.

Aw that’s so exciting, congratulations to you. Wishing you all the best ❤️

Hi all, wondering if anyone has heard back from Wilfred Laurier about online MSW applications for January start... Refreshing my email every 10 seconds here! 

I know it's super competitive, and I have limited experience in the field (several years volunteering at community organizations, including a women's health clinic and a shelter), but was a straight A student in my MA (cultural studies). Has anyone been accepted or waitlisted who has a strong academic and research background in social sciences but not a ton of experience?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

13 hours ago, b.unrau said:

Hi all, wondering if anyone has heard back from Wilfred Laurier about online MSW applications for January start... Refreshing my email every 10 seconds here! 

I know it's super competitive, and I have limited experience in the field (several years volunteering at community organizations, including a women's health clinic and a shelter), but was a straight A student in my MA (cultural studies). Has anyone been accepted or waitlisted who has a strong academic and research background in social sciences but not a ton of experience?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

I spoke to the admissions folks last week and they let me know that they roll out decisions mid-September. Judging from previous years it will likely be around the week of the 14th that we start hearing back! 

On ‎2020‎/‎08‎/‎31 at 12:25 PM, MSWWP111 said:

Hi everyone! 
I received my acceptance for the January 2021 start for Advance Standing MSW at Windsor for working professionals. I was originally waitlisted for the September 2020 start (I figure because of rolling admission I was waitlisted, considering I applied much closer to the deadline). Happy to have heard back and join the program in January! Is there anyone else who is starting in January? Has a Facebook or google hang outs been created yet? 

Want to thank so many awesome folks on this forum who have provided encouragement and useful insight through this process. 

Goodluck to everyone! 

Hey! Congratulations! I also just received my acceptance off the waitlist for Jan 2021 start in Peel!  I am so thrilled!

Will you be in Peel? I would also love to know anyone else we will be studying with.

On 9/2/2020 at 1:17 AM, Socialworks said:

Ok, I can hang on a little longer. I’ve already made plans to accept a full time work position, we’ll see what happens.

Aw that’s so exciting, congratulations to you. Wishing you all the best ❤️

That’s great that you have a job lined up just in case! Is it in the social services? If so, I think it would make you even more competitive if you decide to apply again!

On 9/7/2020 at 7:23 PM, SOCIALWERK2020 said:

That’s great that you have a job lined up just in case! Is it in the social services? If so, I think it would make you even more competitive if you decide to apply again!

It’s with the school board so I’ll continue to work hard and there’s always next year. Aww very true, appreciate it :)

On 9/5/2020 at 10:55 AM, youngbswtomsw said:

Hey! Congratulations! I also just received my acceptance off the waitlist for Jan 2021 start in Peel!  I am so thrilled!

Will you be in Peel? I would also love to know anyone else we will be studying with.

For anyone else studying in Peel for the Windsor MSWwp program (16 month advance track) I created a Facebook group! 

Feel free to add me! Look forward to connecting with any folks in this cohort! :) 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/809132539831912/?ref=share

47 minutes ago, skittles15 said:

some people have heard but I haven't yet :(

Have people started hearing back already? The admissions people did say a few weeks ago that it would be mid-September, but I haven't heard anything either... Last I applied I heard on the 6th of the "target" month. (ie, Sept 1, Jan 1, May 1 are the targets for offers). 

On 9/14/2020 at 2:57 PM, HopefulandCurious said:

Have people started hearing back already? The admissions people did say a few weeks ago that it would be mid-September, but I haven't heard anything either... Last I applied I heard on the 6th of the "target" month. (ie, Sept 1, Jan 1, May 1 are the targets for offers). 

i still haven't heard anything, gah this is stressful

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 5:44 PM, nicoleMSW said:

Hello! Just wanted to reintroduce myself on this thread like I did last year :) I am currently in year 2 of the 2 year MSW at Laurier! I am in the on-campus program, feel free to ask any questions :) 

2nd year is busy so I will reply when possible!

On 10/24/2019 at 12:20 AM, VanSW said:

Hey, I'm in the HBSW program currently if you (or if others reading this) have questions! 

On 10/24/2019 at 5:08 PM, aspiringmsw2019 said:

Hello everyone! I am currently a first year student in the 2-year MSW program at Laurier! I know exactly what you are all going through. If anyone has any questions or would like further insight about Laurier's program, let me know! I'd be happy to help. :)

Good luck!

On 4/2/2020 at 12:18 PM, sunflower21 said:

I'm sorry to hear that! I had applied to 2-year programs several years ago and was rejected. I then applied for the 1-year HBSW program at Lakehead which I'm in now! It has been a great experience - quite intense - but you complete the program within a year and then you can apply to the advanced standing programs. I applied for advanced standing programs while enrolled in this program and I'll be attending my MSW in the fall! So, it's definitely a great option to avoid the 2-year programs which are very competitive! 

Feel free to message me if you have any questions - I would definitely recommend it! 

Hey there, I would love to hear more about the student perspective of both the 2 year MSW at WLU and the HBSW program... are any of you are still open to answering questions?

Posted in another forum but this one seems more active...

Hello! I have applied for the WLU online May 2021. I did this rather spur of the moment and did not realize how competitive it is! I am a "mature" applicant....I am concerend about my lack of volunteer hours and my personal statement (where I kind of went a bit rogue about oppression)  ...here is a snap shot of my experience..

- 13 years full time college instructor, advisor and practicum supervisor in community serives

- 1 year contract Consulting (Indigenous curriculum development, workshop facilitation and in community conflict resolution)

- 3 years Provincial Foster Parent Appeal Adjudicator 

- 7 years full time case management and family/community work

- Master of  Interdisciplinary Studies (Adult Education) 3.97 GPA 

I have read a few different opinions on how WLU weighs things...any thoughts? Id also like to clarify how many students are accepted in each intake? I think applications for online are way up due to covid....Nervous now!

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2019 at 4:08 PM, aspiringmsw2019 said:

Hello everyone! I am currently a first year student in the 2-year MSW program at Laurier! I know exactly what you are all going through. If anyone has any questions or would like further insight about Laurier's program, let me know! I'd be happy to help. :)

Good luck!

Hey! I know your post is from a year ago, but I have just applied to the 2 year MSW online program. I am about to finish my undergrad in Early Childhood Education (Honours) and have about 10 years experience working in the field of Early Childhood Education, my current job for the last 2 and a half years has been a consultant where I mentor other educators. Do you know what admissions looks for when considering who gets accepted into the program?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi all, so happy to have found this forum and to be able to read through everyone's experiences (can relate to the struggle of trying to figure out what to do with your life!). I thought I might take a chance and reach out to see if anyone could provide any advice about my standing as a future applicant? I would really appreciate insight from people familiar with the process of applying to a MSW! Info about my experiences:

I have a bachelor's in psychology with a 3.7 cumulative gpa and 4.0 over the last 2 years. Until recently I've always planned on applying to Clinical Psychology and have therefore focused on getting a lot of research experience during undergrad (though having decided that a MSW is more in line with my passions/career goals, I am worried this may not be very relevant experience for MSW programs...). I received a summer studentship award to do research during my undergrad, have a journal publication, and currently work as a full-time Research Assistant in a child psychology lab (and anticipate working a total of 2 years in this lab). I also have the following volunteer experience: four years as a buddy/companion for adults with intellectual/physical disabilities, one year on a crisis support line, one year volunteering with a program aimed to empower young girls, experience volunteering in 3 different research labs (though not sure how relevant this would be?), and currently volunteering at a sexual violence hotline.

This has gotten really long (thanks to anyone who made it through lol) but would really appreciate feedback as I am less familiar with the competitiveness of MSW programs. Basically I am wondering if I have a shot at all, and if my volunteer/paid time in research would be worth anything when applying to a MSW next fall or if I should be trying to find a more "human services oriented" job next year prior to applying. Would SO appreciate any feedback that people are willing to provide! Thank you!!!! 

Hello everyone, 

I want to apply to a few canadian MSW programs, not immediately but in 1-2 years. I wanted to see if anyone had a background in ECE and got accepted. Most of my experience with youth is working as an ECA and I am unsure if that would be seen as competitive experience. Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 1:06 PM, asingh25 said:

hi there! i’m not quite sure about your first question but hopefully someone else would be able to help with that. in regards to your second question, i think your experience looks great, i would highlight your experience with seniors, the peer wellness education volunteering, and your tutoring experience, i think thats all really good, relevant experience! 3000 hours is perfectly fine, i got in with approx 1000 hours so don’t worry too much about numbers. focus on having a strong statement and references? best of luck and do let me know if you have any other questions! 

what university did you get into?