Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

On 5/17/2020 at 8:21 PM, skittles15 said:

Hey everyone!

This is my first time using this forum and I was wondering has anyone applied to the Jan 2021 start for the advanced standing online program at Laurier or have any feedback about Laurier? :)

Hey I applied to this as well. I can't believe we have to wait till September to find out! This is also my first time applying!

5 hours ago, AlexBeans said:

Does anyone know if Angela at UfT would be willing to have a conversation about your application and where to improve?

thank you for mentioning this question. Ive been waitlisted as well therefore Id really like to have a conversation about what I can improve on.

For those waiting to hear from Laurier's PT fall 2020 MSW (non BSW) program - I am hoping that this week is the week we'll hear. Last week was the fall advanced standing, so I think we're the last group. Last Wednesday they reported whether they got in or not, so I'm hoping today or tomorrow Laurier will start emailing us.

Edited by jmfmsw

23 hours ago, AlexBeans said:

I would've thought they hated people badgering them constantly! I was thinking about sending an email asking If angela would be willing to talk to me over the phone about where I can improve on my application (i'm on the waitlist right now) What advice would you give regarding advocating for yourself? I don't want to be constantly emailing and bothering them but dang i want to get in haha.

I would've thought the same thing. But I emailed Angela highlighting some of the specific things I've done since being waitlisted last year (like retaking courses, employment history), and asked for advice around putting together a more competitive application for next year. I highlighted my continued interest in the program, and she referred me to Terry Gardiner to speak further about the questions I had. Apparently he's the person to speak to if you are looking for more specific advice, especially if you're considering applying again.

I definitely wouldn't go overboard with emailing them, but continued correspondence over the next few weeks couldn't hurt!

For those who have been accepted off U of T's waitlist, I am just wondering if you are completing your undergrad and graduating this year (i.e., heard back before submitting winter term grades), or have graduated in a previous year before this one? 

Edited by 1998khlc
grammar

On 5/12/2020 at 4:50 PM, courtmsw said:

I'm in the same situation as you! I just got offered the 15K today at Ryerson right when I accepted my offer to Windsor. The only thing I worry about with Ryerson is the MRP. What are your pros and cons for Ryerson?

Congratulations on the scholarship and your acceptances! Pro for Ryerson, as trite as it may be, is geography. I'd love to be able to be within close proximity/low commute to the campus and be able to live downtown. I've spoken to a few alumni who have all raved about their experiences at Ryerson, and it seems like it has a good foundation in community-oriented anti-o practice. The main con is cost of tuition; at least compared to York (almost double), and lack of elective offerings. The MRP isn't too much of a deterrent, surprisingly. I have a friend who did his MSW at Ryerson and chose to do an autoethnography for his MRP (essential a giant reflection paper). 

How about for you in terms of pros and cons?

On 5/13/2020 at 11:29 AM, attempting said:

I am also contemplating ryerson vs york and got an OGS offer from ryerson. York was always my first option because I feel like it would be a better program for me. They have practicum placements with agencies I want to work at. I have also recently read some bad practices about ryersons social work program. And with ryersons recent termination with the student union, it is unclear if students with even get an insurance plan and other protections/resources.

But i also will probably choose york because I want to be able to work part-time and the OGS requires that you do not work more than 10hrs a week. Also I will still get more financial support from york in than ryerson (because they withdraw scholarship funding if you receive OGS). 

Ultimately, both packages are great. So I think it comes down to what you want to get out of the program. 

Thanks so much for all this info! Being from outside of Ontario and the GTA, I feel pretty disconnected from the local politics at both of these campuses. If you have links to some of the practices RE: Ryersons program and wouldn't mind DM'ing them to me, that would be great! I'll try to dig around a bit more as well. 

Congrats on your acceptances and your decision to go to York! Maybe we'll be in a cohort together this fall :)

1 hour ago, 1998khlc said:

For those who have been accepted off U of T's waitlist, I am just wondering if you are completing your undergrad and graduating this year (i.e., heard back before submitting winter term grades), or have graduated in a previous year before this one? 

Graduated in 2019, therefore all my grades were in at the time the application was due. 

3 hours ago, N_D said:

Congratulations on the scholarship and your acceptances! Pro for Ryerson, as trite as it may be, is geography. I'd love to be able to be within close proximity/low commute to the campus and be able to live downtown. I've spoken to a few alumni who have all raved about their experiences at Ryerson, and it seems like it has a good foundation in community-oriented anti-o practice. The main con is cost of tuition; at least compared to York (almost double), and lack of elective offerings. The MRP isn't too much of a deterrent, surprisingly. I have a friend who did his MSW at Ryerson and chose to do an autoethnography for his MRP (essential a giant reflection paper). 

How about for you in terms of pros and cons?

If you live in Toronto that's super convenient! I live in Hamilton and I don't know if I want to deal with commuting constantly. However, it will most likely be moved online for the fall. I also am not a huge fan with Ryerson's courses because it's heavily critical, which is good but I feel like I need more clinical learning now. Really, my main pro for Ryerson is the funding. It's so hard to make a decision! 

On 4/25/2020 at 1:33 PM, therise said:

Hey everyone 

Was admitted to u Windsor for their two year program at the beginning of this month. Are there many people going there in the fall in this thread?

Hey!! Congrats on your admission! Do you mind sharing your experiences and GPA that helped getting into the program? Thanks!! 

On 4/30/2020 at 6:59 PM, MSW_640 said:

Hey everyone!

I got accepted off the waitlist for Windsor's 2-Year MSW Program today! The waitlist is definitely moving :)

Congrats on your acceptance!! Do you mind sharing your experiences, GPA and when did you apply that helped getting into the program. Thanks!  

On 5/19/2020 at 1:25 PM, SoooocialWork said:

Hello,

I have been waitlisted at uoft (Children and Families) - has anyone declined there offer ? 
Just trying to gain some hope. 

has any been taken off the waitlist for this specialization at uoft?

Hey,

I have been waitlisted for the same specialization. Look like the waitlist hasn’t been moving in the last couple of days. I was informed that the last day to pay the deposit to secure a spot is June 1. So my guess is afterwards some spots may be available if people didn’t pay. 

Just got my rejection letter to the part time MSW online program at Laurier. I knew it was coming after my rejection from UofT as Laurier seemed even more competitive. The letter said there was 25 spots and 230 applicants "that met their minimum requirements". The average candidate had 9 years of relevant experience. Congrats to all who got in this program you should feel very proud of yourself! I will be applying to BSW fast tracked programs for 2021- the Orillia Lakehead is my first choice but I will also apply to Dalihouse, University of Manitoba and University of Victoria. Feel free to DM me if you are an applicant who did not get in who will be taking a BSW route before applying again to a masters! :) 

24 minutes ago, Juli3270 said:

Just got my rejection letter to the part time MSW online program at Laurier. I knew it was coming after my rejection from UofT as Laurier seemed even more competitive. The letter said there was 25 spots and 230 applicants "that met their minimum requirements". The average candidate had 9 years of relevant experience. Congrats to all who got in this program you should feel very proud of yourself! I will be applying to BSW fast tracked programs for 2021- the Orillia Lakehead is my first choice but I will also apply to Dalihouse, University of Manitoba and University of Victoria. Feel free to DM me if you are an applicant who did not get in who will be taking a BSW route before applying again to a masters! :) 

Same. I'm disappointed but not surprised. I'm going to do a BSW and reapply in the future. I need to do it online though, so I have some research to do. It's probably too late to apply for Fall 2020 for that at many places. Are you looking to do it online as well?

On 5/19/2020 at 3:13 PM, N_D said:

Thanks so much for all this info! Being from outside of Ontario and the GTA, I feel pretty disconnected from the local politics at both of these campuses. If you have links to some of the practices RE: Ryersons program and wouldn't mind DM'ing them to me, that would be great! I'll try to dig around a bit more as well. 

Congrats on your acceptances and your decision to go to York! Maybe we'll be in a cohort together this fall :)

I sent you a DM. Hope the info is helpful!

It would be great to have you in the fall cohort if you choose york!