Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

I also received a waitlist offer for the Part-Time Online Advanced Standing MSW starting in September at WLU but have declined as well to pursue an offer elsewhere! Just to give people a piece of mind that offers are rolling out and there are 43 spots on the waitlist!

For those who have applied or got accepted into any MSW program- I would like to ask a question.

When you apply or accept the offer, what elements do you think most importantly to choose a university? Such as funding, the name value, location or anything you considered for your purpose of studying MSW.

I’m currently accepted into a BSW program and already considering to apply for MSW program upon graduation so would like to have some thoughts or opinions to choose a right school. 

if you could give me any advices or opinions or info I will very appreciate it and it will be very helpful for me to choose a good school later!

Thanks in advance and good luck everyone for your journey of study in Social Work :)

1 hour ago, Pigoo said:

For those who have applied or got accepted into any MSW program- I would like to ask a question.

When you apply or accept the offer, what elements do you think most importantly to choose a university? Such as funding, the name value, location or anything you considered for your purpose of studying MSW.

I’m currently accepted into a BSW program and already considering to apply for MSW program upon graduation so would like to have some thoughts or opinions to choose a right school. 

if you could give me any advices or opinions or info I will very appreciate it and it will be very helpful for me to choose a good school later!

Thanks in advance and good luck everyone for your journey of study in Social Work :)

I looked at :

1. funding

2. practicum placements (I.e. does the school have relationships with community organizations that I want experience in).

3. The focus of the school (e.g. clinical, critical, etc). Does this fit with what I want to learn/how I want to practice.

4. Research component (I specifically wanted a program that included a research component, but maybe you want a program with no research project).

5. Courses and if they fit with my interests/what i want to learn.

6. Previous students' experience with that program. 

7. If the school walks the talk of what they teach. Are they touting anti-oppressive frameworks while reinforcing oppressive systems? Of course all universities are inherently oppressive because they are part of post secondary institutions, so this is relative.

On 5/11/2020 at 5:43 PM, N_D said:

Holy moly, just received an offer for an OGS to Ryerson ($15k) just as I was about to accept an offer to York because of their wild financial package ($18k). Anybody else happen to be in a similar predicament? RE: Contemplating Ryerson v. York; navigating financial decisions alongside program specifics. Would love to hear what others are taking into consideration and weighing!

I am also contemplating ryerson vs york and got an OGS offer from ryerson. York was always my first option because I feel like it would be a better program for me. They have practicum placements with agencies I want to work at. I have also recently read some bad practices about ryersons social work program. And with ryersons recent termination with the student union, it is unclear if students with even get an insurance plan and other protections/resources.

But i also will probably choose york because I want to be able to work part-time and the OGS requires that you do not work more than 10hrs a week. Also I will still get more financial support from york in than ryerson (because they withdraw scholarship funding if you receive OGS). 

Ultimately, both packages are great. So I think it comes down to what you want to get out of the program. 

4 hours ago, courtmsw said:

I'm in the Advanced Standing (non working professional) stream at Windsor. I received my offer in early February. 

Good luck to you!

Congrats on getting in!

Looking at the Windsor program and wondering what your experience and education level is. 

1 hour ago, attempting said:

I looked at :

1. funding

2. practicum placements (I.e. does the school have relationships with community organizations that I want experience in).

3. The focus of the school (e.g. clinical, critical, etc). Does this fit with what I want to learn/how I want to practice.

4. Research component (I specifically wanted a program that included a research component, but maybe you want a program with no research project).

5. Courses and if they fit with my interests/what i want to learn.

6. Previous students' experience with that program. 

7. If the school walks the talk of what they teach. Are they touting anti-oppressive frameworks while reinforcing oppressive systems? Of course all universities are inherently oppressive because they are part of post secondary institutions, so this is relative.

Thanks so much. You gave me all the information that I was wondering about!

It will help me a lot for my decision later! 
I do appreciate your answer:))

2 hours ago, BellaMSW said:

Congrats on getting in!

Looking at the Windsor program and wondering what your experience and education level is. 

Thank you!

I just graduated with my BSW in April from Laurier. I have volunteered at a non-profit since 2017, worked at a retirement home for 4 years and had placements at St Joseph's Healthcare and Hamilton Wentworth District School Board. In terms of research, I worked as a research assistant for one of my professors last summer as well acted as a "research apprentice" where I developed a study on gentrification/homelessness. I really think research experiences helps build MSW applications & if you're interested you could email some professors and ask them if they are looking for any help with their studies. That's what I did last year, because I knew I was going to be applying to MSW's and knew it was going to be quite competitive. It really paid off for me in the end.

When are you planning on applying?

Hi Everyone, 

Long time lurker. I didn't apply this year, I applied last year and did not get in but wanted to try again for Fall 2021. I am feeling quite discouraged though, so would love some guidance from anyone that was in my similar position. 

I have my undergrad in Psych, low gpa cumulatively :(  but 79% gpa in the last two years. Low research methods mark. & have been working in various Mental Health Clinics doing clinic intake, admin and light psychometry for the last 4 years. After I got my first rejection, I decided to apply to volunteer with Kids Help Phone crisis text line. So far ive been really enjoying it these last 7 months and by the time of application, will have accumulated 400 hours. I also got my ASIST certification. 

I'm hoping to apply to UWindsor's MSW for Working professionals program, Laurier's part time online and considering doing a post bsw program to make up for the lack of direct experience and marks.. My issue is my restrictions in not having a BSW, and geographical location (I can't go anywhere outside of GTA really). I applied to UofT and was considering re applying, but my marks are too low and I just think it would be a waste of money tbh. I am also considering taking an online research methods course to boost that mark up next year so that I can reapply to UofT, its just paying the 1k hurts a lil especially during this time lol. 

Would appreciate any guidance, if any. Thanks in advance<3.

On 4/28/2020 at 1:24 AM, Roo15 said:

Hey, congrats!! Did you apply to the Windsor or Peel campus? I got into the one for Working Professionals in Peel. 

Hey, congrats first of all. May I ask what your background or experience was going into that program? I am interested in that program as well. Thanks in advance.

38 minutes ago, courtmsw said:

Thank you!

I just graduated with my BSW in April from Laurier. I have volunteered at a non-profit since 2017, worked at a retirement home for 4 years and had placements at St Joseph's Healthcare and Hamilton Wentworth District School Board. In terms of research, I worked as a research assistant for one of my professors last summer as well acted as a "research apprentice" where I developed a study on gentrification/homelessness. I really think research experiences helps build MSW applications & if you're interested you could email some professors and ask them if they are looking for any help with their studies. That's what I did last year, because I knew I was going to be applying to MSW's and knew it was going to be quite competitive. It really paid off for me in the end.

When are you planning on applying?

Applied for fall 2020 but have been waitlisted from University of Toronto and denied from Lauriers Advanced online program. Still waiting to hear back from York about there advanced program. 

Looking into the idea of applying next year or the year after that to some more schools. Hopefully with some added experience I’d be able to get in. Most of my experience is in child welfare, classrooms or crisis hotline settings. Mostly through volunteering. Don’t have much experience in research. 

I just received an email stating that I was put onto the waitlist. Sigh. Does anyone know how long the waitlist is for MSW WP Advance Standing at Windsor? In the email it stated that it cannot disclose where you stand on the waitlist. 

8 minutes ago, MSWWP111 said:

I just received an email stating that I was put onto the waitlist. Sigh. Does anyone know how long the waitlist is for MSW WP Advance Standing at Windsor? In the email it stated that it cannot disclose where you stand on the waitlist. 

Just curious about your levels of experience? Interested in applying to this program in the next few years. 

1 hour ago, MSWWP111 said:

I was put on the wait list today too.

1 hour ago, MMSW5 said:

I was put on the wait list today too.

Wishing us luck, I can't say that I'm not disappointed. When did you apply? I have a friend who got accepted in March, and I had double their years/hours of experience and a better GPA. So just trying to rationalize here if its because I'm about to do the Windsor Stats course starting next week (they offer the inter spring/summer stats course), and if because I applied at end of April and should have applied sooner?

Edited by MSWWP111

5 hours ago, Pigoo said:

Thanks so much. You gave me all the information that I was wondering about!

It will help me a lot for my decision later! 
I do appreciate your answer:))

No problem! Glad to help :)

1 hour ago, MSWWP111 said:

Wishing us luck, I can't say that I'm not disappointed. When did you apply? I have a friend who got accepted in March, and I had double their years/hours of experience and a better GPA. So just trying to rationalize here if its because I'm about to do the Windsor Stats course starting next week (they offer the inter spring/summer stats course), and if because I applied at end of April and should have applied sooner?

I applied on April 15th. I guess they don't have any available spots because we applied late. If we don't get in, we can try to apply earlier next time.

Edited by MMSW5

32 minutes ago, MMSW5 said:

I applied on April 15th. I guess they don't have any available spots because we applied late. If we don't get in, we can try to apply earlier next time.

Sigh well goodluck :(! I'll be really disappointed. Unfortunately this was the earliest I could get my application in due to some personal circumstances. This is the only option that works best for both my current lifestyle/career/learning style. 

Hope we both hear back soon that the waitlist is moving. Anyone know how many spots there are?

I've recently been accepted into an MSW program for September- I'd already accepted for U of T, but between COVID and the tuition differences, it looks like the second MSW program is a better option. Is it..possible to tell U of T that I'm switching programs at this late stage? I still haven't paid my deposit. 

11 minutes ago, SquigglesSquiggles said:

I've recently been accepted into an MSW program for September- I'd already accepted for U of T, but between COVID and the tuition differences, it looks like the second MSW program is a better option. Is it..possible to tell U of T that I'm switching programs at this late stage? I still haven't paid my deposit. 

If you haven’t paid a deposit it’s not too late to switch schools. Just email Angela to find out the process. It may just be a matter of informing her you are no longer going to attend in September. 

I was also accepted to U of T (advanced standing) but I have chosen to defer to Sept. 2021. Thankfully my admission will be guaranteed still (you don’t have to apply again if you defer). I’m hoping things will be a bit more settled by that time - but who knows!

Hey everyone! I have a BA in Psychology, minor in Counseling and Human Development. I have been considering MSW programs that look only at the last 2 years (60 credits) of my transcript because my cumulative GPA is not high enough (sitting at 2.5). I plan on applying next year. 

Is it possible to get in a MSW program with a cum. GPA of 2.9 combined from my last 60 credits? 

I also have extensive volunteer experiences and plan on applying for social work-related jobs after this summer. I believe that my experience would bring me luck for the MSW applications but I'm not sure with my GPA. 

What schools should I consider? I'm also considering programs in the US as well. 

Edited by adrxoxo

On 5/12/2020 at 3:32 PM, Golden10 said:

Ah I'm sorry to hear. The part that frustrates me is I was waitlisted for January 2020 when I had minimal clinical experience (I was doing family counselling), and since then I received a clinical therapist job under the expectation I will get my masters within 5 years, and have done multiple trainings etc. I also didn't change my statement all that much. 

Oh no, that is so frustrating! You were waitlisted the first time, and rejected the second time? This is what I am afraid of... Waitlisted the first time I applied, now waiting on Jan 2021 decisions...