Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

Hi there,

I am not a current applicant but a potential future applicant! I had a few questions regarding having a competitive application:

1) In terms of courses, do I need a full 10 courses in my last year? I have/will be taking a few summer school courses, so that brings my Fall 2020/Winter 2021 semesters down to 8 courses total. I went on an exchange the previous semester where the school basically did not give anyone A's as a policy, so I don't want those grades to be looked at by admissions committees. I am taking one summer school course this year. Do they look at the last 10 courses at the time of application (meaning they would go into my 3rd year exchange semester), or only fourth year courses (I know some programs look at final 2 years, but the ones I'm interested in are only final year).

2) Do volunteer hours have to be very specifically traditional social-service work? I plan on getting volunteer experience this summer chatting one-on-one with seniors in long-term-care facilities. Besides that, is volunteer tutoring applicable? I also have over 600 hours of volunteer coaching (sports) and peer wellness education volunteering at my university. Would these be relevant to my application?

Sorry about all the rambling, I have been pointed in this direction very recently and am trying to find out as much as I can! I realize that it's a long-shot for me to get in next year (based on my current lack of volunteer experience - I fall way short of 3000 hours), but I'd like to get my ducks in a row anyhow :)

Any insights would be appreciated! Good luck with your applications.

Edited by whimsical_wonderings
grammar

30 minutes ago, yourxiaolongboo said:

did they mention to what extent it would be in person/in what scenarios?

this is what parts of the email said:

Ensuring our students have access to a high-quality experience
To the extent possible and with physical distancing measures in place, we are planning to offer selected in-person smaller classes and tutorials, experiential activities such as studio and labs, and re-establish access to our research facilities.

Being sufficiently flexible to provide equitable access for students
We understand that not everyone will be able to make it to campus in the fall. Course delivery is being planned with enough flexibility to provide access for all students, considering your different geographic locations and time zones, as well as considerations for health, family status and accommodations for students with disabilities.

Whether you join us on or off campus, we will connect you with peers, mentors and your Faculty advising team to enhance your experience.

Scheduling courses to enable progression
Students who begin Fall Term courses in a remote/online format normally will be able to complete the entire course remotely/online if they wish. Instructors will let you know at the outset if the course will require you to attend on campus at any point during the Fall 2020 Term. If the course has an optional in-person component, you will be provided with alternative remote access to those learning activities.

3 hours ago, whimsical_wonderings said:

Hi there,

I am not a current applicant but a potential future applicant! I had a few questions regarding having a competitive application:

1) In terms of courses, do I need a full 10 courses in my last year? I have/will be taking a few summer school courses, so that brings my Fall 2020/Winter 2021 semesters down to 8 courses total. I went on an exchange the previous semester where the school basically did not give anyone A's as a policy, so I don't want those grades to be looked at by admissions committees. I am taking one summer school course this year. Do they look at the last 10 courses at the time of application (meaning they would go into my 3rd year exchange semester), or only fourth year courses (I know some programs look at final 2 years, but the ones I'm interested in are only final year).

2) Do volunteer hours have to be very specifically traditional social-service work? I plan on getting volunteer experience this summer chatting one-on-one with seniors in long-term-care facilities. Besides that, is volunteer tutoring applicable? I also have over 600 hours of volunteer coaching (sports) and peer wellness education volunteering at my university. Would these be relevant to my application?

Sorry about all the rambling, I have been pointed in this direction very recently and am trying to find out as much as I can! I realize that it's a long-shot for me to get in next year (based on my current lack of volunteer experience - I fall way short of 3000 hours), but I'd like to get my ducks in a row anyhow :)

Any insights would be appreciated! Good luck with your applications.

hi there! i’m not quite sure about your first question but hopefully someone else would be able to help with that. in regards to your second question, i think your experience looks great, i would highlight your experience with seniors, the peer wellness education volunteering, and your tutoring experience, i think thats all really good, relevant experience! 3000 hours is perfectly fine, i got in with approx 1000 hours so don’t worry too much about numbers. focus on having a strong statement and references? best of luck and do let me know if you have any other questions! 

On 5/16/2020 at 7:38 AM, PESocialW said:

Anymore movement from the UofT 2 Year MSW waitlist? 

FIFSW is accepting people off the waitlist on an ongoing basis. The best advice I got from an alumni of the program is to keep in touch with Angela and Terry Gardiner over at the Faculty. Tell them about your application and advocate for yourself so that they know you, and know you're interested. There will be movement on the list as people accept, defer or decline their offers, it will help if you're persistent and in constant communication.

Hey everyone!

This is my first time using this forum and I was wondering has anyone applied to the Jan 2021 start for the advanced standing online program at Laurier or have any feedback about Laurier? :)

8 minutes ago, skittles15 said:

Hey everyone!

This is my first time using this forum and I was wondering has anyone applied to the Jan 2021 start for the advanced standing online program at Laurier or have any feedback about Laurier? :)

I applied for September 2020 and got rejected. They only take 25 people so very competitive From the email I got sounds like they tend to take people with over 7 years of work/volunteering experience. 

Just now, BellaMSW said:

I applied for September 2020 and got rejected. They only take 25 people so very competitive From the email I got sounds like they tend to take people with over 7 years of work/volunteering experience. 

Sorry to hear that! Did you by chance talk to more than one admissions person? I spoke to an advisor in 2019 and she basically said if you dont have 12+ years of experience don't bother applying, then I spoke to someone this year, a male, and he said only having 2 years of experience is totally fine. It has been stressful because I have been reading/hearing from many others who have been rejected and said it was competitive. May I ask how many years you applied with and if you felt your application was strong? I applied with 2 years of work experience, but a BA in psych (low average), a graduate certificate in mental health disorders (84% average) and a HBSW (83% average). 

1 hour ago, skittles15 said:

Sorry to hear that! Did you by chance talk to more than one admissions person? I spoke to an advisor in 2019 and she basically said if you dont have 12+ years of experience don't bother applying, then I spoke to someone this year, a male, and he said only having 2 years of experience is totally fine. It has been stressful because I have been reading/hearing from many others who have been rejected and said it was competitive. May I ask how many years you applied with and if you felt your application was strong? I applied with 2 years of work experience, but a BA in psych (low average), a graduate certificate in mental health disorders (84% average) and a HBSW (83% average). 

I applied for May 2020 and was waitlisted, applied again for Jan 2021. I feel like admissions are so arbitrary that it's hard to say, really, what ultimately determines who gets in. It is very competitive. As mentioned above, they took 25 out of about 250. 

One of my references (who is a fabulous professor) did mention that it's not always the experience or the number of hours, but a lot of it has to do with your essay and ability to speak to why you are a good fit for graduate studies. I have seen people in this thread with 10 years exp. get rejected, unfortunately, and others with 1-2 years post BSW accepted. It's nerve wracking for sure because it's not the most predictable! 

11 hours ago, HopefulandCurious said:

I applied for May 2020 and was waitlisted, applied again for Jan 2021. I feel like admissions are so arbitrary that it's hard to say, really, what ultimately determines who gets in. It is very competitive. As mentioned above, they took 25 out of about 250. 

One of my references (who is a fabulous professor) did mention that it's not always the experience or the number of hours, but a lot of it has to do with your essay and ability to speak to why you are a good fit for graduate studies. I have seen people in this thread with 10 years exp. get rejected, unfortunately, and others with 1-2 years post BSW accepted. It's nerve wracking for sure because it's not the most predictable! 

Hi :)  its nice to meet someone else who has applied for the same entry period! I completely agree with you that it is so arbitrary because even when I spoke to two different enrolment advisors they told me very different things. Do you have any tips or advice now that you have applied more than once? / Did you apply anywhere else? I am so new to the graduate application game but have also been considering Dal's program.

I'm looking for some advice.. I'm looking to reapply in this September as I am still on the wait list for UfT.  I'm wondering what other programs are out there, that are more so looking at the practical side of Social Work rather than the research. I know UfT is like that, and I would like to go into CAS after I am done school so I am wondering what other Universities have MSW programs (that do not require a BSW as I have my bachelors in Psychology) that are more on the practical aspect?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, skittles15 said:

Hi :)  its nice to meet someone else who has applied for the same entry period! I completely agree with you that it is so arbitrary because even when I spoke to two different enrolment advisors they told me very different things. Do you have any tips or advice now that you have applied more than once? / Did you apply anywhere else? I am so new to the graduate application game but have also been considering Dal's program.

Hi! :). We will be waiting together! 

I have not applied anywhere else, but if this doesn't pan out I think I will apply to Waterloo and Dal, just to see what happens. My best piece of advice is to tailor your application to the school you're applying to (look at the learning outcomes and mission statements) because your fit for what that school teaches is an important factor in the decision-making. You can be extremely qualified but if you apply to a macro, social justice based program and say you want clinical micro practice, they're not going to want you. 

I think it is also a good idea to keep your statement clear and concise. What I mean by that is have a good understanding of what you actually want to do in the field. "I want to help people" is not as good as "I want to do x job because of y and z". Concise also means don't try to convince them you have experience by cramming all kinds of details in there, but try to highlight experience and skills that best accentuate your application to that school. The other point is having a good mix of personal and professional experience (not too many personal details, but also not strictly a repeat of what they see in your resume). I hope that makes sense! 

Best of luck to you! 

On 5/17/2020 at 11:23 AM, Quarantinelife said:

FIFSW is accepting people off the waitlist on an ongoing basis. The best advice I got from an alumni of the program is to keep in touch with Angela and Terry Gardiner over at the Faculty. Tell them about your application and advocate for yourself so that they know you, and know you're interested. There will be movement on the list as people accept, defer or decline their offers, it will help if you're persistent and in constant communication.

I would've thought they hated people badgering them constantly! I was thinking about sending an email asking If angela would be willing to talk to me over the phone about where I can improve on my application (i'm on the waitlist right now) What advice would you give regarding advocating for yourself? I don't want to be constantly emailing and bothering them but dang i want to get in haha.

3 hours ago, AlexBeans said:

I'm looking for some advice.. I'm looking to reapply in this September as I am still on the wait list for UfT.  I'm wondering what other programs are out there, that are more so looking at the practical side of Social Work rather than the research. I know UfT is like that, and I would like to go into CAS after I am done school so I am wondering what other Universities have MSW programs (that do not require a BSW as I have my bachelors in Psychology) that are more on the practical aspect?

Thanks!

I know Western and Carleton offer quite a few placement opportunities at CAS. Also Western is entirely practical whereas Carleton offers a research stream. However, Western is extremely competitive with only 20 spots for their non-bsw program. 

5 hours ago, AlexBeans said:

Thanks!

york u also has a few placement opportunities with CAS but their program is more critical, rather than clinical

8 hours ago, Socialwork5 said:

Not that I know of. I am on the waitlist as well. I’m hoping to see some movement after the long weekend! *fingers crossed*

Yes. Fingers crossed for some more offers this week!