Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

On 1/30/2020 at 7:52 AM, VanSW said:

Hey,

I think you're on the right track by improving your resume with volunteer experience. Keep in mind, most schools look at your last year or two of university, so your earlier grades may not be as relevant. Your statement of intent and your references also play a huge role.

I was in a similar position to you, and chose the route of doing a one year BSW after my BA. I did this because there is less competition for MSW programs for students who have a BSW, and also because I wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting myself into in terms of the career. If I could go back, I think I would do it all the same way. (I am in the Lakehead HBSW fyi - I would not do a 2 year BSW program.) It was more expensive this way, and it's been tough, but I think it will be worth it.

Hi! I'm new here and was browsing this thread - can you please tell me about the Lakehead HBSW? I'm thinking of applying to it. Is it competitive to get into? Thanks!

On 2/16/2020 at 9:38 PM, Kristine said:

Hi all,
I am considering applying to the MSW for working professionals (non-BSW) at U of Windsor (peel location). My grades are 2 points shy of what they post as a minimum requirement. Do you know if they may consider candidates who do not meet this requirement, but can write a letter explaining why grades are low?
I also applied to the HBSW program at Lakehead, and the 3 year part time BSW at Ryerson.
Good luck!

Hi! I'm wondering if you got into the HBSW Program at Lakehead, and whether you like it? If so, was it competitive to get into? 

12 hours ago, marymary1 said:

Hi! I'm wondering if you got into the HBSW Program at Lakehead, and whether you like it? If so, was it competitive to get into? 

Hi! No, I didn't get in. I only got on the waitlist, and the program starts in 2 weeks so I guess that's that. I am trying to find out how competitive it is myself:)

9 minutes ago, Kristine said:

Hi! No, I didn't get in. I only got on the waitlist, and the program starts in 2 weeks so I guess that's that. I am trying to find out how competitive it is myself:)

Ah sorry to hear. Did they give you any feedback, if you don't mind me asking? Did they not give you an update after you were waitlisted? ?

3 hours ago, marymary1 said:

Ah sorry to hear. Did they give you any feedback, if you don't mind me asking? Did they not give you an update after you were waitlisted? ?

no they didn't. 

On 6/11/2020 at 9:26 PM, SCCPHopeful said:

Any updates for U of T 2-year MSW? Anyone get offers from waitlist? Anyone choosing to defer because there will be no in-person instruction?

Hi everyone! I got an email from Angela at 4:45PM today offering me a spot off of the waitlist for the 2 year MSW at UofT, which I accepted :)  So there's movement! I know how stressful and nerve-racking waiting is, but stay hopeful. Best of luck to anyone else waiting to hear!

28 minutes ago, socialwork2020masters said:

Hi everyone! I got an email from Angela at 4:45PM today offering me a spot off of the waitlist for the 2 year MSW at UofT, which I accepted :)  So there's movement! I know how stressful and nerve-racking waiting is, but stay hopeful. Best of luck to anyone else waiting to hear!

Congratulations! I’m currently still on the waitlist so this gave me a little bit of peace. Can I ask when you graduated? What your gpa was the last 2 years and your experience? I’m trying to see pattern of what they base admissions on. If anything, I hope it helps me strengthen my application next year. 
Once again, congratulations! Good news is especially needed during this uncertain time :).

42 minutes ago, 1996msw2020 said:

Congratulations! I’m currently still on the waitlist so this gave me a little bit of peace. Can I ask when you graduated? What your gpa was the last 2 years and your experience? I’m trying to see pattern of what they base admissions on. If anything, I hope it helps me strengthen my application next year. 
Once again, congratulations! Good news is especially needed during this uncertain time :).

Thanks! I graduated this year with a BA in forensic psychology from Ontario Tech University (UOIT). My cumulative GPA was 3.87, but the last 2 years averaged out to about 4.16. I have a good amount of research experience, I did my honours thesis and volunteered at a lab at my school as a research assistant. I got an A- in my Research Methods course, I believe it helps to boost that mark if your original one was somewhat low. In terms of social work experience it was all volunteer based, I've been volunteering with Crisis Text Line (Kids Help Phone) for over a year, as well as with Circles of Support and Accountability (working with previous sexual offenders transitioning into the community) since November, which I put on my application but I was still training with them at that point. Otherwise I have experience as a summer student clerk with Durham Region Family Services, and as a summer project assistant for Ontario Tech's Forensic Psych department which was basically admin work; I'm not sure if these last two helped at all. 

I've been trying to figure out admissions patterns too but I'm not having much luck figuring it out. I did send Angela an email a few weeks ago to confirm that they received my updated transcript with my final marks and reinforce that I'm still volunteering, but she didn't end up answering that. In terms of strengthening your application, Crisis Text Line gives a lot of experience, and it's great since it's online on your schedule, but I know that it's sometimes difficult to sign up for training. 

I'm happy that this update is giving you some hope! Sending you positive thoughts while you wait!

I'll be at UofT for the advanced standing in September and I can tell you that there are tons of students deferring their acceptance for next fall due to the pandemic/ unable to move to the city/ remote placements. It's going to be a weird year to study so a lot of students are opting out for now. They have until August to decide to defer. So definitely stay hopeful and expect some movement on that waitlist. I can imagine more students will defer when placement selection opens up mid-july. Goodluck!

Does anyone know when year 1 practicum opportunities typically get listed on the website? I can't help but notice that there is only one listed so far...https://socialwork.utoronto.ca/practicum/for-students/current-practicum-opportunities/practicum-i-opportunities/

Edited by SCCPHopeful

17 hours ago, SWTOBE said:

I received a rejection from York today but got accepted to U of T off the waitlist about three hours ago!!! I am so thrilled to start in Septemember!! There's definitely movement going on for the UT so best of luck to everyone who are still waiting! 

May I ask what experience you applied with? 

Hi All - congrats to everyone who is preparing for a Fall start!! I am currently on the waitlist for Laurier's MSW Regular/ Online program...just wondering if anyone had heard of waitlist movement at Laurier? It is taking all my willpower to not call the office and beg them for a status update on my application (which I'm sure would not help the situation...!) ?

To anyone on the waitlist for UofT, did you ask Angela what the progress of your application was? I want to know where I stand (even though I've already accepted Humber College's offer for the addictions and mental health program) and see if maybe there is a chance I get in this year since I was waitlisted last year and then ultimately rejected in mid September.

2 hours ago, sofiahats said:

To anyone on the waitlist for UofT, did you ask Angela what the progress of your application was? I want to know where I stand (even though I've already accepted Humber College's offer for the addictions and mental health program) and see if maybe there is a chance I get in this year since I was waitlisted last year and then ultimately rejected in mid September.

There is no way of knowing. In the decision document, it says that the wait-list is not ranked and they cannot disclose anything about our application. Angela will contact us if there is a change in our application status.. it’s just a waiting game at this point. Goodluck! 

Hi everyone, first-time poster here! I know it's late in the year to be posting, as most of the application decisions are out. I hope someone sees this though. 

I'm planning to apply to 2-year MSW programs in Fall 2021. That will be my last academic year of my B.Sc in biology and minor in women's studies. In the beginning of my degree I was in a bad mental health state, which led me to have a really bad gpa (like academic probation) and thus my cumulative gpa is *very low*. However, recently I've been keeping up A/A+ in my courses, so I'm expecting my final year of full-time studies to be in the A range too. I also have 3+ years of experience working at a crisis line and a program for children with autism. I have volunteer research experience too. I have a few questions centred around the UofT and Laurier 2-year MSW programs:

1. Do those programs care about cGPA at all? How do they consider repeated courses?

2. I'm seeing a lot of 2-year MSW applicants get in on their 3rd or 4th try or after several years of work experience. How common is it to get in straight after undergrad (particularly if you have good part-time work experience during your studies)?

3. I honestly have a lot of anxieties around getting into this program. It's the only thing I envision myself doing. I don't have a Plan B and I doubt I can find a job with my degree if I don't get in on my first try. It's also not practical for me to do a BSW or SSW. Lastly, I feel like I really screwed myself by doing so badly in my first few years. I'd love it if anyone familiar with the applications is willing to chat with me. I'm willing to compensate for the emotional labour of course. Alternatively, does anyone have suggestions on who I can talk to about applications?  

Hopefully this is the appropriate place to post this. Thanks in advance!

Edited by samsam99

2 minutes ago, samsam99 said:

Hi everyone, first-time poster here! I know it's late in the year to be posting, as most of the application decisions are out. I hope someone sees this though. 

I'm planning to apply to 2-year MSW programs in Fall 2021. That will be my last academic year of my B.Sc in biology and minor in women's studies. In the beginning of my degree I was in a bad mental health state, which led me to have a really bad gpa (like academic probation) and thus my cumulative gpa is *very low*. However, recently I've been keeping up A/A+ in my courses, so I'm expecting my final year of full-time studies to be in the A range too. I also have 3+ years of experience working at a crisis line and a program for children with autism. I have volunteer research experience too. I have a few questions centred around the UofT and Laurier 2-year MSW programs:

1. Do those programs care about cGPA at all? How do they consider repeated courses?

2. I'm seeing a lot of 2-year MSW applicants get in on their 3rd or 4th try or after several years of work experience. How common is it to get in straight after undergrad (particularly if you have good part-time work experience during your studies)?

3. I honestly have a lot of anxieties around getting into this program. It's the only thing I envision myself doing. I don't have a Plan B and I doubt I can find a job with my degree if I don't get in on my first try. It's also not practical for me to do a BSW or SSW. Lastly, I feel like I really screwed myself by doing so badly in my first few years. I'd love it if anyone familiar with the applications is willing to chat with me. I'm willing to compensate for the emotional labour of course. Alternatively, does anyone have suggestions on who I can talk to about applications?  

Hello :)

1) I specifically applied to the 2 year MSW program at UofT, Laurier, and UBCO, and was surprised I got into all. The programs do care about gpa, BUT they care about other stuff as well. I had a few W (withdrawn) standings on my transcript because I was also dealing with a lot of things mentally at the beginning of my degree. But most programs that I have researched mostly just calculate gpa based on your last year or your last two years. I had some low grades as well due to my mental health before my last year of studies, but I really tried to go above and beyond for my final year. The way I saw it - maybe they would notice how I improved myself over the years and finished strong. I completed my last year with grades mostly in the A range. So if you keep up within the A range, I think you will be fine. And having experience in crisis work (as you do) is great too. 

2) I graduated with my undergrad in 2019, and applied for the September 2020 start for my MSW, so I kind of had a year off in-between. I wanted to apply right away, but I was recovering from a physical illness. So i'm not too sure about how common it is to get in straight after undergrad, but I do know lots of people who have! 

3) Your anxiety and feelings are valid. It can definitely be very scary to mentally navigate all of this. I think if you keep your application strong (statement and references), have solid experience in the field (work/volunteer), and finish off strong in your courses, you will get in. Rooting for you! 

?

25 minutes ago, K_J said:

Hello :)

1) I specifically applied to the 2 year MSW program at UofT, Laurier, and UBCO, and was surprised I got into all. The programs do care about gpa, BUT they care about other stuff as well. I had a few W (withdrawn) standings on my transcript because I was also dealing with a lot of things mentally at the beginning of my degree. But most programs that I have researched mostly just calculate gpa based on your last year or your last two years. I had some low grades as well due to my mental health before my last year of studies, but I really tried to go above and beyond for my final year. The way I saw it - maybe they would notice how I improved myself over the years and finished strong. I completed my last year with grades mostly in the A range. So if you keep up within the A range, I think you will be fine. And having experience in crisis work (as you do) is great too. 

2) I graduated with my undergrad in 2019, and applied for the September 2020 start for my MSW, so I kind of had a year off in-between. I wanted to apply right away, but I was recovering from a physical illness. So i'm not too sure about how common it is to get in straight after undergrad, but I do know lots of people who have! 

3) Your anxiety and feelings are valid. It can definitely be very scary to mentally navigate all of this. I think if you keep your application strong (statement and references), have solid experience in the field (work/volunteer), and finish off strong in your courses, you will get in. Rooting for you! 

?

Thank you so much - I really appreciate and needed the encouragement and insights. If you don't mind me asking, is there anything you think made your applications stand out in particular? From reading the threads, I can see that not many get into all the schools they apply for, so that's amazing! 

Edit: just remembered my other question - do you think talking about lived experienced in the application is a good idea?

Edited by samsam99

16 hours ago, samsam99 said:

hi there, first i just want to say, good for you for getting through things and being able to turn your gpa around, that's awesome! your gpa and experience sound great. in regards to your questions:

1. programs tend to focus on your final year or last 2 years, as opposed to your overall gpa.

2. in terms of how common, i don't think its super common or uncommon but is something that would change each year with each round of applicants but to my knowledge, schools don't really care if you've just graduated or have been out for a few years, unless stated otherwise. that being said, i do know people who have gotten in right out of school and people who got in after being out of school for a bit. i personally got in after being out for a year but also i didn't have much experience straight out of undergrad.

3. your anxiety is totally fair and valid and i (along with probably every other applicant) can completely relate. try not to be too hard on yourself about your first few years of uni, it sounds like you put in a lot of hard work to get really good experience and to turn your grades around and schools will notice this! i would be happy to chat further about applications if you have any other questions. in terms of who you can talk to, check the contact section under the schools youre interested in, there should be a program director or someone who can answer any school-specific questions you may have.

4. i did add a little bit about my own lived experience in my statements but i didn't go into details, i framed it to show the schools how my lived experience led me to pursue an msw. i don't think it hurts to add a bit about your lived experience. 

best of luck!! you're going to do great :)

On 6/17/2020 at 2:50 PM, isabele_charlie said:

Hi All - congrats to everyone who is preparing for a Fall start!! I am currently on the waitlist for Laurier's MSW Regular/ Online program...just wondering if anyone had heard of waitlist movement at Laurier? It is taking all my willpower to not call the office and beg them for a status update on my application (which I'm sure would not help the situation...!) ?

Ahhh...finally found another person in the same boat as me! I'm looking to hear if anyone has heard of the wait list moving as well! I really wish I at least could know where I'm standing on the wait list, that way I can either keep hoping or just start an application for the next round...

On 6/23/2020 at 10:12 PM, directcareworker said:

Ahhh...finally found another person in the same boat as me! I'm looking to hear if anyone has heard of the wait list moving as well! I really wish I at least could know where I'm standing on the wait list, that way I can either keep hoping or just start an application for the next round...

Would you be able to share your GPA/experience you have? 

9 hours ago, IrisMSW-ITR said:

Can anyone tell me when U of T's application process opens for September 2021 entry to the MSW programs? I keep on checking their website but I can't find a concrete date. Thanks! 

My guess is that they won't post that information until late July or during August. I don't remember when it was posted this time.