Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

3 hours ago, Vivi2020 said:

Whoohoo. I was offered admission off waterloos waitlist!!

Congrats!!! :) I got an email too! Did you see a change on Quest?

Hi guys, wanted to get your opinion btw UofT 1 year Advanced vs. Waterloo 1 year program? Both Health and Mental Health Focus.

Which one would you choose and why?

18 hours ago, MSWWP111 said:

First time posting. Really appreciated reading through all of your posts. 

I'm feeling quite nervous and silly now for applying to MSW so late in the year— but the deadline is May 1st. 

Has anyone heard back from UWIN 16 month Advance Standing (w BSW)? I just sent in my application, it seems as though I should expect a wait list? Or has one been started? 

Thank you for your time!

I submitted my application on February 24 and received an offer of admission March 31! I declined my offer as I also got accepted to Kings program!

1 hour ago, MSWSEPT2020 said:

I submitted my application on February 24 and received an offer of admission March 31! I declined my offer as I also got accepted to Kings program!

Congratulations on your acceptance to the Kings program! Thank you for giving me that timeframe, that gives me some piece of mind of when I can expect to hear back. 

Best of luck!

Hello! I would love to speak to someone to has been accepted to the Dalhousie online post-degree BSW program. :) They require a B- for admission, and I have that but wondering how competitive the program is to get into. I have over 4 years experience working with newcomer children and youth directly. Thanks to anyone who can comment! 

On 4/27/2020 at 8:29 PM, mswbell said:

I got accepted into York's 1 Year BSW program on the 24th (just got the email today), but I declined as I got into a MSW program. So hopefully others will hear shortly about their programs at York. 

20 hours ago, asingh25 said:

i got into yorks 2 year msw (edit: full-time, non-bsw) :) no email received, main page on myfile looked the same but when i clicked application status, my status was changed to "admitted" under decision! yay

First off @asingh25 congrats!!! York is my top choice so i'm hoping to hear back :( definitely have very little hope but your post gives me *some* hope! Do you mind if i ask what your experience and background is? It'll help me greatly when i reapply next year. 

Also, i would love to talk to any folks who applied to yorks 1 year BSW program (didn't realize they had one!) as i might consider applying for that next year as well.

Thank you!! 

Hi friends, anyone know anything about wait lists?  I'm wondering if i should accept an offer or wait to see if any wait lists move.  Does anyone have any experience with either Laurier or Windsor 2 year Non BSW wait lists and do they traditionally move?

1 hour ago, bonfire said:

Hi friends, anyone know anything about wait lists?  I'm wondering if i should accept an offer or wait to see if any wait lists move.  Does anyone have any experience with either Laurier or Windsor 2 year Non BSW wait lists and do they traditionally move?

I am also wondering about this! I am on the Laurier 2 year regular stream waitlist 

18 hours ago, MSW111 said:

Congratulations on your acceptance to the Kings program! Thank you for giving me that timeframe, that gives me some piece of mind of when I can expect to hear back. 

Best of luck!

No problem! Best of luck to you as well :)

4 hours ago, julygal20 said:

First off @asingh25 congrats!!! York is my top choice so i'm hoping to hear back :( definitely have very little hope but your post gives me *some* hope! Do you mind if i ask what your experience and background is? It'll help me greatly when i reapply next year. 

Also, i would love to talk to any folks who applied to yorks 1 year BSW program (didn't realize they had one!) as i might consider applying for that next year as well.

Thank you!! 

thank you so much, i hope you hear back from them! if it helps, the deadline they gave me to accept/decline is may 8 so i assume after may 8 they'll be sending more acceptances :)

so i did my hons ba psych at york and graduated june 2019, my gpa for the last two years sat around a 78-79%. in terms of experience, at the time the app for york was due, i had 7 months of experience working directly with children with autism & their families, a little over 1 year of experience fundraising for low-income students at york, 7 months as a volunteer in-school mentor for big brothers big sisters, almost 2 years of volunteer experience conducting intake interviews with new clients & doing other administrative tasks at a mental health clinic, and a year and a half of research experience but i didnt really discuss that at all in my application because i didnt think it was relevant. in my statement, i also touched on my personal experience working with a social worker. i hope this helps, do let me know if you have any other questions!

On 4/27/2020 at 11:21 AM, julygal20 said:

1687721060_yorkmsw.thumb.png.7950dfa9c681fec9bc642cf7d420d250.png

PS. Mailed York's admission. This was their response.

I'm personally not expecting to get in because even though I have a strong academic background in social justice studies and sociology and a Masters in public health, much of my experience is in research. i do have experience at the Crisis centre but  not much front-line work apart from that :( 

Dont give up hope! I am similar to you in that I mostly have a research background with minimal front-line experience and I got accepted to york. It sounds like you are extremely qualified! Best of luck 

3 hours ago, Vivi2020 said:

Have you heard back since the initial email? I responded but haven't received confirmation and nothing has changed on quest

No, I haven't heard back since the initial email. She has been really slow replying to emails.

21 hours ago, asingh25 said:

thank you so much, i hope you hear back from them! if it helps, the deadline they gave me to accept/decline is may 8 so i assume after may 8 they'll be sending more acceptances :)

so i did my hons ba psych at york and graduated june 2019, my gpa for the last two years sat around a 78-79%. in terms of experience, at the time the app for york was due, i had 7 months of experience working directly with children with autism & their families, a little over 1 year of experience fundraising for low-income students at york, 7 months as a volunteer in-school mentor for big brothers big sisters, almost 2 years of volunteer experience conducting intake interviews with new clients & doing other administrative tasks at a mental health clinic, and a year and a half of research experience but i didnt really discuss that at all in my application because i didnt think it was relevant. in my statement, i also touched on my personal experience working with a social worker. i hope this helps, do let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for your response! This was helpful. Unfortunately i couldn't get a reference from the distress centre because i had to move to Ottawa 3 months short of fulfilling their 1-year commitment. I am moving back in June though and will be started up my volunteerism with them again. I'm also going to look into other community volunteer opportunities. Fingers crossed for next year if i don't end up getting in this year. 

20 hours ago, attempting said:

Dont give up hope! I am similar to you in that I mostly have a research background with minimal front-line experience and I got accepted to york. It sounds like you are extremely qualified! Best of luck 

Thank you! 

I'm still hopeful but I'm also realistic it might have to be something for next year. fingers crossed! 

2 hours ago, julygal20 said:

Thanks for your response! This was helpful. Unfortunately i couldn't get a reference from the distress centre because i had to move to Ottawa 3 months short of fulfilling their 1-year commitment. I am moving back in June though and will be started up my volunteerism with them again. I'm also going to look into other community volunteer opportunities. Fingers crossed for next year if i don't end up getting in this year. 

i know some people who are doing the kids help phone text line, you can do it from home and ive heard good things about it! best of luck :)

40 minutes ago, MSW Hopefully said:

Me checking Loris every 5 minutes now that it's May. 

may-300x293.jpg.f80e66296c64916beb02f53f752e57f1.jpg

Haha, me too! Fingers crossed! I don't think I have enough recent experience, but I'm still hopeful. I hope we start to see some movement soon on the online MSW program!

On 4/28/2020 at 1:24 AM, Roo15 said:

Hey, congrats!! Did you apply to the Windsor or Peel campus? I got into the one for Working Professionals in Peel. 

Hey!! I applied to the Peel program! Still waiting to hear back thought. When did you apply and how quickly did you hear back??

17 minutes ago, Christinavas86 said:

Hey!! I applied to the Peel program! Still waiting to hear back thought. When did you apply and how quickly did you hear back??

Did you apply for the 1 or the 2 year?? Sorry to interject!