Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

On 4/14/2020 at 6:24 PM, MSWMissy said:

Hey everyone! I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during these crazy times. I am hoping to get some insight from anyone who has done volunteering with Kids Help Phone or a similar organization before. I have applied and been accepted to be part of the text volunteer program with Kids Help Phone. I heard that I was accepted last Monday letting me know to register for training. When I looked, all the training opportunities are full. I emailed last Monday, then followed up again last Friday and have yet to hear back, and the training cohorts are still showing up as full. Has anyone else had a similar experience, and if so what do you recommend? I am increasingly frustrated as I have heard from multiple sources they are in need of volunteers and I've really been looking forward to doing something meaningful with my spare time. Alternatively, does anyone have any recommendations for similar organizations that offer online volunteer opportunities? 

Hey! This is what they said to me 

Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out and apologies for the delay in our response. We are experiencing a higher volume of applications at this time, and our team is working to process them as quickly as possible.

I can confirm that we have received your application along with your references, and the application is in queue to be reviewed. Our Admissions team will be reviewing it as soon as they can.

Thanks in advance for your patience and interest in becoming a part of the Kids Help Phone team,

-Kids Help Phone Admissions

Did you hear back?

On 4/7/2020 at 10:55 AM, MADB said:

If anyone hears back from Laurier 2 year (regular stream) post on here please! 

Hey! I heard back today that I have been selected for the regular stream waitlist. They ask you to accept or decline your position on the waitlist and said there are 60 waitlist positions. Hope this helps! Best of luck :)

3 hours ago, SunnyD said:

I still haven’t heard back, is anyone else still waiting on a reply?

I'm still waiting on a reply for York's 2-year MSW! I have heard that they can be pretty...ahem..."informal" with letting applicants know about their decisions beyond initial acceptances (I have heard in the previous year of folks whose status didn't change from "No Decision Yet" for a really long time.)

57 minutes ago, mswsteph said:

I'm still waiting on a reply for York's 2-year MSW! I have heard that they can be pretty...ahem..."informal" with letting applicants know about their decisions beyond initial acceptances (I have heard in the previous year of folks whose status didn't change from "No Decision Yet" for a really long time.)

yeah :( i saw posts about applicant's status not changing until july

1 hour ago, mswsteph said:

I know someone who was “declined” on my file, but then got accepted later in the year because York made a mistake and they were actually waitlisted!

On 4/6/2020 at 8:23 PM, MSW2020UofT said:

I'm delurking to ask for some advice: I was admitted to the 2 year MSW program at U of T and I am thrilled! However, I am a bit worried about the effect of the covid-19 situation on Fall 2020 (and maybe future terms) classes and practicums. From what I have read, social distancing might be necessary (intermittently) for 1-2 years and I don't particularly want to do online classes or remote practicums in my first year of grad school. In addition, I have applied for the gerontology focus, so I imagine that practicums working with older persons might be particularly affected in the next 1-2 years. I feel fortunate to have a full time job right now so I am thinking of deferring my admission for a year. Is anyone else thinking of deferring for these reasons or am I overreacting? (And sorry, I know this message sounds incredibly privileged as many people are out of work and stressed for their and their loved ones' health - I hope everyone stays well).

PS. Congratulations to those who were accepted this year and good luck to those still waiting to hear back. For those of you who weren't accepted, please try again next year (this was my second time applying).

Hey. I'm at UofT right now in the 2 year program - just finished first year. This is a fair concern. All of us in the program are concerned as well. They are currently planning for online classes and trying to figure out logistics around practicums. This past month and a half our practicums have been remote and all the students completing summer practicums will have remote practicums as well. Not sure when our next update will be, but it sounds like making everything remote for the fall is a last resort and they are just in the prep stages (although its looking more and more everyday like it will be our reality). As far as I know winter semester will not need to be remote. Hope this helps! All of us students are going through it and the faculty are doing their best. Other than COVID-19 UofT is awesome (in my very biased opinion lol). Congrats and good luck!!! :)

5 hours ago, SocialWorkMSW said:

Hey! This is what they said to me 

Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out and apologies for the delay in our response. We are experiencing a higher volume of applications at this time, and our team is working to process them as quickly as possible.

I can confirm that we have received your application along with your references, and the application is in queue to be reviewed. Our Admissions team will be reviewing it as soon as they can.

Thanks in advance for your patience and interest in becoming a part of the Kids Help Phone team,

-Kids Help Phone Admissions

Did you hear back?

Thanks so much for your response! I am glad it is not just me. They finally got back to me today and let me know that all training cohorts for April are full. They will open new training in the coming weeks for May. It sounds like they are incredibly busy and there are a ton of applicants, so it may be a pretty slow process. Hopefully we both hear something again soon :)

On 4/15/2020 at 6:51 PM, SocialWorkMSW said:

Hey! I applied also about 2 weeks ago?? How long did it take for them to give you the opportunity? I am really interested as well in volunteering my time with them. Have you heard back yet? Mine still says under review. I emailed them yesterday and have no heard back??

Once my references were in, I heard I was accepted within 2 days, but then when I tried to register everything was full. I emailed a couple of times and it was about 10 days before I received a response. Quite frustrating! I think they must be holding off on acceptances as there are currently no training spots open, but there will be some available for May soon I've been told. 

Hi all,

I am delighted to share that I have been accepted into the 2-year MSW at Wilfrid Laurier for this upcoming Fall 2020 Semester (in person). I got my rejection letter from UoT a week ago for the 2-year MSW. I have also been offered both spots to the 1-year honours BSW at LakeHead University (Thunder Bay and Orillia). I will be declining both spots to the 1-year honours BSW at LakeHead and proceed with the 2-year MSW at Wilfrid Laurier. So incredibly excited and also humbled by how people supported each other in this forum, I was not an active participant as this was my first time applying and wanted to learn from afar. My story is a bit different ... please feel free to read if it helps you in anyway: I graduated with a BA (Majored in Psychology, Minored in Counselling and Human Development) and a Certificate in Liberal Arts with less than a stellar GPA. I was fortunate to find work in the field at an established non-profit organization in the Downtown Eastside and learned the ropes of this humbling work we get to do. I worked hard to supplement my CV while learning and growing and remaining opening to the opportunities in front of me: I completed my Substance Use Certificate as well as an Addiction Medicine Diploma through the BCCSU and their collaboration with the Faculty of Medicine at UBC (I am sure it didn't hurt to use their name in my CV) and continued to persevere. I made a lot of sacrifices... mentally, emotionally and physically but it all paid off with this acceptance which I truly did not expect. They usually say their first round of application is :"practice". It is why I am overjoyed because I felt like an underdog. I also decided to enroll in a Graduate Certificate in Child Sexual Abuse and Complex Trauma Interventions all the while working and building my seniority. I never lost focus and vision but I enjoyed the process and the journey. So grateful for this opportunity. Please feel free to ask, happy to help in any way I can!

5 hours ago, MSWCandidate2020 said:

Hi all,

I am delighted to share that I have been accepted into the 2-year MSW at Wilfrid Laurier for this upcoming Fall 2020 Semester (in person). I got my rejection letter from UoT a week ago for the 2-year MSW. I have also been offered both spots to the 1-year honours BSW at LakeHead University (Thunder Bay and Orillia). I will be declining both spots to the 1-year honours BSW at LakeHead and proceed with the 2-year MSW at Wilfrid Laurier. So incredibly excited and also humbled by how people supported each other in this forum, I was not an active participant as this was my first time applying and wanted to learn from afar. My story is a bit different ... please feel free to read if it helps you in anyway: I graduated with a BA (Majored in Psychology, Minored in Counselling and Human Development) and a Certificate in Liberal Arts with less than a stellar GPA. I was fortunate to find work in the field at an established non-profit organization in the Downtown Eastside and learned the ropes of this humbling work we get to do. I worked hard to supplement my CV while learning and growing and remaining opening to the opportunities in front of me: I completed my Substance Use Certificate as well as an Addiction Medicine Diploma through the BCCSU and their collaboration with the Faculty of Medicine at UBC (I am sure it didn't hurt to use their name in my CV) and continued to persevere. I made a lot of sacrifices... mentally, emotionally and physically but it all paid off with this acceptance which I truly did not expect. They usually say their first round of application is :"practice". It is why I am overjoyed because I felt like an underdog. I also decided to enroll in a Graduate Certificate in Child Sexual Abuse and Complex Trauma Interventions all the while working and building my seniority. I never lost focus and vision but I enjoyed the process and the journey. So grateful for this opportunity. Please feel free to ask, happy to help in any way I can!

Hey! Where did you take your child sexual abuse and complex trauma interventions?

and congratulations for being accepted :)

11 hours ago, katm149 said:

I know someone who was “declined” on my file, but then got accepted later in the year because York made a mistake and they were actually waitlisted!

YorkU really is a strange place. My myfile status is still under consideration, but I've been receiving emails that are clearly intended to be sent to a list of grad students about career/writing centres and stuff. York really sets out to be the most unique among the Ontario schools lol.

Edited by Rassky

12 hours ago, MSWMissy said:

Once my references were in, I heard I was accepted within 2 days, but then when I tried to register everything was full. I emailed a couple of times and it was about 10 days before I received a response. Quite frustrating! I think they must be holding off on acceptances as there are currently no training spots open, but there will be some available for May soon I've been told. 

Thank you so much! I hope to hear soon! Let me know when they open it up:)

22 hours ago, JK1009469 said:

Hi everyone, I just received a waitlist email for the HBSW at Lakeheads Thunderbay campus. Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear!

Hi there, just wondering, did you apply for the Thunder Bay campus or did you apply to Orillia and they waitlisted you there? I've been hearing some situations where people apply to the Orillia campus and get sent to Thunder Bay, so was wondering if that's a real possibility

Just now, Katims said:

Hi there, just wondering, did you apply for the Thunder Bay campus or did you apply to Orillia and they waitlisted you there? I've been hearing some situations where people apply to the Orillia campus and get sent to Thunder Bay, so was wondering if that's a real possibility

Hey, I applied for the thunderbay campus. As far as a I know you had to apply to the campus you wanted to be considered for and they would not offer you a spot where you did not apply. I did see someone post that the situation happened to them but it was an administration error. Hope this helps!

26 minutes ago, JK1009469 said:

Hey, I applied for the thunderbay campus. As far as a I know you had to apply to the campus you wanted to be considered for and they would not offer you a spot where you did not apply. I did see someone post that the situation happened to them but it was an administration error. Hope this helps!

Thank you! Best of luck! 

Hello! I have been accepted to the 2-year MSW at both Western and Laurier. I was wondering if anyone could offer any insight into the difference between these two programs, or offer your experiences as a student in either of these programs! Thanks!

On 4/14/2020 at 3:08 PM, bonfire said:

has any one heard from the 1 year Lakehead HBSW?  I was hoping to have heard from them and am even wondering if they will run the course due to COVID?  Any one else apply there?

I heard yesterday via email that I got in. I will be turning down my offer though because I got into an MSW program. We have until May 8 to decide. 

43 minutes ago, 1996msw2020 said:

congratulations!! What offer are you accepting? Best of luck!

Long story, but a bunch of wild things happened between me submitting my application back in December and today - and I ended up discovering that an MSW wouldn't be the best fit for me. So in a pretty unexpected twist I'll be doing an MSc in Management (Organizational Behavior) at Ryerson instead! 

Hope everyone here finds their best fit and dream program! :)

Edited by pearl_lyng

I will be accepting my 1-year MSW offer at Western but was also offered admission in Windsor's MSWWP program for the 1-year as well as Laurier's 1-year MSW on-campus program so spots will open up both at Windsor and Laurier. Good luck everyone :)