Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

1 hour ago, Han14 said:

Hi all! I just received an e-mail from Angela at U of T for an offer of admission off of the waitlist! I had been waitlisted early March. This is for the Advanced Standing 1 year program, in the Mental Health and Health Stream! 

Congratulations, that's awesome :)

7 minutes ago, mswmsw2020 said:

Hi everyone. I just received an acceptance to Lakehead's HBSW at the Orillia campus. I will be declining as I have decided to go elsewhere so a spot will open up. Best of luck!

Congrats! Did you receive an email or was it on the My.Lakehead page? Also, if you don't mind me asking, is your last name closer to the beginning of the alphabet? I'm in the middle so now I'm kinda worried I'll have to wait if it's alphabetical LOL.

17 minutes ago, Alyssa.O said:

Congrats! Did you receive an email or was it on the My.Lakehead page? Also, if you don't mind me asking, is your last name closer to the beginning of the alphabet? I'm in the middle so now I'm kinda worried I'll have to wait if it's alphabetical LOL.

Edited by JK1009469

Just now, JK1009469 said:

I received an email, my last name is also in the right in the middle. Best of luck!

Thanks! Did you apply to both schools, or just Thunder Bay? Also, regarding their waitlist, do you know if it's a rolling basis?

5 minutes ago, Alyssa.O said:

Thanks! Did you apply to both schools, or just Thunder Bay? Also, regarding their waitlist, do you know if it's a rolling basis?

I'm in the program right now and I know a bit about the waitlist! After the first round of people either accept or decline their offer, the social work department re-looks at all of the applicants on the waiting list and sends out offers depending on how many additional spots are available. There isn't a numbered waitlist, so you don't have a specific spot on the waitlist. I would say though - a lot of my class came from the waitlist (some even got admitted a week before the program started) so there's a good chance to get off of it! 

Edited by sunflower21

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place to post, I'm new here. 

Has anyone heard back from Laurier's non-BSW MSW online program? On the website it says to wait unit May, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard back earlier. I only applied to this one program, since I need it to be online. I don't think I'm in a position to be competitive enough for it, but thought I'd try anyway. Otherwise, I am planning to complete another Bachelors but in Social Work, which I can do in about 1.5 to 2 years. Not ideal since I have a BA and an MA already. This wait is killing me.

(okay, I've posted this in 2 other places, but I think this is the right place now)

On 4/14/2020 at 2:28 PM, Coolcat2019 said:

Realistically I’m wondering how hard is it to get in at Laurier for the 2 year online MSW?

It’s really my only option (don’t have a BSW and can’t quit my job to go back to school - I’m sure lots of people are in the same boat lol). When I emailed a few months back they said they had 250+ applicants and would be accepting about 25. Oof. I almost didn’t apply after hearing this but then thought, what if everyone said that, and applied anyway lol.

I have a BA honours in psych with about a 3.6 or 3.7 GPA. 5ish years experience working in the mental health & disabilities field. Have worked 1:1 with youth and adults with developmental delays and mental health diagnoses. Also have a post graduate in behavioural science. But based on things I’ve read my chances are not that great and I’ve heard of people with 15 years of related experience getting rejected lol

I'm in the same boat. Have you heard back? It's the only program I applied to for MSW.

24 minutes ago, sunflower21 said:

I'm in the program right now and I know a bit about the waitlist! After the first round of people either accept or decline their offer, the social work department re-looks at all of the applicants on the waiting list and sends out offers depending on how many additional spots are available. There isn't a numbered waitlist, so you don't have a specific spot on the waitlist. I would say though - a lot of my class came from the waitlist (some even got admitted a week before the program started) so there's a good chance to get off of it! 

I got an email from Madge saying I have been waitlisted at the Thunder Bay campus, but I am a little confused as I only applied for the Orillia program. I was under the impression I could not be considered for the waitlist at Thunder Bay if I did not apply there. 

9 minutes ago, olivolia said:

Just got wait listed at Laurier. Really hoping for the best as its my only option left here!

Waitlisted for the Fall MSW nonBSW online program?

11 minutes ago, Meg_gray11 said:

I got an email from Madge saying I have been waitlisted at the Thunder Bay campus, but I am a little confused as I only applied for the Orillia program. I was under the impression I could not be considered for the waitlist at Thunder Bay if I did not apply there. 

Check your My.Lakehead profile! Where it says track your application status, that will probably be the most correct indicator as to what the decision is :)

40 minutes ago, sunflower21 said:

Oh, that makes sense! Do you know when the first round "ends" and the next round begins? Like could it be a month later, or just a couple of weeks?

Just now, Alyssa.O said:

Check your My.Lakehead profile! Where it says track your application status, that will probably be the most correct indicator as to what the decision is :)

Thank you! It says Orillia there, but I emailed Madge back to just to confirm! 

3 minutes ago, Alyssa.O said:

Oh, that makes sense! Do you know when the first round "ends" and the next round begins? Like could it be a month later, or just a couple of weeks?

Last year we found out first round on April 4th and had to accept by April 16th - so I imagine the amount of days in between will be the same this year! 

On 4/10/2020 at 2:30 PM, asingh25 said:

has anyone else heard back from york's 2 year msw? i saw here that 2 ppl were accepted a few days back, just wondering if anyone has heard anything else

I still haven’t heard back, is anyone else still waiting on a reply?

Just now, SunnyD said:

I still haven’t heard back, is anyone else still waiting on a reply?

thankyou for letting me know! i read through last years forum and it seems like york gives out some acceptances, waits to hear back from those applicants, then accepts/waitlists/rejects the other applicants accordingly 

1 hour ago, jmfmsw said:

I'm in the same boat. Have you heard back? It's the only program I applied to for MSW.

I applied for the 1 year MSW online at Laurier and I have not heard back yet. My thought is they will roll out all the in person 1 and 2 year programs then do online! 

21 hours ago, SocialWorkMSW said:

So how long about did it take them to give you an offer? Mine is still under review :(

Hey I heard back and they said this "

Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out and apologies for the delay in our response. We are experiencing a higher volume of applications at this time, and our team is working to process them as quickly as possible.

I can confirm that we have received your application along with your references, and the application is in queue to be reviewed. Our Admissions team will be reviewing it as soon as they can.

Thanks in advance for your patience and interest in becoming a part of the Kids Help Phone team,

-Kids Help Phone Admissions"

Did you hear back yet?