Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

16 hours ago, Raysha said:

Hi, thanks for your reply. Congrats on being waitlisted. I hope you get int this time! Humber is way too far for me. I live downtown and I can't relocate. That the main reason why I chose the private college. The only college near me is George Brown and their program is already full. Do you think its a bad idea to go to the private college and instead try getting experience in the field?

It's at Humber Lakeshore if that makes it a bit easier, I know the ride still would not be the greatest though. I'm not too sure about private college's. Personally I won't go to one as the tuition tends to be a bit heavier and from what I've heard from friends who went to private, they had a lot more difficulty finding jobs as private schools aren't as recognized and there's a stereotype that people that come from private colleges didn't earn a proper qualification, they just paid for it. I don't believe in that stereotype myself but I do think it's harder for other institutions to take them seriously. I only have one friend who found a job after going to a private college, but she went for massage therapy which is not as big as the social services field.

I also find that paid experience in the field looks better on a post-graduate application (which is why I worked the year since I had been accepted to Humber last year and turned it down to work instead). I also find that financially, working made more sense to me for my situation as I knew I would be going back to school. If the private college gives you a lot of practical experience, it would still strengthen an application in the future and any added education also strengthens that application but I think the name of a private college will hinder you (just my opinion based on my experiences, others may have different opinions on the matter).

14 hours ago, Lalalla said:

Did you apply to other programs ? 

I also applied to Laurier, York and a few colleges last year but got waitlisted at York and rejected at Laurier and accepted into 3 colleges (Humber, Georgian, Conestoga). This year I only applied to UofT and Humber as I realized those are the only places that match what I want to do. I've been accepted to Humber College Lakeshore for a 1-year post-grad certificate in addictions and mental health and once I saw that I was waitlisted for UofT, I went ahead and accepted Humber's offer. I'm not a fan of online at all so I hope the pandemic has settled by September but if it doesn't I'm willing to do online as I am hoping to apply to UofT again and want to strengthen my application further.

Just now, sofiahats said:

I also applied to Laurier, York and a few colleges last year but got waitlisted at York and rejected at Laurier and accepted into 3 colleges (Humber, Georgian, Conestoga). This year I only applied to UofT and Humber as I realized those are the only places that match what I want to do. I've been accepted to Humber College Lakeshore for a 1-year post-grad certificate in addictions and mental health and once I saw that I was waitlisted for UofT, I went ahead and accepted Humber's offer. I'm not a fan of online at all so I hope the pandemic has settled by September but if it doesn't I'm willing to do online as I am hoping to apply to UofT again and want to strengthen my application further.

I have friends who got waitlisted into Uoft and got accepted in July and another friend got accepted in August. I heard great things about  the Humber program ! Congratulations!! I hope you get moved out of the wait list I’ll be praying for you ! 

16 hours ago, PB&yogurt said:

Just checked my MyFile for York (2-year) and the status has changed to admitted!!! So people who are waiting on York, you can probably start checking your MyFile!

Does anyone know where to find the "admissions letter" this photo is referencing? (It is not found in the options on the side of my MyFile)1703703448_ScreenShot2020-04-07at8_44_00PM.png.b2ce279da979dc7dfb4ccd7101c8cde4.png

305946749_ScreenShot2020-04-07at8_45_40PM.png.2223c7cb53e4d4ea09f76c2a398d2439.png

Just heard back as well. The website wasn't working for a bit and then when I checked again I was admitted, so maybe they were sending out acceptances. I also don't have an acceptance letter yet either (I applied to York for undergrad so there will be another tab after 'Letters of Recommendation Status' that says 'Admission Letters' - mine only has the acceptance from undergrad in 2016, so far). I also applied to Carelton and UofT (all 2 year) and will most likely choose York, so for those on waitlists, more spots opening!

2 hours ago, sofiahats said:

It's at Humber Lakeshore if that makes it a bit easier, I know the ride still would not be the greatest though. I'm not too sure about private college's. Personally I won't go to one as the tuition tends to be a bit heavier and from what I've heard from friends who went to private, they had a lot more difficulty finding jobs as private schools aren't as recognized and there's a stereotype that people that come from private colleges didn't earn a proper qualification, they just paid for it. I don't believe in that stereotype myself but I do think it's harder for other institutions to take them seriously. I only have one friend who found a job after going to a private college, but she went for massage therapy which is not as big as the social services field.

I also find that paid experience in the field looks better on a post-graduate application (which is why I worked the year since I had been accepted to Humber last year and turned it down to work instead). I also find that financially, working made more sense to me for my situation as I knew I would be going back to school. If the private college gives you a lot of practical experience, it would still strengthen an application in the future and any added education also strengthens that application but I think the name of a private college will hinder you (just my opinion based on my experiences, others may have different opinions on the matter).

Wow, thank you. Thats really great advice. I'll definitely take it all into consideration. I'm worried that it's going to be difficult to find work/volunteer opportunities post pandemic because of the recession. Any advice with that?

4 hours ago, Celly said:

Just want to echo some of the above posts regarding the decision to defer for one year or begin in September. With the deadline to let Angela (2 year MSW) know fast approaching, and the fact we likely won't have any more certainty about the situation by then, I think deferring is an excellent option. Especially for folks who have the added stress of flights, securing housing, etc. As well as anyone who is currently in a good job and could continue working, saving, etc for a year. I just can't fathom paying nearing 10k on tuition and having even 1 of 4 semesters online. Or the risk of practicum sites being affected. Just feels too risky!!

I am genuinely considering deferral as well! When is the deadline to let Angela know about deferrals? 

I got waitlisted for U of T MSW two year, not looking hopefully from all the waitlist postings I've seen on here so far. If anyone recieves notice about an office off the UofT 2 year MSW program please post! I'm thinking there is a deadline for acceptances or declines from those who have been offered a spot and then there might be a few people offered acceptance off the waitlist on that day! Thank you :) 

3 hours ago, K_J said:

I am genuinely considering deferral as well! When is the deadline to let Angela know about deferrals? 

My understanding is it's the same as letting her know if you accept or decline. So 4 weeks from the date of your offer letter. With such little time I think I will defer. And look forward to beginning next fall with more certainty!

23 minutes ago, PESocialW said:

I got waitlisted for U of T MSW two year, not looking hopefully from all the waitlist postings I've seen on here so far. If anyone recieves notice about an office off the UofT 2 year MSW program please post! I'm thinking there is a deadline for acceptances or declines from those who have been offered a spot and then there might be a few people offered acceptance off the waitlist on that day! Thank you :) 

We have four weeks from acceptance to accept/decline for UofT if that helps :) 

Congratulations to everyone who has already been accepted!

I am wondering if anyone has been pulled from Carleton's or Windsor's 2-Year MSW waitlist yet and has received an offer? I've been waitlisted for both and am unsure of what odds I have of getting off the waitlists. Any input would be great as this is my first year applying :)

Edited by MSW_640

Hello everyone,

I had been put on the waitlist for both University of Windsor, UofT and I am still waiting to hear back from Laurier. Today something odd happened though...

I received an email from UofWindsor saying that my deferral request is being forwarded to the department for review. I never sent in a deferral request and I am assuming I would have nothing to 'defer' in the first place since I was not accepted yet. I checked EGAS and it shows "Deferal request by applicant".

I'm super confused. I have emailed the MSW coordinator to see if they have any clue as to why this happened. Has anyone else received this email?

First time poster here!

I applied for three 2-year non-BSW programs; Western (rejected), Windsor, and Laurier. I received an acceptance to U Windsor a couple nights ago, but still waiting to hear from Laurier. If I do get accepted to Laurier, I'll be going there - the suspense is killing me

Edit: Anyone know how many applicants Windsor accepts?

Edited by Erinhannah

First time poster here! 

Been waiting anxiously on the Laurier 2 year full time in class and just found out from my friend that they started sending out notifications for those who have been denied through email! Hopefully this means we'll know soon about admissions decisions! Good luck everybody :)

1 hour ago, Erinhannah said:

First time poster here!

I applied for three 2-year non-BSW programs; Western (rejected), Windsor, and Laurier. I received an acceptance to U Windsor a couple nights ago, but still waiting to hear from Laurier. If I do get accepted to Laurier, I'll be going there - the suspense is killing me

Edit: Anyone know how many applicants Windsor accepts?

Also does anyone know how many applicants Windsor waitlists?? 

On 4/8/2020 at 2:04 PM, Raysha said:

Wow, thank you. Thats really great advice. I'll definitely take it all into consideration. I'm worried that it's going to be difficult to find work/volunteer opportunities post pandemic because of the recession. Any advice with that?

With a lot of fields, I would agree but when it comes to social services there will always be a need. However, I do think that based on environment some will be harder. I think any job involving the homeless, addiction, and some jobs tailored to mental health will be easier to get but it will most likely be front line work with lower pay (if that's something that makes a difference for you), the jobs that are more clinical as well as more desk jobs will be harder to come by. in other words, you're going to have to get your hands dirty. I'm not sure how volunteering is going to work either though because there is always a huge demand for volunteers but if people are still somewhat fearful it might be difficult to find places willing to take volunteers.

Got accepted to Windsor's 2 year MSW program today! Didn't get into Laurier (May 2020) or Western though. Anyone know if there is a Facebook group yet? :) 

52 minutes ago, mswbell said:

Got accepted to Windsor's 2 year MSW program today! Didn't get into Laurier (May 2020) or Western though. Anyone know if there is a Facebook group yet? :) 

Congrats!! Did you get accepted off the waitlist?