Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

3 hours ago, jberma01 said:

Congrats!! Did you get accepted off the waitlist?

No I never got waitlisted. Which confused me because I thought other people got accepted a few weeks ago for the program and others were already waitlisted. I assumed when I hadn't heard anything, I wasn't going to get in. But I got the email around 2ish this afternoon and the acceptance letter was on egas :) 

Hey guys! I was wait listed and I want to know people's thoughts. I applied to some after degree BSW and a program at George Brown too for SSW. Which program do you think would be most useful to strengthen an application going forward for future years? both have practicum and are developing more knowledge in the social work field, but which do people think would strengthen an application for a master's more? Has anyone taken either program? 

16 minutes ago, hey123459 said:

Hey guys! I was wait listed and I want to know people's thoughts. I applied to some after degree BSW and a program at George Brown too for SSW. Which program do you think would be most useful to strengthen an application going forward for future years? both have practicum and are developing more knowledge in the social work field, but which do people think would strengthen an application for a master's more? Has anyone taken either program? 

I've taken an postgrad ssw program and it did nothing for my CV aside from more practical experience. However, I would say regardless, it was useful in the sense of an intro to social work

1 hour ago, Wgsttomsw said:

I've taken an postgrad ssw program and it did nothing for my CV aside from more practical experience. However, I would say regardless, it was useful in the sense of an intro to social work

Have you gotten accepted into a 2 year MSW program? I feel like it will help me to learn more about the SSW field and get more practical experience. 

On 3/11/2020 at 4:03 PM, AnxiousClown said:

I was accepted into U of T Advanced Standing and McGill. Just wondering if anyone has any information/advice on these two programs?

Hi there! I’ve recently accepted my offer to McGill for the Fall 2020. I have a few friends who will be attending UofT in the Fall. I think both schools are able to provide Great opportunities and exceptional education. However, I definitely think it factors in what stream you’re in and which program you believe is best for you. From what I’ve heard, UofT is very research and clinical based whereas McGill (from a professor who went there), said she had an amazing experience and you had opportunities for research and exposure to other areas without solely being a clinical or research based program. Overall, I think both programs and schools are great and it really depends on where you’d like to go or what you think you’ll enjoy more! If you have any updates as well I’d love to hear from you and chat more! :) 

I’ve noticed a few people said that they were regretted from Laurier, I’m really sorry to hear that:(.. I was wondering if it’s from the 2 year MSW fall program? Also has anyone else heard back? Any acceptances? I’m still waiting and it’s become unbearable :(.. especially after being waitlisted at UofT. 

50 minutes ago, 1996msw2020 said:

I’ve noticed a few people said that they were regretted from Laurier, I’m really sorry to hear that:(.. I was wondering if it’s from the 2 year MSW fall program? Also has anyone else heard back? Any acceptances? I’m still waiting and it’s become unbearable :(.. especially after being waitlisted at UofT. 

Yes, mine was for the 2 year fall program. It's disappointing, but these things happen and I'll re-apply in the fall.

13 hours ago, hey123459 said:

Hey all! Could someone possibly comment on when those who have been accepted to U OF T have to let Angela know by :)? Thanks.

It's one month from when you received the offer. I received mine on March 29th, therefore I would have to let her know by the end of April.

Hello fellow MSW applicants and candidates! I’m just finishing year 1 of the 2yr MSW at UofT (one paper to go!). 
if anyone wants to connect and has questions on the faculty, the courses etc, feel free to friend me/ message me on Facebook (as I don’t check grad cafe often enough). 
facebook.com/susiechicafelix 

looking forward to meeting all of you!

Any update on Waterloos waitlist? I was told that people would start hearing back mid to late April. Just wondering if anyone has had any offers yet or if anyone turned down thier offer? I know I'm technically a bit early but the wait is killing me as it's the only university I applied to!

6 hours ago, Vivi2020 said:

Any update on Waterloos waitlist? I was told that people would start hearing back mid to late April. Just wondering if anyone has had any offers yet or if anyone turned down thier offer? I know I'm technically a bit early but the wait is killing me as it's the only university I applied to!

I should clarify this is for the online part time program.

And socialworkerjake from what I've seen on the postings I think you can see your status on the LORIS website for applicants. I may be corrected on this.

7 hours ago, socialworkerjake said:

Does anyone know how you find out the admissions decision for the two year online MSW at Laurier? I have not received an email with a rejection (at least not yet). 

For the May 2020 I found out online through LORIS and also got a letter in the mail. Never got an email.

On 12/10/2019 at 11:28 AM, jberma01 said:

I applied to Dalhousie for the 2-year MSW (non-BSW entry) fall 2020 intake, and I'm applying for the same at Laurier, Windsor, and Western! 

Anyone have any insight on acceptance rates for these programs?? 

Hey! I applied to the same three programs ! I was rejected at Laurier (my dream program) and Western (only took 20 students out gf 200 applicants) and was waitlisted at Windsor. Have you heard anything?? Best of luck!

4 minutes ago, farrugi said:

Hey! I applied to the same three programs ! I was rejected at Laurier (my dream program) and Western (only took 20 students out gf 200 applicants) and was waitlisted at Windsor. Have you heard anything?? Best of luck!

Exact same as you. Sounds like the Windsor waitlist is LONG! Good luck :) 

10 minutes ago, 1996msw2020 said:

Can those who heard back from Laurier please let us know when and how they were made aware about the decision ❤️ thank you! And Goodluck to everyone

Rejected from Laurier via email on April 9th! Also updated on LORIS 

Hey all, 

This might not be the right place to ask this question but... I'm curious to know people's reasons for wanting to get an MSW. I'm assuming it's the idea of professional development / advantage? I'm interested in working in SW / mental health and would like to get some insight from people who are either already in the field or trying to get in. What does an MSW provide that other options like post-grad addiction or SSW certificates don't? Are people with MSWs better practitioners or just better paid? Would love any insights, suggestions, etc on the topic. Thanks!