Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

Just now, hopefulMSW1 said:

For those who accepted their offer to UofT...

Did Angela confirm receipt of your email with the signed Confirmation document? I sent mine in earlier this week but have yet to hear back. I also already paid my deposit. Thanks!

Hey! 

She has not yet confirmed receipt for me either and I submitted it by email on Tuesday.

13 hours ago, K_J said:

Does anyone know how the UofT 2 year MSW program is? I have read the student handbook and program descriptions from word to word, but i'm wondering if anyone knows someone who has done the program and what their personal experience was like. I got my offer of acceptance from UofT this week and I really didn't think I would have. So now I am looking at choosing between UBCO and UofT, as a lot of people have said to me that I'd regret not choosing UofT? UBCO is only a 4-5 hour drive away from where I live (Vancouver) whereas for UofT it will be a much further move, and it'll be more costly as well with the tuition fees, etc. So I only want to commit to UofT if I know that it will be the right choice for me. I know everyone's experiences will differ. UBCO is a smaller school in comparison to UofT so I'm wondering if UofT things will feel more overwhelming and competitive. If anyone has any experience about UofT to share, it'll be greatly appreciated! Or if anyone can share why they are choosing the MSW program at UofT, I'd love to hear about that as well. Thank you :) 

I haven’t been to either but based on what I’ve heard I would 100% go to UBCO. UofT is good if you want to live in Toronto for a while after because they offer good connections but I’ve heard that they are really lacking in Critical practice and the atmosphere isn’t as supportive as UBCO. Plus if you live near UBCO already it will be easier to network with people you would be working with in the future. 

But that’s just my personal preference. Both are good names although people love the UofT name for sure, I’ve heard from some alumni that it’s just a name. They will both offer quality education but I also don’t like that UofT pays agencies to just take their students leaving Ryerson and York students with the scraps. I feel that’s anti-social work values in my humble opinion. 

1 hour ago, hopefulMSW1 said:

For those who accepted their offer to UofT...

Did Angela confirm receipt of your email with the signed Confirmation document? I sent mine in earlier this week but have yet to hear back. I also already paid my deposit. Thanks!

She got back to me the same day but this was pre-pandemic. I've noticed responses in general are taking super long right now, but rest assured, she does confirm receipt of these things.

2 hours ago, AugustusGloop said:

I haven’t been to either but based on what I’ve heard I would 100% go to UBCO. UofT is good if you want to live in Toronto for a while after because they offer good connections but I’ve heard that they are really lacking in Critical practice and the atmosphere isn’t as supportive as UBCO. Plus if you live near UBCO already it will be easier to network with people you would be working with in the future. 

But that’s just my personal preference. Both are good names although people love the UofT name for sure, I’ve heard from some alumni that it’s just a name. They will both offer quality education but I also don’t like that UofT pays agencies to just take their students leaving Ryerson and York students with the scraps. I feel that’s anti-social work values in my humble opinion. 

Honestly, I haven't been to either programs either and I am an applicant for UofT but if i lived in BC i would 100% go to UBOC rather than UofT.

I actually have an MPH from uoft and did my undergrad there and can attest that it is a very institutionalized/corporate environment. My undergrad was critical because it was in inequities study and sociology but my MPH really felt like a haphazardly throne together program - and its supposedly one of the best MPH programs in the country. I think UofT definitely coasts on its' namesake and connections to larger institutions (i.e. hospitals) that enable it to offer a wider array of practicum options....

Is it obvious i have a bit of a vendetta against the school? ?

2 hours ago, mswpenguin said:

Hey! 

She has not yet confirmed receipt for me either and I submitted it by email on Tuesday.

Hey! I'm also wondering if people are paying with credit card on ACORN or only sending a certified cheque? On one page of my acceptance package it says cheque only, but on another page it says you can pay on ACORN so I am sort of confused! Thanks!

20 minutes ago, nikki_ said:

Hey! I'm also wondering if people are paying with credit card on ACORN or only sending a certified cheque? On one page of my acceptance package it says cheque only, but on another page it says you can pay on ACORN so I am sort of confused! Thanks!

I think we should go by that memo that is in the official acceptance package, which for me is dated for March 30. It says in there that you can pay by credit card. I am wondering what do other people have for their deposit deadline on ACORN? My ACORN indicates my deposit is due on April 19... 

26 minutes ago, nikki_ said:

I am also wondering this. 

I also would like to confirm that you must pay the 500$ (via ACORN) and submit the form (via email) by April 19th. The other two requirements (Code of Ethics and Online Training) must be done and signed at later dates (given on each form). Or should I aim to submit everything by April 19th?

17 minutes ago, 7astrology-- said:

I am also wondering this. 

I also would like to confirm that you must pay the 500$ (via ACORN) and submit the form (via email) by April 19th. The other two requirements (Code of Ethics and Online Training) must be done and signed at later dates (given on each form). Or should I aim to submit everything by April 19th?

hey, I paid via ACORN and my payment was accepted the following day. In terms of all the forms, I sent them in one email just to reduce the number of emails that are sent to Angela as I can only imagine how packed her email is right now. 

50 minutes ago, nikki_ said:

I paid through ACORN and it was accepted! I think either one works

First time posting but just wanted to write that if you haven't been accepted yet, don't be too upset. I have applied every year since I graduated with my BSW in April 2017 and have been rejected numerous times until this year. Your time will come :)  I was originally waitlisted by UWO on March 12 but then on March 26 I got an email saying I have been accepted into the program. I also got accepted to the Laurier September 2020 On-Campus program as well as UWindsor's Working Professionals Program. I am stuck between Laurier and Kings. Does anyone have knowledge on comparing the programs on what might be a better fit? Ideally I would like a hospital placement but am open to anything in the community as I love community-based social work and have been working in the field since August 2017. Based on location, Kings would be the more practical choice, but I would like to know more about the Laurier program to make a more informed decision if anyone has any info that might be helpful :)

1 hour ago, MSWSEPT2020 said:

First time posting but just wanted to write that if you haven't been accepted yet, don't be too upset. I have applied every year since I graduated with my BSW in April 2017 and have been rejected numerous times until this year. Your time will come :)  I was originally waitlisted by UWO on March 12 but then on March 26 I got an email saying I have been accepted into the program. I also got accepted to the Laurier September 2020 On-Campus program as well as UWindsor's Working Professionals Program. I am stuck between Laurier and Kings. Does anyone have knowledge on comparing the programs on what might be a better fit? Ideally I would like a hospital placement but am open to anything in the community as I love community-based social work and have been working in the field since August 2017. Based on location, Kings would be the more practical choice, but I would like to know more about the Laurier program to make a more informed decision if anyone has any info that might be helpful :)

Similar to what people have been writing about between UofT and UBCO, western has a very similar vibe to UofT where they focus more on their name and pumping out 'top students',  rather than supporting their students and providing a community feel. Laurier I've heard is the latter. Moreover, Laurier is more critical with a social justice focus, compared to western which is more clinical and counselling focused. 

29 minutes ago, Wgsttomsw said:

Similar to what people have been writing about between UofT and UBCO, western has a very similar vibe to UofT where they focus more on their name and pumping out 'top students',  rather than supporting their students and providing a community feel. Laurier I've heard is the latter. Moreover, Laurier is more critical with a social justice focus, compared to western which is more clinical and counselling focused. 

Do you have any insight about Carleton’s program ? 

On 9/16/2019 at 10:46 AM, Han14 said:

Hi all! Just wondering if anyone here is planning to apply to McGill MSW for Fall 2020? I haven't seen much mention of people applying there in past forums and am just curious if anyone else is interested/has applied there before!

Hi! I actually asked the same question not too long ago. I was accepted into McGill’s MSW program for Fall 2020! I feel like I’ve only heard about the program here and there because it’s also out of the province but it seems like a really great program. I had a professor who went there for their MSW and said it was a good school and program. Feel free to ask me any other questions :) I’d love to talk more! 

16 hours ago, Lalalla said:

Do you have any insight about Carleton’s program ? 

Carleton is very social justice and structural social work based. If you are interested in public policy, structural change versus front line work, Carleton is the place to be. 

9 minutes ago, Wgsttomsw said:

Carleton is very social justice and structural social work based. If you are interested in public policy, structural change versus front line work, Carleton is the place to be. 

Thank you !

I was wondering if anyone had any insights about McGill’s MSW program. My apologies for multiple posts, I’m so used to reading these posts but not actually posting :( 

Edited by Tealover101

On 3/3/2020 at 12:04 PM, Han14 said:

Has anyone else on here heard from Ryerson? Anyone for McGill either? 

Have you received any updates?  I was waitlisted at for Ryerson’s MSW program but was accepted into McGill’s MSW program for Fall 2020! I’d love to hear your thoughts on the program and updates on how everything is going! :) 

Edited by Tealover101