Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

13 hours ago, Kal008 said:

I know a few people who have been accepted who are strongly considering defering since they are not in the area and are concerned about acquiring housing/jobs prior to the fall semester starting along with the concerns you have mentioned. I think it is a valid concern given the uncertainty of the current situation 

I know some people who are thinking of deferring too. It will be a really hard time to find houses/jobs during this time so the economic side of things is looking a lot tougher. Working for another year honestly never hurt. 

9 minutes ago, hey123459 said:

I know some people who are thinking of deferring too. It will be a really hard time to find houses/jobs during this time so the economic side of things is looking a lot tougher. Working for another year honestly never hurt. 

I hope this virus finds a end soon and everyone can go to the program that have accepted for. I was thinking about waiting a year as well, however I find tuition goes up every year and if this is something you wanted for a long time maybe we all should give it a try ! Hopefully by September everything will be back to normal

36 minutes ago, hey123459 said:

My biggest worry with deferring is the possibility of not being accepted next year because you would likely have to reapply correct? And you would be going up against a different applicant pool so there is no guarantee you would be accepted!

Just now, MSWSEPT2020 said:

My biggest worry with deferring is the possibility of not being accepted next year because you would likely have to reapply correct? And you would be going up against a different applicant pool so there is no guarantee you would be accepted!

I think they can hold your spot but I am not too sure.

29 minutes ago, MSWSEPT2020 said:

Deferring means keeping your spot for the following year - you would not have to reapply. However, keep in mind that some schools do not allow you to defer your acceptance; if you cannot attend for the year you have gotten admission, you'd have to reapply. For example, Waterloo's MSW does not allow students to defer. You would have to check about your specific school. 

Edited by HopefulandCurious

3 hours ago, KnitFlamingo said:

I think Laurier had a pretty significant admissions delay with the COVID disruption in March. Someone said they only got their advanced standing decision a week ago. Hopefully that means our decisions will be rolled out soon, but it does seem nobody has heard and nobody knows quite when things will happen.

its weird though, because when I emailed a few weeks back if things will be deferred because of COVID and they told me no. She said that if anything changes they would update us..

3 minutes ago, olivolia said:

its weird though, because when I emailed a few weeks back if things will be deferred because of COVID and they told me no. She said that if anything changes they would update us..

Did she say the exact timeline was still in place or just that they were still on target for April? Just wondering because they could get things out next week and it would still be "on target" per the April indication on admissions page ?‍♀️ Either way it's frustrating though. I can't imagine what it would be like to be waiting on them if I had to make a final decision between schools soon.

1 hour ago, KnitFlamingo said:

Did she say the exact timeline was still in place or just that they were still on target for April? Just wondering because they could get things out next week and it would still be "on target" per the April indication on admissions page ?‍♀️ Either way it's frustrating though. I can't imagine what it would be like to be waiting on them if I had to make a final decision between schools soon.

Yeah their website does say April, so technically they aren't late yet. Its just sucks waiting around especially when students already knew last year. When my friend emailed again the other day she just sent a link to the admissions deadline page.

3 minutes ago, olivolia said:

Yeah their website does say April, so technically they aren't late yet. Its just sucks waiting around especially when students already knew last year. When my friend emailed again the other day she just sent a link to the admissions deadline page.

Yeah, I know. I'm about to send everyone a "stop emailing me!" order until decisions are out, haha. Every time a Gmail notification pops up on my phone I get so hopeful and then it's just a dentist note or something.

I'm guessing they know they're behind the curve and the best thing we can do is not add more to their workflow by emailing at this point.

On 4/4/2020 at 11:36 PM, Raysha said:

Hi guys,

I could really use some advice. I'm on the waitlist for the MSW program at U of T. How likely is it that I will actually get accepted? At this point I'm trying to figure out a plan B. I am thinking of getting a Community Service Worker Diploma (44 weeks) from a private college. I picked this college because I can finish the program within a year and its close to where I stay. There is a practicum part of the course as well. Will this diploma help me when I apply for a MSW program at U of T again next year? Or will it not count because it is a private college. PLEASE HELP ME OUT! Thank you

Hey, so I also got waitlisted last year and now again this year. Over the course of this past year I took the time and ended up finding a job in the field. I am now also planning for the future again (as I not optimistic about getting acceptance) so I will be going to Humber college for a 1-year addictions and mental health post-grad certificate. If you're interested in that field I know that their applications for January start is still open.

20 hours ago, MSW2020UofT said:

I'm delurking to ask for some advice: I was admitted to the 2 year MSW program at U of T and I am thrilled! However, I am a bit worried about the effect of the covid-19 situation on Fall 2020 (and maybe future terms) classes and practicums. From what I have read, social distancing might be necessary (intermittently) for 1-2 years and I don't particularly want to do online classes or remote practicums in my first year of grad school. In addition, I have applied for the gerontology focus, so I imagine that practicums working with older persons might be particularly affected in the next 1-2 years. I feel fortunate to have a full time job right now so I am thinking of deferring my admission for a year. Is anyone else thinking of deferring for these reasons or am I overreacting? (And sorry, I know this message sounds incredibly privileged as many people are out of work and stressed for their and their loved ones' health - I hope everyone stays well).

PS. Congratulations to those who were accepted this year and good luck to those still waiting to hear back. For those of you who weren't accepted, please try again next year (this was my second time applying).

Hi, so I got waitlisted for this year so I can't say too much with how classes might be run that but I am currently working at a nursing home and we are planning for the worst. Right now, we are only allowing staff and contractors essential to resident care into the home. We have also halted hiring unless it is for PSW's as they are always needed. We do not have any practicum students at the undergraduate level or even the graduate level. I believe that practicum is going to be quite difficult as I know from here, we are probably going to stay like this until June or July if not longer. I think it'll also depend when the virus peaks and when they come out with a working vaccine which I believe is not estimated to be done for at least another year. 

I don't think you're overreacting for thinking about deferral, in fact I think it's great that you're planning for what type of education works best for you. We have a long and hard road ahead and I'm sure with whatever option you go with, as long as you believe it is in your best interest, go for it.

4 hours ago, MSWSEPT2020 said:

I'm pretty sure that deferring means they will hold a spot for you next year. Don't quote me on that for sure though, I would contact Angela just so you get the information straight from the source.

21 hours ago, MSW2020UofT said:

I'm delurking to ask for some advice: I was admitted to the 2 year MSW program at U of T and I am thrilled! However, I am a bit worried about the effect of the covid-19 situation on Fall 2020 (and maybe future terms) classes and practicums. From what I have read, social distancing might be necessary (intermittently) for 1-2 years and I don't particularly want to do online classes or remote practicums in my first year of grad school. In addition, I have applied for the gerontology focus, so I imagine that practicums working with older persons might be particularly affected in the next 1-2 years. I feel fortunate to have a full time job right now so I am thinking of deferring my admission for a year. Is anyone else thinking of deferring for these reasons or am I overreacting? (And sorry, I know this message sounds incredibly privileged as many people are out of work and stressed for their and their loved ones' health - I hope everyone stays well).

PS. Congratulations to those who were accepted this year and good luck to those still waiting to hear back. For those of you who weren't accepted, please try again next year (this was my second time applying).

Your concerns are definitely valid! I am in the exact same boat. I would be moving from Vancouver as well, so the uncertainty is really stressing me out  (finding a place, flights, etc). I don't want to do online classes or remote practicums either, as I really wanted to get the actual UofT experience that I'd be paying expensive tuition fees for ?. So I totally feel your concerns. I actually didn't know there was a possibility for deferring admissions at UofT? I may look into that as well. You are definitely not overreacting! 

2 hours ago, sofiahats said:

Hey, so I also got waitlisted last year and now again this year. Over the course of this past year I took the time and ended up finding a job in the field. I am now also planning for the future again (as I not optimistic about getting acceptance) so I will be going to Humber college for a 1-year addictions and mental health post-grad certificate. If you're interested in that field I know that their applications for January start is still open.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Congrats on being waitlisted. I hope you get int this time! Humber is way too far for me. I live downtown and I can't relocate. That the main reason why I chose the private college. The only college near me is George Brown and their program is already full. Do you think its a bad idea to go to the private college and instead try getting experience in the field?

2 hours ago, K_J said:

Your concerns are definitely valid! I am in the exact same boat. I would be moving from Vancouver as well, so the uncertainty is really stressing me out  (finding a place, flights, etc). I don't want to do online classes or remote practicums either, as I really wanted to get the actual UofT experience that I'd be paying expensive tuition fees for ?. So I totally feel your concerns. I actually didn't know there was a possibility for deferring admissions at UofT? I may look into that as well. You are definitely not overreacting! 

I know someone who was waitlisted, ended up getting accepted, and then decided to defer for a year! the second last question on the official FAQ page says that UofT permits a deferral of one year only. https://socialwork.utoronto.ca/admissions/msw/admissions-faqs/

Edited by sweetpeaMSW

Just checked my MyFile for York (2-year) and the status has changed to admitted!!! So people who are waiting on York, you can probably start checking your MyFile!

Does anyone know where to find the "admissions letter" this photo is referencing? (It is not found in the options on the side of my MyFile)1703703448_ScreenShot2020-04-07at8_44_00PM.png.b2ce279da979dc7dfb4ccd7101c8cde4.png

305946749_ScreenShot2020-04-07at8_45_40PM.png.2223c7cb53e4d4ea09f76c2a398d2439.png

Edited by PB&yogurt

4 hours ago, sofiahats said:

Hi, so I got waitlisted for this year so I can't say too much with how classes might be run that but I am currently working at a nursing home and we are planning for the worst. Right now, we are only allowing staff and contractors essential to resident care into the home. We have also halted hiring unless it is for PSW's as they are always needed. We do not have any practicum students at the undergraduate level or even the graduate level. I believe that practicum is going to be quite difficult as I know from here, we are probably going to stay like this until June or July if not longer. I think it'll also depend when the virus peaks and when they come out with a working vaccine which I believe is not estimated to be done for at least another year. 

I don't think you're overreacting for thinking about deferral, in fact I think it's great that you're planning for what type of education works best for you. We have a long and hard road ahead and I'm sure with whatever option you go with, as long as you believe it is in your best interest, go for it.

Did you apply to other programs ? 

5 hours ago, K_J said:

Thanks for the reply and glad to know I am not alone. FIFSW at UofT does have an option to defer for 1 year only so if you (and I) decide to defer this year, we need to email Angela from admissions. Angela will process the deferral request and send a new admissions letter with the updated start dates for Fall 2021. When I emailed her she said that she may take a while to process deferral requests since she is working off-site. At this point I think I will defer, so a spot will likely open up in the 2 year MSW program at U of T (focus on gerontology) for anyone who wants to go ahead with a Fall 2020 start.

13 hours ago, PB&yogurt said:

Just checked my MyFile for York (2-year) and the status has changed to admitted!!! So people who are waiting on York, you can probably start checking your MyFile!

Does anyone know where to find the "admissions letter" this photo is referencing? (It is not found in the options on the side of my MyFile)1703703448_ScreenShot2020-04-07at8_44_00PM.png.b2ce279da979dc7dfb4ccd7101c8cde4.png

305946749_ScreenShot2020-04-07at8_45_40PM.png.2223c7cb53e4d4ea09f76c2a398d2439.png

Congratulations! Did you also get into U of T :D 

13 hours ago, PB&yogurt said:

congratulations!! :) did they send an email also?

Just want to echo some of the above posts regarding the decision to defer for one year or begin in September. With the deadline to let Angela (2 year MSW) know fast approaching, and the fact we likely won't have any more certainty about the situation by then, I think deferring is an excellent option. Especially for folks who have the added stress of flights, securing housing, etc. As well as anyone who is currently in a good job and could continue working, saving, etc for a year. I just can't fathom paying nearing 10k on tuition and having even 1 of 4 semesters online. Or the risk of practicum sites being affected. Just feels too risky!!