Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

Hey everyone, 

On the waitlist for UWinds 2 year non BSW MSW. Anyone know more about the waitlist? Or was accepted to UWinds and is declining their offer? 

I got an email from the grad secretary yesterday saying they needed my transcript because they’re reviewing my application...don’t know why they wouldn’t have it in the first place. Anyone else hear anything like this? Hoping they’re reviewing my application to accept me off the waitlist ... 

Best of luck

Edited by farrugi
Spelling error

3 minutes ago, farrugi said:

Hey everyone, 

On the waitlist for UWinds 2 year non BSW MSW. Anyone know more about the waitlist? Or was accepted to UWinds and is declining their offer? 

I got an email from the grad secretary yesterday saying they needed my transcript because they’re reviewing my application...don’t know why they wouldn’t have it in the first place. Anyone else hear anything like this? Hoping they’re reviewing my application to accept me off the waitlist ... 

Best of luck

Hi, im also on the waitlist but dont have much information about it unfortunately. I haven't been contacted about transcripts but hopefully this is good news for you and means the waitlist is moving. If you dont mind me asking when approximately were you placed on the waitlist? 

11 hours ago, katm149 said:

Hey! Where did you take your child sexual abuse and complex trauma interventions?

and congratulations for being accepted :)

I did it at the Justice Institute of British Columbia. It's pretty intense as it's condensed work but very rewarding. The 1-year program was supposed to end in June and I had hoped to finish it by the end (now uncertain because of COVID-19) so I could start and only focus on the Master's. The Graduate Certificate acts as a "specialization" and is usually done after a Master's (because it is quite practical and front line focused) ... but happy to have learnt lots of interventions. The program is on pause for now and they have not moved online. 

On 4/14/2020 at 3:34 PM, Wgsttomsw said:

I just received my offer of admission to Laurier's 2year non-bsw program. Does anyone know if they provide any funding (such as scholarships/bursaries/TAships)?

Congratulations I did too! And am accepting the offer today.

On 4/14/2020 at 3:12 PM, MSW Applicant said:

Hello! I received an acceptance from Laurier which I am very happy about but I am still unsure as I am interested in clinical social work. It seems like more of a social justice focused program and I am just wondering if anyone has any insight if there are opportunities for clinical placements within the program. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

I am also wondering about this! Thank you! 

2 hours ago, farrugi said:

Hey everyone, 

Best of luck

Hey!

I've also been placed on the waitlist at UWin and haven't heard anything since the intial waitlist email that I got. That'd be great news if they're moving through the waitlist! I haven't heard of anyone being asked for their transcript past the application process but I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. Best of luck!!

On 4/9/2020 at 12:52 PM, smirafza said:

First time poster here! 

Been waiting anxiously on the Laurier 2 year full time in class and just found out from my friend that they started sending out notifications for those who have been denied through email! Hopefully this means we'll know soon about admissions decisions! Good luck everybody :)

How did it go? i got my acceptance letter on the 15th!

I got my acceptance letter into the 1-year honours BSW at Lakehead Univeristy. I was accepted to both campuses. I am declined both offers. A spot will open up to two people who are on the wait list - whomever you are, congratulations! This is a huge achievement. I hope you reapply to advanced MSWs! It will take the same amount of time for us to complete our education and can't wait to see you in the field!

K

19 minutes ago, MSWCandidate2020 said:

Anyone know the acceptance rate in the 2-year program MSW at Wilfrid Laurier? Just out curiosity - how many applications were there this year or last and how many people are given a spot? 

Thanks,

K

I swear every time this question is asked a different response is given from them! I was told 80 are accepted and roughly 400 applied.

38 minutes ago, MSWCandidate2020 said:

Anyone know the acceptance rate in the 2-year program MSW at Wilfrid Laurier? Just out curiosity - how many applications were there this year or last and how many people are given a spot? 

Thanks,

K

i was rejected from their 2 yr on campus msw and in the email they wrote "There were over 200 applicants that met our minimum qualifications and we only had space for 80 in our program. Applications to the Master of Social Work program are reviewed wholistically taking into account academics, experience, personal statement and references. The decisions are never easy. The offers of admission on average had academics in the low 80’s (A-) and 3 years of relevant experience."

On 4/16/2020 at 5:29 PM, BreMSW said:

Hey folks!

I received my acceptance email yesterday for Laurier's non bsw 2 year program

Nothing on my Loris page/account has changed yet though. Just wondering if anybody else has had this issue or if I should get in contact with the school? 

Good luck to everybody who is still waiting! 

2 hours ago, mswmsw2020 said:

Hey folks! To decline an offer from Lakehead's HBSW - do you "Withdraw Choice" on OUAC? Just want to make sure I'm doing it right! Thanks in advance.

No, I was confused about this as well but there should be an offer made under the decision column. If it is no there it takes a few days for it to show up . When you click that you will either decline or accept, save it, and make sure your resubmit the entire application(which I did not do the first time and they emailed me to let me know). You will know you have done it when your application is not available to enter anymore, as the changes get sent somewhere. 

-i hope that is not too confusing, but if there isn't anything for you to click in the choices/offers section that is new, then it has not been updated yet. 

On 4/17/2020 at 7:37 PM, MSWCandidate2020 said:

Thanks,

K

My friends who received a rejection said in the email it mentioned they pick 80 out of ~200 applicants! 

On 4/18/2020 at 11:51 AM, TaddyMSW said:

Hey! I've read previous posts on this forum where folks have said that loris has been delayed in updating admission decisions. I think I also read a post or two that said loris updated before they got their acceptance letter so I think having a discrepancy on your loris account shortly after receiving acceptance is fairly common. I hope this helps and congratulations on your acceptance! That's wonderful news. 

On 4/18/2020 at 11:51 AM, TaddyMSW said: