MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

19 minutes ago, Referableorc said:

Really? I saw the website says you have to be graduate standing for the MFA and MA is for the undergrad? UK system is very different tbh

I thought MA is like a liberal art, critical theory focused program and they designed this program to bridge students into the practice . But If what you said is true, I guess the school is really hard to get in 

The MFA is an 18-month studio-based programme (two academic years) with a two part, written and oral, Critical Studies component. The MA is a 24-month studio-based programme, which has a taught History and Theory of Art component. All students follow the same studio programme, working alongside each other in an open studio environment, electing to work in the Sculpture, Painting or Fine Art Media areas. There is lively cross over between all areas.

I have an undergraduate degree from UK and i applied Slade MFA this year (got an invitation of interview in March), originally i would like to apply MA but just too lazy for drafting a research proposal after finalising the profolio ...

To continue the conversation of emailing schools to check in, who are people emailing? Waiting to hear from schools like UGA which you don't have to apply to a discipline and they don't have a graduate admissions counselor specifically. 

Who would you reach out to? If it was discipline specific, I'd message the professors, but alas, not quite sure. 

1 hour ago, tomato potato said:

Mine took forever too! It's just an acceptance letter with your scholarship info. Other things in the package are all the things you can read online!

https://www.saic.edu/admissions/graduate/admitted-grads

But don’t we need to receive it before we can accept the offer? (I’ve been waiting on mine too)

Edited by Nonameguy101

41 minutes ago, Nonameguy101 said:

But don’t we need to receive it before we can accept the offer? (I’ve been waiting on mine too)

When is your deadline? I would say definitely wait for the mail just to confirm your scholarship info, etc. But you can start reading the info to prepare yourself for the steps you need to take in order to accept the offer. 

That link is a public link that the professor contacted me through phone sent me through email, after I mentioned I still haven't my acceptance mail. 

1 hour ago, Noir said:

The MFA is an 18-month studio-based programme (two academic years) with a two part, written and oral, Critical Studies component. The MA is a 24-month studio-based programme, which has a taught History and Theory of Art component. All students follow the same studio programme, working alongside each other in an open studio environment, electing to work in the Sculpture, Painting or Fine Art Media areas. There is lively cross over between all areas.

I have an undergraduate degree from UK and i applied Slade MFA this year (got an invitation of interview in March), originally i would like to apply MA but just too lazy for drafting a research proposal after finalising the profolio ...

Thanks for the info! Good luck with your study 

2 hours ago, Noir said:

actually new genres has already asked transcripts and interviewed the finalists...

just wondering when will they confirm the final result...(maybe they have already offered spots for the two lucky applicants) 

Right, I was mentioning new genres because it’s the only discipline that seems to have conducted interviews as of yet. As far as I know. I meant that maybe they moved faster than other disciplines which are still reviewing applicants and have yet to ask for transcripts. 

The person at the office did not specify whether any admission offers had been made, but unless anyone has any further information it seems like situation where we just wait.

good luck!

7 hours ago, Ag.samii said:

I also interviewed for RISD D+M on Feb 10th, however I think they mentioned that the decisions will be released on Feb 25th.

Anybody heard from Pratt Digital Imaging?

I got an acceptance email from Pratt this morning. I applied to interaction arts in digital arts program.

Wanted to share my stats so far for future references—

UTK (Printmaking): interview invite 01/21, acceptance 01/31

U of Minnesota (Drawing, Painting, and Printmaking): interview invite 01/26, acceptance 02/04

Yale (Painting & Printmaking): rejection 01/28 

Tyler (Printmaking): no interview, acceptance 01/28 ***declined

U of Michigan Stamps (Art): interview invite 02/03, acceptance 02/28

Rutgers (Visual Arts): rejection 02/05

University at Buffalo (Studio Art): interview invite 02/24

I also applied to UCLA, CMU, WUSTL and Stanford (I know I applied to a ton...) and haven't heard anything from them.

22 hours ago, anxiouslywaiting0000 said:

Has anyone heard anything from MICA, Arizona Statue University, or University of Washington for painting? I interviewed with them all a while ago and haven't heard anything, which is hopefully fine. I just wanted to check in and see if anyone else has!

I applied to MICA's Low residency program and got an acceptance notification Feb 19th via email

I also applied to University of Washington's painting program. Interviewed way back on Feb 7th, and I still haven't hear anything. I am assuming that probably means wait-listed 

1 hour ago, MIQI said:

Wanted to share my stats so far for future references—

UTK (Printmaking): interview invite 01/21, acceptance 01/31

U of Minnesota (Drawing, Painting, and Printmaking): interview invite 01/26, acceptance 02/04

Yale (Painting & Printmaking): rejection 01/28 

Tyler (Printmaking): no interview, acceptance 01/28 ***declined

U of Michigan Stamps (Art): interview invite 02/03, acceptance 02/28

Rutgers (Visual Arts): rejection 02/05

University at Buffalo (Studio Art): interview invite 02/24

I also applied to UCLA, CMU, WUSTL and Stanford (I know I applied to a ton...) and haven't heard anything from them.

Do you have any insights on UB? It is my top choice and I haven’t heard anything from them :(. I was unsure if they required an interview or if some people get in without one. 

I got an acceptance from a school and they gave me March 13th as the deadline to make the decision. Not sure if I should contact other schools I'm waiting on to at least ask when they're planning to release the results? 

Also, has anyone heard back from RISD / artcenter / MICA graphic design program?

Edited by krystalinkim

7 minutes ago, krystalinkim said:

I got an acceptance from a school and they gave me March 13th as the deadline to make the decision. Not sure if I should contact other schools I'm waiting on to at least ask when they're planning to release the results? 

Also, has anyone heard back from RISD / artcenter / MICA graphic design program?

I had an interview with ArtCenter last week over skype, they said I would hear from them first week of March (next week)

On 2/27/2020 at 1:22 PM, Nonameguy101 said:

You just need your student ID number to accept the offer, so if that was present in the email you should be able to

2 hours ago, SLSq said:

Do you have any insights on UB? It is my top choice and I haven’t heard anything from them :(. I was unsure if they required an interview or if some people get in without one. 

They interviewed some candidates this Thursday and Friday (today.) The impression I got from my interview was that they wanna determine what classes I'd be comfortable teaching. So... I think there's a chance that this round of interviews is only for the potential Teaching Assistants, independent of the larger pool that they may accept.

9 minutes ago, MIQI said:

They interviewed some candidates this Thursday and Friday (today.) The impression I got from my interview was that they wanna determine what classes I'd be comfortable teaching. So... I think there's a chance that this round of interviews is only for the potential Teaching Assistants, independent of the larger pool that they may accept.

Thanks for the info - please keep us updated on what you hear!

Anxiously waiting on Pratt. Applied for MFA in Photography. Interviewed with two faculty members (head of the program + one of the core professors). Got a fairly good vibe from it, but who knows. Visited a talk the program put on this past week. 

They replied very positively to my 'thank you for interviewing me' email, invited me to the talk, and followed up to another email... so fingers crossed.

Only applied there and SAIC (rejected), but Pratt is my first choice.

How are y'all feeling about the interviews you've had?

Edited by nic_a

On 1/18/2020 at 10:18 AM, yungcoconut said:

Current MFA student at Hunter, happy to answer questions about the program but to be totally transparent, it is extremely flawed and I have had a negative experience during my time here. 

Can also answer questions about Yale, UCLA and other MFA programs in the city. 

Hi! It’s kind late to ask but I received interviews from Hunter and NYU, would love to hear your opinion on NYU Studio Art Steinhardt.  

On 2/27/2020 at 11:25 AM, tomato potato said:

What's everyone opinion of SUNY Purchase MFA+MA? 
Is anyone also applying? ?

I applied, according to one of my undergrad instructors Purchase has a ton of amazing faculty members and you're close enough to take advantage of the NYC art scene while also having the option to not constantly be in the city.

Does anyone know how many people get accepted to Cranbrook for painting? I'm going up there for an in person interview with groups and I'm interested in how many people they accept. Regardless, I'm excited to see the campus and meet everyone! Is anyone else from this forum going?

3 hours ago, Referableorc said:

Hi! It’s kind late to ask but I received interviews from Hunter and NYU, would love to hear your opinion on NYU Studio Art Steinhardt.  

Edit: Sorry, you only asked about Steinhardt. Please feel free to disregard my comments about Hunter, I am old and bitter :) 

Steinhardt is great, strong faculty and student work. The studio spaces are okay from what I remember but nothing particularly amazing. It's a small exclusive program so you get really close with your cohort. Very expensive so depending on your financial circumstances you might go into significant debt for it. 

I really do not like Hunter as an artist working in New Genres. It's disorganized and terribly underfunded. Faculty are spread super thin and students rely heavily on each other but everyone is broke/living off of loans so resources are scarce. You will have to fund everything yourself, from thesis shows to lecturers and studio visits. The only thing guaranteed is studio space for three years and participating in a handful of student shows on campus. I think it's better for painters and sculptors than interdisciplinary/New Genres artists. 

Edited by yungcoconut