DAAD Scholarship 2020-2021

Nikita Kamboj

Hello guys,

I want to apply for the Helmut Program at the Willy Brandt School for 2021-2022.

Please i need your advice concerning the application process. Firstly, did any of you submit a research proposal? If yes what did you think is there areas of research interest. Also, please I need someone to help me review my statement of purpose. 

I will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks so much!

On 5/1/2020 at 8:01 PM, Hakob said:

Congrats)) Did they send the declaration of acceptance as well? I got the official letter about the results of scholarship more than a week ago, but still no news of the rest of documents:)

Yes. I uploaded the declaration of acceptance, and also medical consent letter.

I had to wait for over a month to get the official letters though.

Hi! My name is Giselle. I am from Argentina and yesterday I got the Letter of award for a short research stay fellowship! I am a bit confused about the funding period. Mine has changed due to covid situation but the new period isnt viable because airports in my country are in a non operating mode till september. Should I submit the Declaration of aceptance anyway? Help!

I wish you all the best!

13 hours ago, Giselle Anahi said:

Hi! My name is Giselle. I am from Argentina and yesterday I got the Letter of award for a short research stay fellowship! I am a bit confused about the funding period. Mine has changed due to covid situation but the new period isnt viable because airports in my country are in a non operating mode till september. Should I submit the Declaration of aceptance anyway? Help!

I wish you all the best!

Hey giselle! Sorry, I don't have any information specific to Argentina nor DAAD. Still I had to come back from Mexico to Italy in mid March and that was still possible even though airports were partially closed in Italy. What I have learnt through my specific experience is that flights are operating  if you have a reason outside of tourism to go to another country and you will be boarded on flights that are bringing expats home. They are more expensive than usual and you will have to do more layovers. My best advice would be to contact your embassy and ask if study purposes would be a valid reason to travel and then ask DAAD for the documents you would need to prove it (e.g. extended stay visa, an address of residency where you can self isolate upon arrival before starting the activities etc.)

Sorry if the answer is unrelated! Best of luck x 

Hey all,

My status has changed to "Funding" a couple of weeks ago, but I got no additional info yet. I wanted to ask, how exactly will I be informed? Should I wait for an email, a message on the DAAD portal or a regular letter in my mailbox?

Thanks!

Hello everyone, 

I applied for DAAD short term research stay in Germany from Nigeria. I had submitted my application successfully since September, 2019. Up till now, I have not heard anything from DAAD only that my status changed from ''application submitted'' to nothing (just blank) a couple of days ago. I wouldn't know what this meant. Please, is this an indication of acceptance or rejection? Anyone should please enlighten me.   

42 minutes ago, Naija4best said:

Hello everyone, 

I applied for DAAD short term research stay in Germany from Nigeria. I had submitted my application successfully since September, 2019. Up till now, I have not heard anything from DAAD only that my status changed from ''application submitted'' to nothing (just blank) a couple of days ago. I wouldn't know what this meant. Please, is this an indication of acceptance or rejection? Anyone should please enlighten me.   

The space in blank means that its going to be a change in your application soon, this could lead to rejection or funding, normally I have seen that when is funding takes longer, so the most probally is that this is a good sign, but as everything with the DAAD nothing is a exact science haha 

3 minutes ago, Daad said:

today got the message from daad that 2-months intensive German course (August-september) is going to be held online

☹️

August and September? Seems like it may be online learning for international students next semester. 

They probably don't anticipate reopening the borders for students. 

Edited by Ultra_Violet

Just now, Ultra_Violet said:

August and September? Seems like it will be online learning for international students next semester. 

They probably don't anticipate reopening the borders for students. 

why? the winter semester 2020 is officially going to start in November, as far as I know

Just now, Daad said:

why? the winter semester 2020 is officially going to start in November, as far as I know

Yes exactly, there could be some restrictions to tourism, but even face to face delayed test (last winter semester) and some laboratories are going to be held starting this Monday, at least at my Uni.

Just now, Daad said:

Yes, for DAAD specifically. Other programmes will start in September. I think they will make a joint decision about international students and that decision will have to be made before September and might affect everyone. 

8 minutes ago, Ultra_Violet said:

Yes, for DAAD specifically. Other programmes will start in September. I think they will make a joint decision about international students and that decision will have to be made before September and might affect everyone. 

do i miss something or doesnt the winter semester normally start in October in Germany? And as I understood, the November thing is going to apply to all, not just daad

Edited by Daad

10 minutes ago, elianacvd said:

Yes exactly, there could be some restrictions to tourism, but even face to face delayed test (last winter semester) and some laboratories are going to be held starting this Monday, at least at my Uni.

do I get you right that even if some restrictions for tourism purposes might take place, those who come to Germany to study should be let in Germany anyways?

Just now, Daad said:

do i miss something or is the winter semester normally starts in October in Germany? And as I understood, the November thing is going to apply to all, not just daad

Of course, DAAD is an organization that gives funding to students over the world, is not a University, if the university starts (dates and so on could be diferent from uni to uni state to state) the DAAD just give the funding, and thats it, is not labor of the DAAD to determine that. If the german goverment open borders and the Unis starts you will be going thats it. 

Just now, Daad said:

do I get you right that even if some restrictions for tourism purposes might take place, those who come to Germany to study should be let in Germany anyways?

Well, all here in that sense is speculation because there are still no guidelines for that, but saying that the German Embassy says that they will open on May 15th, most of the unis are conducting this semester online but some activities are being held face-to-face. Students are not the same of tourist as you're going to live in a place where you can do quarantine and so on, and you need a visa or a permit to be there so is easier to control, but again this is an assumption. 

4 minutes ago, Daad said:

do i miss something or doesnt the winter semester normally start in October in Germany? And as I understood, the November thing is going to apply to all, not just daad

Some programmes start in September. Of course, semester dates may change. We just don't know, we are speculating.  

Has anyone from the UK heard back about the master's scholarship for all academic disciplines? I got an email from the London office back in February that said everyone would be notified by the end of April but haven't heard anything since. 

1 hour ago, obpj said:

Has anyone from the UK heard back about the master's scholarship for all academic disciplines? I got an email from the London office back in February that said everyone would be notified by the end of April but haven't heard anything since. 

Hi, this is my experience: I hope it is helpful. I applied from the UK to a one-year research grant and a short-term grant for PhDs. I was shortlisted for the one-year grant; on April 9 they told me I was going to be notified of the final outcome in 2-4 weeks. Three weeks later they confirmed that all further communications were going to be delivered via the portal and not through email. I have not heard anything since and as of now my status is still "Application submitted". 

Edited by Sasi93

On 5/6/2020 at 6:00 PM, elianacvd said:

The space in blank means that its going to be a change in your application soon, this could lead to rejection or funding, normally I have seen that when is funding takes longer, so the most probally is that this is a good sign, but as everything with the DAAD nothing is a exact science haha 

what does it mean when the application status has changed on the portal from "decision made " to blank.  
I have received an email regarding the online language course

Hi everyone,

This is Goli From Iran. I applied for DAAD Master Study Scholarship (field of Architecture & Art). I had a very good portfolio and impressive resume and I was quite sure That I gonna get the scholarship. ?However DAAD informed me that they cannot award me the scholarship but i am chosen as a reserve candidate in the case that a scholarship might become available. My status for DAAD fellowship programme is still ''application submitted'' and haven't heard anything since 6 weeks ago and have no idea when they will inform me about my new status. Has anyone the same experience or any further information about reserve candidates? I'm very disappointed :( and will appreciate your help.

On 5/18/2020 at 6:15 PM, GKH66 said:

Hi everyone,

This is Goli From Iran. I applied for DAAD Master Study Scholarship (field of Architecture & Art). I had a very good portfolio and impressive resume and I was quite sure That I gonna get the scholarship. ?However DAAD informed me that they cannot award me the scholarship but i am chosen as a reserve candidate in the case that a scholarship might become available. My status for DAAD fellowship programme is still ''application submitted'' and haven't heard anything since 6 weeks ago and have no idea when they will inform me about my new status. Has anyone the same experience or any further information about reserve candidates? I'm very disappointed :( and will appreciate your help.

Hi Goli, 

I was also listed as a reserve candidate last year, and they sent me the final result until August. So maybe you should not be too worry right now because it really took a long time.

Good luck!

9 hours ago, jyl07 said:

Hi Goli, 

I was also listed as a reserve candidate last year, and they sent me the final result until August. So maybe you should not be too worry right now because it really took a long time.

Good luck!

Hi jyl07,

I am a reserve candidate for PhD this year. Did you apply for PhD last year? and did you get the scholarship?

Thanks.