26 minutes ago, Amazon181 said:

I received my acceptance from Tulane in mid-February, which included funding. I'm on the material culture/archaeology side, as well. Hopefully this provides some context for their decision timeline!

Hm, then I'm at a loss. Maybe those who haven't heard are basically waitlisted and haven't heard yet because they're waiting to see who accepts/declines? I have no clue.

10 minutes ago, trajanicolumn said:

Hm, then I'm at a loss. Maybe those who haven't heard are basically waitlisted and haven't heard yet because they're waiting to see who accepts/declines? I have no clue.

I was also waitlisted at Tulane, and I have not heard anything from the department. I did, however, receive an email from the Assistant Dean for Graduate Programs at Tulane on March 3rd basically confirming my status as waitlisted and also explaining that they were still having issues matching GRE scores to applications. The email also states that we may contact the department after March 23rd if we still haven't received a decision from them. I'm more than happy to dm you a screenshot of the email if you'd like.

10 minutes ago, argentum said:

I was also waitlisted at Tulane, and I have not heard anything from the department. I did, however, receive an email from the Assistant Dean for Graduate Programs at Tulane on March 3rd basically confirming my status as waitlisted and also explaining that they were still having issues matching GRE scores to applications. The email also states that we may contact the department after March 23rd if we still haven't received a decision from them. I'm more than happy to dm you a screenshot of the email if you'd like.

I got that email as well. Did you receive a formal notice of being waitlisted? 

1 hour ago, Amazon181 said:

I'm in the same boat! I haven't heard anything from IPCAA, via email or snail mail. However, in my case, I'm not certain if they processed my application. On Wolverine Access, it says that my official transcript has "not yet been received" despite me having sent it in twice. I also attempted to contact the graduate school about the issue to no avail.

Let me know if you hear any updates! I'm still eager to receive some news soon.

Hi there!  I have the same issue with Wolverine (having sent mine twice too!), so I contacted the IPCAA office and one of the professors responded saying that the committee “had no trouble seeing my transcript” and that they apologize for the faulty online system (this was late January).  I never received a response from the grad school either.  

Guess we’ll just continue waiting! ?

Edited by IphigeniaInAulis

I know many of you know this, but if you know for sure you are or aren't going to a certain program, please let them know! I am in the unfortunate position of being on several waitlists for great programs and am starting to feel the pressure of the ticking clock. :( 

14 hours ago, trajanicolumn said:

I know many of you know this, but if you know for sure you are or aren't going to a certain program, please let them know! I am in the unfortunate position of being on several waitlists for great programs and am starting to feel the pressure of the ticking clock. :( 

same here with one waitlist specifically at Columbia! unfortunately my guess is this year we will know extremely late as everyone that has been accepted was not able to go on campus visits. also, if anyone is waiting to here from Oxbridge funding, I was told that I got nominated for the AHRC scholarship and that results were expected to come out last week, but for obvious reasons everything has been postponed.  

18 hours ago, Cato_Uticensis said:

Those of you waiting on word from the MA program at Tulane, after prompting for a decision on the 24th, I heard back from them yesterday with an offer of admission and a tuition waiver. Just wanted to keep you guys in the know.

I also emailed earlier this week and was told that I am basically waitlisted. That makes three waitlists ? 

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted. Unfortunately, so far I've only been waitlisted for PhD at Rutgers, BU, and UVA.  If any of you have been accepted to these programs and know that you aren't attending please let the schools know.  My future is up in the air and it would be nice to have just one acceptance come through.  I'm really feeling the pressure. 

Wondering what you all think of this:

A while back I emailed my top choice (where I'm waitlisted) about my status on the waitlist. I got a reply the other day that said I am "very much still in the running" and that it is "entirely possible" I'll receive an offer. They closed by saying they "hope to be in touch with good news soon."

Are they just being nice? The email felt very encouraging, but I'm just not sure -- do I have a very real chance? This program only takes 2 people per year and I'd sell my kidney to go. Do programs with small acceptance rates typically have a smaller waitlist? I feel like this has raised a ton of questions! Now I'm on the edge of my seat again, waiting for an update lol. 2 weeks until we all have to commit ?

Edited by trajanicolumn

4 hours ago, trajanicolumn said:

Wondering what you all think of this:

A while back I emailed my top choice (where I'm waitlisted) about my status on the waitlist. I got a reply the other day that said I am "very much still in the running" and that it is "entirely possible" I'll receive an offer. They closed by saying they "hope to be in touch with good news soon."

Are they just being nice? The email felt very encouraging, but I'm just not sure -- do I have a very real chance? This program only takes 2 people per year and I'd sell my kidney to go. Do programs with small acceptance rates typically have a smaller waitlist? I feel like this has raised a ton of questions! Now I'm on the edge of my seat again, waiting for an update lol. 2 weeks until we all have to commit ?

I would take it as a good sign rather than a bad one. The department could have easily remained silent and said nothing and just let you sweat it out, but instead they wanted to let you know that they remember that you are there waiting. I am on several waitlists right now, and I've even emailed some to let them know that I am still interested (also to keep my name in their minds) and received no reply from them, which is extremely discouraging. I say keep as much hope as you can, and let them know that you are eagerly awaiting good news from them. If you are on the waitlist, it is clear that they are interested in you, so I doubt they're just being nice. They want you too and are probably limited by funds. 

14 hours ago, chrissy2020 said:

I would take it as a good sign rather than a bad one. The department could have easily remained silent and said nothing and just let you sweat it out, but instead they wanted to let you know that they remember that you are there waiting. I am on several waitlists right now, and I've even emailed some to let them know that I am still interested (also to keep my name in their minds) and received no reply from them, which is extremely discouraging. I say keep as much hope as you can, and let them know that you are eagerly awaiting good news from them. If you are on the waitlist, it is clear that they are interested in you, so I doubt they're just being nice. They want you too and are probably limited by funds. 

I agree with Chrissy2020, I think you should take this as a good sign.  Fingers crossed for you.

1 hour ago, Seneca12 said:

Is anyone still waiting on notifications? 

The only schools I've yet to hear from with any definite decisions are ones where I've been waitlisted; I have heard from everyone either by them contacting me or me contacting them. If you haven't heard, I'd say it's reasonable to reach out and ask -- that's what I did for one of the schools I applied to, and they let me know I was waitlisted.

Hi to all, congatulations to the people who got acceptances, and best of luck for those waiting! Just a question: i am a US citizen residing in greece and  considering to apply this year for a phd in classics, but  i am not so  sure if my qualifications are enough:

-BA in Classics, univetsity of Athens, Greece, with a gpa 6.86 out of 10

-MA in classics and ancient history, univetsity of glasgow, UK. 

-23years of teaching greek and latin in public high schools in greece. 

-author of a book  for the translation and interpretation of unseen grek texts, in aid of candidates for their univetsity entrance exams. 

-certification for the incorporation of IT technologies in  classical secondary education. 

-very limited knowledge of french

I would really appreciate your thoughts, about whether i can get in to a phd programe in classics in the usa (esp. Boston where i was born some 50years ago!!) , since we are planning, as a family to relocate in the usa. 

Many many thanks in advance!!! 

Edited by Vasileios

17 minutes ago, Vasileios said:

Hi to all, congatulations to the people who got acceptances, and best of luck for those waiting! Just a question: i am a US citizen residing in greece and  considering to apply this year for a phd in classics, but  i am not so  sure if my qualifications are enough:

-BA in Classics, univetsity of Athens, Greece, with a gpa 6.86 out of 10

-MA in classics and ancient history, univetsity of glasgow, UK. 

-23years of teaching greek and latin in public high schools in greece. 

-author of a book  for the translation and interpretation of unseen grek texts, in aid of candidates for their univetsity entrance exams. 

-certification for the incorporation of IT technologies in  classical secondary education. 

-very limited knowledge of french

I would really appreciate your thoughts, about whether i can get in to a phd programe in classics in the usa (esp. Boston where i was born some 50years ago!!) , since we are planning, as a family to relocate in the usa. 

Many many thanks in advance!!! 

I think you sound like a very qualified applicant! After you decide where to apply, I would start reaching out to professors whose research areas overlap with your interests at schools you're interested in. Boston University has an excellent PhD program, but there are many great programs throughout the US. Best of luck!

Hi Vasileios, it sounds like you've had an interesting life! I think a lot of the qualifications you mentioned are going to be secondary to writing sample and letters of recommendation, so it's tough to judge your chances without knowing about those. I

t's worth nothing that, fairly or not, some (especially top) schools might be unwilling to fund someone middle-aged. But there are probably plenty of programs that are good fits. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all — I haven’t followed this forum in a couple of years and I know decisions have already been made, but just popping in as a recent Tulane MA graduate (‘19) to say that the program was amazing for my needs (Additional prep for PhD programs in classical arch.) Every single member of the faculty is wonderful and it’s a supportive environment. I really couldn’t have had a better experience and I feel like the program is a hidden gem that often gets overlooked among funded US MA programs. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the program or New Orleans. Congrats to all on your decisions. 

Edited by Spiro Spero