3 hours ago, hadrianic said:

I've had 2 interviews (both not strictly classics programs, so take with a grain of salt) and they were honestly polar opposites. In one, I was asked a lot of questions about my research and thought processes. They really pushed me deeper into my topic as well as thinking of various ways I could pursue it in graduate school. The other mostly asked me questions about my language training. They barely asked about my research and instead focused on things that were pretty technical in regards to preparation. Both interviews had discussions about program structure and people I could work with if I ended up attending, and both gave me enough time to ask questions. They were each about 20-30 min as well if that helps.

Thanks! Which school asked the language training! I am curious in what form they asked and how to answer.

5 hours ago, hadrianic said:

I've had 2 interviews (both not strictly classics programs, so take with a grain of salt) and they were honestly polar opposites. In one, I was asked a lot of questions about my research and thought processes. They really pushed me deeper into my topic as well as thinking of various ways I could pursue it in graduate school. The other mostly asked me questions about my language training. They barely asked about my research and instead focused on things that were pretty technical in regards to preparation. Both interviews had discussions about program structure and people I could work with if I ended up attending, and both gave me enough time to ask questions. They were each about 20-30 min as well if that helps.

thank you so much, this is super helpful! what was the program for the first interview? i have a 15 mins interview coming up with Columbia for their Classical Studies program, which is my top choice so I am veeery excited but also nervous. Since it is not a strictly classics department i am wondering if they might ask me similar questions as opposed to focus on my language training. 

Also yeah just updating this thread with my result because I posted on the results page but they keep classics/classical studies separate. I did not apply to columbia classics but i am guessing if they are scheduling interviews for classical studies, there might soon be news for those of you who applied for their classics phd! 

7 hours ago, santudius fusansus said:

Thanks! Which school asked the language training! I am curious in what form they asked and how to answer.

It was Yale for their Ancient History dual PhD. For context, my application included a list of all texts I've read in the original language as well as my transcript so they had access to pretty much all the information on my formal training in undergrad. If you want more details, feel free to PM me, because I honestly don't think they went about it in a very productive way, and it felt more like they didn't believe that I actually could do what I've done. Which, you know, not a great way to start.

6 hours ago, Compele said:

thank you so much, this is super helpful! what was the program for the first interview? i have a 15 mins interview coming up with Columbia for their Classical Studies program, which is my top choice so I am veeery excited but also nervous. Since it is not a strictly classics department i am wondering if they might ask me similar questions as opposed to focus on my language training.

It was for UC Berkeley's History department in Ancient History. I'm not entirely sure if the difference in the questions was due to, but it's probably worth noting that I'm not receiving my BA in classics, although I have four years of training in both languages.

Did anyone else get an email from UChicago? They were just advertising their "academic culture" and various Humanities programs, with a link to my application...but no acceptance or rejection! It feels kind of like they're baiting me.

1 hour ago, hadrianic said:

It was Yale for their Ancient History dual PhD. For context, my application included a list of all texts I've read in the original language as well as my transcript so they had access to pretty much all the information on my formal training in undergrad. If you want more details, feel free to PM me, because I honestly don't think they went about it in a very productive way, and it felt more like they didn't believe that I actually could do what I've done. Which, you know, not a great way to start.

It was for UC Berkeley's History department in Ancient History. I'm not entirely sure if the difference in the questions was due to, but it's probably worth noting that I'm not receiving my BA in classics, although I have four years of training in both languages.

Thank you hadrianic! Wish you very good luck!

33 minutes ago, Zak Grammaticus said:

Did anyone else get an email from UChicago? They were just advertising their "academic culture" and various Humanities programs, with a link to my application...but no acceptance or rejection! It feels kind of like they're baiting me.

No...I did not even get this advertising email. What do you mean by 'with a link to my application'...is that an email specific for you or a standard email? Very anxious about UChicago..

1 hour ago, santudius fusansus said:

No...I did not even get this advertising email. What do you mean by 'with a link to my application'...is that an email specific for you or a standard email? Very anxious about UChicago..

Hmm, strange! It had a link that led to the Applicant Status Portal, where the results will eventually show up. It was definitely a form email, and there wasn't any update on the portal. 

1 hour ago, santudius fusansus said:

someone has posted Chicago interview on the result page, which seems to me as a plausible date (Jan 13) according to past record. Feeling sad.

Are you an international student? Because that post was from an international student, who typically receive information in advance of domestic students.

8 minutes ago, diodotus said:

Are you an international student? Because that post was from an international student, who typically receive information in advance of domestic students.

Oops, I am mistaken—that post was not from an international student.

Update for anyone interested in U of Arizona: yesterday I was admitted to the Anthropology program. They have an Archaeology of the Mediterranean World concentration, which would be my focus should I end up there. It looks like several other people posted similar results yesterday.

That makes news from 1 out of 8 schools for me. Hoping for some more news soon!

It's the start of a new week! And the first school/business week of February! Hoping that we all hear good things very soon :) Based on when people have been notified in past years, I expect to hear from CU Boulder this week or next. Hopefully same for University of Maryland. Fingers crossed for myself and all of you!

2 hours ago, trajanicolumn said:

It's the start of a new week! And the first school/business week of February! Hoping that we all hear good things very soon :) Based on when people have been notified in past years, I expect to hear from CU Boulder this week or next. Hopefully same for University of Maryland. Fingers crossed for myself and all of you!

Sorry that this is a bit late as I just now posted on the results page, I received an acceptance email from CU-Boulder (Classics MA) on the 23rd last month. I know nothing about their full decisions timeline but perhaps this info might be useful to you.

15 hours ago, Haedus said:

Sorry that this is a bit late as I just now posted on the results page, I received an acceptance email from CU-Boulder (Classics MA) on the 23rd last month. I know nothing about their full decisions timeline but perhaps this info might be useful to you.

Received notification of my acceptance this morning! Waitlisted for funding though.

38 minutes ago, Russell said:

I'm still waiting to hear from Berkeley, Stanford, Chicago, and Princeton.  Has anyone had news from any of these programs?

No word for me from Princeton. I know they've done interviews for the program I applied to (pre-doc) but I haven't seen any decisions yet. Based on last year's thread, they seem to move pretty slowly, likely due to a high application volume.

18 minutes ago, trajanicolumn said:

No word for me from Princeton. I know they've done interviews for the program I applied to (pre-doc) but I haven't seen any decisions yet. Based on last year's thread, they seem to move pretty slowly, likely due to a high application volume.

Thanks.  I was under the impression that Stanford would make notifications by the end of January, but nothing yet.  I've made one waitlist (at the top I'm told), but I'd be able to relax and go about my work much more easily if just had one offer!  

Just saw one person post their acceptance to Chicago on the result list. Does this mean we need to brace ourselves for possible rejections...? Should I assume that if I don't receive any notification by the time other people are accepted, it's automatically a rejection for me...?

13 minutes ago, remediann said:

Just saw one person post their acceptance to Chicago on the result list. Does this mean we need to brace ourselves for possible rejections...? Should I assume that if I don't receive any notification by the time other people are accepted, it's automatically a rejection for me...?

Not necessarily. Often times schools send earlier offers to obvious frontrunner candidates. Additionally, there is the possibility of being waitlisted which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

2 minutes ago, Haedus said:

Not necessarily. Often times schools send earlier offers to obvious frontrunner candidates. Additionally, there is the possibility of being waitlisted which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

16 minutes ago, remediann said:

Seconding what Haedus said! Sometimes they even send them out on different days. It is super nerve wracking! That happened to me for Boulder -- other accepted-but-waitlisted-for-funding people heard before me so I assumed I was rejected. Imagine my surprise when I got my acceptance email!