Hey y'all,

I am just curious, which do you think is more important: to work with someone prominent in your field/area or to attend a school that you can manipulate to fit your interest but has more prestige? I am specifically looking at this question through the lens of hiring and post grad school job opportunities.

24 minutes ago, chrissy2020 said:

Hey y'all,

I am just curious, which do you think is more important: to work with someone prominent in your field/area or to attend a school that you can manipulate to fit your interest but has more prestige? I am specifically looking at this question through the lens of hiring and post grad school job opportunities.

I personally would choose the place that fits more into your specific research interests; if you want to work with this person because it aligns with your research interest, I find that that's more important than the school itself. If you find someone who you want to work with, that would personally be my top priority. I also have heard of people who started off at a "prestigious" school but then ended up following the person they were working with to a new university after they got hired elsewhere. To me, that makes more sense than having to manipulate things that could possibly not work out for you in the end. Again, this is my opinion and I'm interested in hearing what others thing, and I hope it helps!

I don't have inside info on Harvard and Princeton, but many schools don't get around to sending rejections until long after their acceptances are out. It's rather unlikely that those two schools would be rolling (top schools don't need to since they expect a decently high yield).

For what it's worth, Princeton sent its rejections just a couple days after its acceptances last year iirc, but that may not mean much. Theoretically possible though unlikely for there to be a hidden waitlist.

Can anyone comment on strengths of different MA programs: Tulane, Arizona, Maryland, Colorado, FSU? Ancient historian leaning more toward Roman than Greek; will start applying next fall (for admission fall 2021). I've got good Latin and a year of Greek.

On 3/4/2020 at 6:58 AM, trajanicolumn said:

Any word for anyone from Rutgers or UVA?

I received admission to UVA in late January, and Rutger's towards the end of February after a Skype interview. The UVA visit days were in the middle of February (I couldn't make the group visit but I think there were 4 other candidates for classics, and at least one for ancient history. I'm unsure how many they intend to admit). I met someone else with admission from Rutger's at Boston and I gather they've made all their offers for the moment, but I'm not sure what the wait list is like. I'll be freeing up at least one of those two places soon, though!

On 3/5/2020 at 11:28 PM, Zak Grammaticus said:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone had any word from UT Austin or Duke?

Austin's visit days were towards the end of February and there were 9 candidates. I received an offer shortly after the visit and I heard they were planning to make offers to about half the prospectives, so I imagine if you haven't heard from them yet you'd be a few places down the wait list, I'm afraid. As for Duke, same as chrissy2020 – they emailed at the start of February to set up a surprisingly late Skype interview around mid-March.

14 hours ago, robrob said:

I received admission to UVA in late January, and Rutger's towards the end of February after a Skype interview. The UVA visit days were in the middle of February (I couldn't make the group visit but I think there were 4 other candidates for classics, and at least one for ancient history. I'm unsure how many they intend to admit). I met someone else with admission from Rutger's at Boston and I gather they've made all their offers for the moment, but I'm not sure what the wait list is like. I'll be freeing up at least one of those two places soon, though!

Austin's visit days were towards the end of February and there were 9 candidates. I received an offer shortly after the visit and I heard they were planning to make offers to about half the prospectives, so I imagine if you haven't heard from them yet you'd be a few places down the wait list, I'm afraid. As for Duke, same as chrissy2020 – they emailed at the start of February to set up a surprisingly late Skype interview around mid-March.

Congrats! Did you apply for the PhD? I'm applying for bridge and MA programs, so I think the timeline is a bit different; the application for the bridge at UVA didn't close until March 1 so I feel like they wouldn't have sent out their admissions that early! 

Is anybody else facing cancellations for admitted students visits due to COVID-19? Any ideas on how to get the most out of these virtual "visits" or how to decide without the visit? As the programs I'm considering are fairly comparable in a number of ways (funding, location, presence of faculty working on things I'm interested in, etc), I was counting on the visits to help decide which place felt right for me.

20 hours ago, heseemstome said:

Is anybody else facing cancellations for admitted students visits due to COVID-19? Any ideas on how to get the most out of these virtual "visits" or how to decide without the visit? As the programs I'm considering are fairly comparable in a number of ways (funding, location, presence of faculty working on things I'm interested in, etc), I was counting on the visits to help decide which place felt right for me.

I'm also worried about this. I think speaking with current graduate students and, if possible, other accepted students might be the best way to get the information you need to decide. I'm also planning on asking for photos of the offices and department space -- I want to see where I'll be working for the next few years! 

On 3/10/2020 at 7:43 AM, trajanicolumn said:

Congrats! Did you apply for the PhD? I'm applying for bridge and MA programs, so I think the timeline is a bit different; the application for the bridge at UVA didn't close until March 1 so I feel like they wouldn't have sent out their admissions that early! 

Thank you! Yes I only applied for PhDs. I think the Rutger's MA deadline was March 1st too, so I imagine it'll be at least another week or two before results start coming out.

Uhh any advice on asking programs you still haven't heard from about updates? I realize that everyone's timeline has been impacted by COVID-19 and safety/health is a top priority, but I also need to know so I can make a decision!

1 hour ago, trajanicolumn said:

Uhh any advice on asking programs you still haven't heard from about updates? I realize that everyone's timeline has been impacted by COVID-19 and safety/health is a top priority, but I also need to know so I can make a decision!

Hi! It seems like we applied to some of the same programs. I wanted to let you know I heard back from Rutgers MA (accepted, no funding) and I was curious if you heard back from Tulane? I got an email some time ago that said that decisions would be posted by the 23rd at the absolute latest and if you hadn't heard back by then, you should contact the department.

6 minutes ago, Cato_Uticensis said:

Hi! It seems like we applied to some of the same programs. I wanted to let you know I heard back from Rutgers MA (accepted, no funding) and I was curious if you heard back from Tulane? I got an email some time ago that said that decisions would be posted by the 23rd at the absolute latest and if you hadn't heard back by then, you should contact the department.

Hey, I heard back from Rutgers -- same deal for me, got in but no funding.

As for Tulane, I know they've sent half-ish of their decisions; a friend there let me know that they are basically taking half philology/lit people, and half material culture/archaeology people; one from each will get funding. Philology has sent out their decisions but I'm on the material culture side and haven't heard yet. Hope that helps!

On 3/5/2020 at 6:51 PM, IphigeniaInAulis said:

I noticed that results (rejections and an acceptance) have been posted for Michigan IPCAA, but I still haven't heard anything... not entirely sure what to make of this.  Anyone else in the same boat?

I'm in the same boat! I haven't heard anything from IPCAA, via email or snail mail. However, in my case, I'm not certain if they processed my application. On Wolverine Access, it says that my official transcript has "not yet been received" despite me having sent it in twice. I also attempted to contact the graduate school about the issue to no avail.

Let me know if you hear any updates! I'm still eager to receive some news soon.

42 minutes ago, trajanicolumn said:

Hey, I heard back from Rutgers -- same deal for me, got in but no funding.

As for Tulane, I know they've sent half-ish of their decisions; a friend there let me know that they are basically taking half philology/lit people, and half material culture/archaeology people; one from each will get funding. Philology has sent out their decisions but I'm on the material culture side and haven't heard yet. Hope that helps!

I received my acceptance from Tulane in mid-February, which included funding. I'm on the material culture/archaeology side, as well. Hopefully this provides some context for their decision timeline!