4 minutes ago, santudius fusansus said:

They have already decided the date for admitted students? With no interviews or other notifications received, feel panic...

Don't panic—I found out about this during the first week of January. It is just vague but potentially useful information.

adding to the list of vague but potentially useful information: last year i applied for PhDs in comp lit and deferred an offer at Northwestern to do an MSt first. my offer came on the 29th of January and my visiting weekend around the 10th of March. So if timelines are similar, perhaps acceptances from Chicago will start coming next week? who knows

30 minutes ago, Compele said:

adding to the list of vague but potentially useful information: last year i applied for PhDs in comp lit and deferred an offer at Northwestern to do an MSt first. my offer came on the 29th of January and my visiting weekend around the 10th of March. So if timelines are similar, perhaps acceptances from Chicago will start coming next week? who knows

Could be—last year, at least, Chicago acceptances were first week of February. I happen to know that as of yesterday, ancient philosophers at Chicago who are *not* on the admissions committee have *not* received application files to review. 

2 hours ago, diodotus said:

Could be—last year, at least, Chicago acceptances were first week of February. I happen to know that as of yesterday, ancient philosophers at Chicago who are *not* on the admissions committee have *not* received application files to review. 

Oops—I mixed up Classics with Philosophy. This information means nothing for Classics.

48 minutes ago, heseemstome said:

Just received an offer for a skype interview at Princeton! Unfortunately the date they chose is during my Yale visit so I'm going to tell Princeton and hopefully work around that, but wow! Sending luck to everyone! You got this!

congratulations to you and everyone else who received good news! may i ask you which path you applied to at Princeton?

6 hours ago, heseemstome said:

I applied to Lit and Philology 

thank you, and congrats again! do you guys think there is a chance of them asking for interviews/releasing results on different dates depending on the path?

11 hours ago, Compele said:

thank you, and congrats again! do you guys think there is a chance of them asking for interviews/releasing results on different dates depending on the path?

I'm not really sure but its definitely possible! Plus it would make sense because different professors will probably have different schedules to workout interview times. My impression is that they probably contact people around similar days but not necessarily all in one day.

Just now, heseemstome said:

I have an interview with Princeton Feb 12, so I'm assuming decisions will come out sometime after that date. I have my Yale visit in a week and I'm starting to get nervous and excited! Ah! 

Wow, congrats -- you're hitting the jackpot! I assume you applied for the PhD at Princeton? I'm waiting to hear back for the pre-doc fellowship.

54 minutes ago, trajanicolumn said:

Wow, congrats -- you're hitting the jackpot! I assume you applied for the PhD at Princeton? I'm waiting to hear back for the pre-doc fellowship.

Thank you! I can't believe it! Yes, I applied for PhD.

On 1/27/2020 at 1:49 PM, trajanicolumn said:

not sure if it is helpful, but a friend of mine who applied for the predoc had an interview a month ago.

4 hours ago, Compele said:

Hey guys! for those of you who already have interviews, how are they like usually?

I've had 2 interviews (both not strictly classics programs, so take with a grain of salt) and they were honestly polar opposites. In one, I was asked a lot of questions about my research and thought processes. They really pushed me deeper into my topic as well as thinking of various ways I could pursue it in graduate school. The other mostly asked me questions about my language training. They barely asked about my research and instead focused on things that were pretty technical in regards to preparation. Both interviews had discussions about program structure and people I could work with if I ended up attending, and both gave me enough time to ask questions. They were each about 20-30 min as well if that helps.