1 hour ago, remediann said:

Just saw one person post their acceptance to Chicago on the result list. Does this mean we need to brace ourselves for possible rejections...? Should I assume that if I don't receive any notification by the time other people are accepted, it's automatically a rejection for me...?

Based on past years, it looks like as many as three and as few as one of those who are admitted to Chicago Classics end up reporting it to The Grad Cafe results survey.

Chicago Classics has admitted at least seven applicants in each of the last five years: https://provost.uchicago.edu/sites/default/files/ProgramStatisticsHUMClassics.pdf

Does anyone know the etiquette on sending an email to a school after you have been accepted? I know you're supposed to say thank you, but how do I say "yes I still want to attend the visit. And I'm still waiting to hear back from other programs before I make a decision."

2 hours ago, trajanicolumn said:

Accepted to UMD via email today! Interviewing for TA (funding) next week!

Congrats! I received my MA from their classics department — it’s a great community of wonderful people, and the program prepared me exceptionally well for PhD study. College Park is a great location too, a stone’s throw from DC.

On 2/5/2020 at 2:45 PM, freemargie said:

Yo has anybody heard anything about funding from UGA? Or know when we'll find out about funding?

Good question, I'm also waiting to hear from them. I had applied to another MA program on January 1st and am similarly still waiting to hear about the funding situation although I've already been notified of being admitted there as well.

1 hour ago, suntaliquidmanes said:

Congrats! I received my MA from their classics department — it’s a great community of wonderful people, and the program prepared me exceptionally well for PhD study. College Park is a great location too, a stone’s throw from DC.

Amazing! Would you mind if I messaged you about the program?

8 hours ago, trajanicolumn said:

Accepted to UMD via email today! Interviewing for TA (funding) next week!

Congrats, that's excellent! I've heard really good things about their Classics program (I did my undergrad in Delaware, so I was close by!). Good luck with the interview! 

sorry for asking this again but does anyone know if admission decisions for columbia classics could affect their classical studies program? i interview for classical studies this week and was told they will let me know by the end of next week, but i am also worried that decisions from classics might affect my chances? 

2 hours ago, Compele said:

sorry for asking this again but does anyone know if admission decisions for columbia classics could affect their classical studies program? i interview for classical studies this week and was told they will let me know by the end of next week, but i am also worried that decisions from classics might affect my chances? 

It's the same program, AFAIK. Some schools describe their program as Classics, others as Classical Studies, but it's the same thing.

Never mind, I guess they do have two programs!

Edited by Zak Grammaticus

6 hours ago, Compele said:

They are two totally separate programs and so their admissions processes are separate. Additionally, classical studies will accept you before inviting you to visit. Classics will give you their decision AFTER you visit. 

1 minute ago, ClassicalK said:

They are two totally separate programs and so their admissions processes are separate. Additionally, classical studies will accept you before inviting you to visit. Classics will give you their decision AFTER you visit. 

Hey thanks for the information! Do you know if Classics program has started to give out invites?

6 hours ago, ClassicalK said:

thank you for this! also that's crazy, do they at least pay for your campus visit even if it's before admission? 

22 hours ago, Compele said:

You have already got result from Columbia Classics program? And waiting for classical studies?  No news for me for the classics PhD.

10 hours ago, Compele said:

thank you for this! also that's crazy, do they at least pay for your campus visit even if it's before admission? 

Yes, of course! In general, this is standard for U.S. Ph.D. programs – if you're invited to a formal visit (whether for interviews or for an admitted students weekend), travel/accommodation should always be taken care of by the department.

Edited by hypsipyle
typo!

42 minutes ago, santudius fusansus said:

You have already got result from Columbia Classics program? And waiting for classical studies?  No news for me for the classics PhD.

I don't know about Classics or their admission results, but I interviewed with Classical Studies just this past week and was told I was going to hear back by the end of next! 

5 minutes ago, hypsipyle said:

Yes, of course! In general, this is standard for U.S. Ph.D. programs – if you're invited to a formal visit (whether for interviews or for an admitted students weekend), travel/accommodation should always be taken care of by the department.

Oh good to know! I knew they invited people to visit after making an offer, I guess it's weird to me they would make people come all the way there and possibly reject them.

23 hours ago, Compele said:

16 hours ago, ClassicalK said:

As @ClassicalK said, Columbia Classics and CLST are two separate programs entirely and have typically had different procedures for interviews/visits. The only instance in which there might be some overlap during the admissions process is when one program receives a promising application that is deemed a much better fit for the other program (this has happened a handful of times to my knowledge, usually as a result of an applicant not being aware that Classics and CLST are two separate programs with different focuses). When this occurs, the AdComm would contact you asking if you are okay with having your application transferred to the other program's applicant pool. However, I have heard that this is usually done early in the process (before interviews go out), so it probably shouldn't be something to be concerned about at this stage.

5 minutes ago, Compele said:

I don't know about Classics or their admission results, but I interviewed with Classical Studies just this past week and was told I was going to hear back by the end of next! 

Oh good to know! I knew they invited people to visit after making an offer, I guess it's weird to me they would make people come all the way there and possibly reject them.

A lot of programs have switched to Skype interviews (vel sim.) but a few holdouts (Columbia Classics, Yale, a couple others I think) still like to interview in person, their likely rationale being that it's much easier to get a well-rounded perspective on a candidate—and a sense of who they are not just as an academic, but also as a human—from face-to-face interaction, rather than a short video call. I'm still not sure where I come down on this issue: visiting a program when you already have an offer in hand certainly makes it a whole lot less stressful, but Skype has its own set of problems (one Skype interview I had during my application season had the camera angled/so far away from the committee that I couldn't actually see or hear most of the five profs present; for another one, the video kept freezing repeatedly – not exactly ideal)!

2 hours ago, hypsipyle said:

As @ClassicalK said, Columbia Classics and CLST are two separate programs entirely and have typically had different procedures for interviews/visits. The only instance in which there might be some overlap during the admissions process is when one program receives a promising application that is deemed a much better fit for the other program (this has happened a handful of times to my knowledge, usually as a result of an applicant not being aware that Classics and CLST are two separate programs with different focuses). When this occurs, the AdComm would contact you asking if you are okay with having your application transferred to the other program's applicant pool. However, I have heard that this is usually done early in the process (before interviews go out), so it probably shouldn't be something to be concerned about at this stage.

thank you for this! Are you currently at Columbia? If so, do you mind if I message you with a couple of questions?

On 2/7/2020 at 12:36 PM, Popeyyyessz said:

Hey thanks for the information! Do you know if Classics program has started to give out invites?

I actually haven't heard anything yet about the Classics program, but I believe hypsipyle would be a good person to ask!