So there’s not a thread for Fall 2020 applicants yet and I wanted to start one! 

I’m a philosophy and classical studies dual major applying to MA programs in classics for the Fall of 2020. My interests primarily lie in the reception of Greek literature in the German academy of the 18th and 19th. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 3:53 PM, EarlyNietzsche said:

I’m a philosophy and classical studies dual major applying to MA programs in classics for the Fall of 2020. My interests primarily lie in the reception of Greek literature in the German academy of the 18th and 19th. 

Not a classicist, but wanted to mention that depending on the exact nature of your project, if you're primarily interested in reception, a comparativist-friendly German department might also be a sensible place to pursue this research (though I'm not sure Germanists are that much better off than classicists when it comes to the job market). I can think of several departments that might fit the bill.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I've just finished applying for Fall 2020 as well. Glad to see there's already a thread here! I applied to three bridge programs (Princeton, Michigan, and UVA), three MA programs (Boston College, Boulder, and Tulane), and one MSC (University of Glasgow - already accepted). I'm interested in Roman religion and burial. Let me know if you guys hear anything about interviews, admissions decisions, etc! Based on previous threads it seems that some schools let you know as early as late January. Crossing my fingers!

Just a bit of info for y'all since I know it's a stressful time and more info is always welcome:

I've been chatting with folks at the schools I applied to and it seems mid-late January is when we might start hearing things about interviews and admissions decisions as early as February. Most schools will have you come stay for a weekend to visit campus and get a sense of what the department is like and that typically happens in late Feb or March, so they have to have enough time to get that all sorted out, meaning admissions decisions have to come at least a few weeks before then. 

Hope that helps!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!  I am also applying for this season.  My interests are in Greek art and archaeology, so I'm applying to PhD programs in both Art History and Classics programs.  

Thanks to the above posters for the info, and best of luck to everyone!  Happy holidays! ?

Hey all! I'm applying this season (albeit mostly to history programs), but also a couple classics or combined programs. I study identity in Hispania Baetica during the High Roman Empire from an interdisciplinary lens and its reception in medieval Spain but I've also done research on mental health and medicine during the early Roman Empire.

Good luck to everyone and I hope we all get good news sooner rather than later!

On 12/28/2019 at 3:53 PM, ClassicsCandidate said:

Good luck to everyone applying this season! I hope you all get your responses swiftly!

Thanks @ClassicsCandidate! Feel free to drop any nuggets of wisdom ? 

Anyone else freaking out that it's about to be January so we'll probably start hearing things this month...? I'm losin it over here!

On 12/31/2019 at 2:56 PM, trajanicolumn said:

Anyone else freaking out that it's about to be January so we'll probably start hearing things this month...? I'm losin it over here!

What schools are you applying to? :) so far I'm applying to MA programs at Texas Tech, U of Oregon, U of A, Kansas, and Notre Dame. I'm also applying to a couple of philosophy MA programs, and the Religious Studies MA at the University of Denver. 

On 12/31/2019 at 4:56 PM, trajanicolumn said:

YES!! But also really excited. I can't wait to hear everyone's news as it happens.

I'm applying to Columbia (my alma mater), ISAW/NYU, Michigan, Princeton, Berkeley, Brown, UCSB, and U of Arizona. AZ and Princeton were due first, so I'm expecting to hear from them first...but who knows!

On 12/31/2019 at 1:56 PM, trajanicolumn said:

Well, since everyone is anxiously awaiting their results, my only wisdom is find distractions!! I am certainly guilty of consistently refreshing my e-mail to see if I have any good news, but that'll drive you bonkers. Find something you really like and try to distract yourself with it so it'll keep you occupied while you wait for the results. I watch a lot of TV & knit, so I have something to do with my hands while I watch it (although if I'm re-watching something, I tend to play mobile games on my phone), so you're not constantly thinking about results. My next application session is Fall 2021, so I'm going to be busy prepping for that myself. Other things too, if you can't keep your focus off school, is reading blogs about things you should bring with you, get active on Academic Twitter because there's a really strong Classics/History community on there, etc. 

Other than that, if anyone just wants to vent their anxieties about apps at me, I'm always down to talk! I hope y'all get good news soon!

On 1/2/2020 at 11:17 AM, occidens said:

YES!! But also really excited. I can't wait to hear everyone's news as it happens.

I'm applying to Columbia (my alma mater), ISAW/NYU, Michigan, Princeton, Berkeley, Brown, UCSB, and U of Arizona. AZ and Princeton were due first, so I'm expecting to hear from them first...but who knows!

Did you apply to MA or PhD programs? I also applied to Princeton for their pre-doc fellowship!

On 1/2/2020 at 2:35 AM, EarlyNietzsche said:

What schools are you applying to? :) so far I'm applying to MA programs at Texas Tech, U of Oregon, U of A, Kansas, and Notre Dame. I'm also applying to a couple of philosophy MA programs, and the Religious Studies MA at the University of Denver. 

Awesome! I applied to MA programs at Boston College, CU Boulder, Tulane, and Michigan (bridge), the pre-doc fellowship at Princeton, and the bridge to the doctorate program at UVA. 

On 1/3/2020 at 1:09 PM, trajanicolumn said:

Did you apply to MA or PhD programs? I also applied to Princeton for their pre-doc fellowship!

PhD! I did an MA in 2015 so now I'm in the "all the way or not at all" camp. Possibly not the best strategy, but we'll see!

Good luck and keep us posted. It'd be nice to know someone there, if we end up going :)

1 hour ago, occidens said:

PhD! I did an MA in 2015 so now I'm in the "all the way or not at all" camp. Possibly not the best strategy, but we'll see!

Good luck and keep us posted. It'd be nice to know someone there, if we end up going :)

Awesome! Good luck! If you don't mind me asking, where did you do your MA?

On 1/6/2020 at 3:00 PM, trajanicolumn said:

Awesome! Good luck! If you don't mind me asking, where did you do your MA?

Don't mind at all! I have one in Museum Studies from George Washington, and one in Classics from Columbia. 

Hi everyone! I've applied to 7 PhD programs and will be graduating with a BA this May. I'm interested in Greek literature, more specifically in archaic poetry and Homer, but also in the intersection of text and material culture. 

Does anyone know what schools offer interviews and what we should expect in an interview? I have such anxiety about those kind of interactions, even though they always seem to go fine in the end, my brain freaks out at the thought of it. The Fall 2019 thread seemed to say that interview offers come in mid and late January (so, starting next week ah!) and that not all applicants who eventually received acceptances were interviewed. Does anyone know more about this either anecdotally or from their current departments? 

Also, best of luck to everyone! (or as my advisor says, ΕΡΡΩΣΟ!)

13 hours ago, heseemstome said:

Hi everyone! I've applied to 7 PhD programs and will be graduating with a BA this May. I'm interested in Greek literature, more specifically in archaic poetry and Homer, but also in the intersection of text and material culture. 

Does anyone know what schools offer interviews and what we should expect in an interview? I have such anxiety about those kind of interactions, even though they always seem to go fine in the end, my brain freaks out at the thought of it. The Fall 2019 thread seemed to say that interview offers come in mid and late January (so, starting next week ah!) and that not all applicants who eventually received acceptances were interviewed. Does anyone know more about this either anecdotally or from their current departments? 

Also, best of luck to everyone! (or as my advisor says, ΕΡΡΩΣΟ!)

It depends a lot on the department. Princeton is the main one to my memory that doesn't interview everyone it accepts. But I think most departments do interview everyone they accept. 

Although every interview is different, I'd expect to talk in an interview about yourself and your interests broadly, be able to elaborate on relevant info you mention in your Statement and on your writing sample, and have questions about the program. Not an exhaustive list but a good benchmark, I think.

4 hours ago, santudius fusansus said:

Hi, everyone! I am anxious about the coming week. Anyone has received any interview invitation? According to the past record, Chicago will send out interviews this week? 

I have an interview with Yale soon, but it's worth noting that I applied to the combined History/Classics PhD so although most of the people I'll be talking to are Classics profs I'm not sure what the protocol is for the Classics program alone

6 hours ago, santudius fusansus said:

Hi, everyone! I am anxious about the coming week. Anyone has received any interview invitation? According to the past record, Chicago will send out interviews this week? 

Hi! Also very anxious for this week! It feels like news (good or bad) could come any day now. It's been radio silence for me (except for the "Thanks, we'll add it to your file!" when I've had updates to my CV). Though for the programs whose deadlines have passed, I believe they meet to review everything after winter break so that should be happening soon if it isn't already. 

Has anyone heard anything from bridge/pre-doc programs yet?