MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

2 minutes ago, Paul-BSW said:

Hi guys,

Please, I have received an email/response to my inquiry from Columbia regarding how long I am to wait for, so I need help understanding when the "8 weeks" starts from? I have just received a second email from Heller (Brandeis University) trying to persuade me to take their offer (60% Scholarship for Master in Sustainable International Development).

.........Thank you for your email. Your application is complete and your materials have been received. If we require additional items from you, our office will be in touch.

If the Office of Admissions wishes to schedule an interview, you will receive an email inviting you to sign up for an interview time. You do not need to take any action at this time. 

You can expect to receive your admissions notification within approximately 8 weeks........

Anyone with experience relating to waiting for CU offer will be helpful and appreciated. 

Thanks

I was told this at least 4 weeks ago and still have no news. I applied for early decisions, too. Just know several of us are in the same boat and have deadlines to meet, too. 

So if it's 8 weeks after submission, they're overdue. 

Edited by madisonc7

1 minute ago, madisonc7 said:

I was told this at least 4 weeks ago and still have no news. I applied for early decisions, too. Just know several of us are in the same boat and have deadlines to meet, too. 

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I am already feeling uncomfortable as I hate waiting or been unsure, I wish I could just speed up things. I submitted my application on 12/08/2019 and I was hoping that the 8wks starts from then but for your experience with them. 

Thanks all the same.:unsure:

14 minutes ago, Paul-BSW said:

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I am already feeling uncomfortable as I hate waiting or been unsure, I wish I could just speed up things. I submitted my application on 12/08/2019 and I was hoping that the 8wks starts from then but for your experience with them. 

Thanks all the same.:unsure:

I understand you entirely. It's super hard. NYU wants my decision on March 11, and my worry is I won't know about CU by then (or UW, or my second DU).

3 minutes ago, madisonc7 said:

I understand you entirely. It's super hard. NYU wants my decision on March 11, and my worry is I won't know about CU by then (or UW, or my second DU).

Please, if I may ask - did you received fellowship application offer(s) weeks/days after submitting your application? I did, so I just want to know if its same for all applicants and/or maybe anyone has received such fellowship offer, just curious. 

5 minutes ago, simonsays said:

For those worrying, my friend got into Columbia the very last week of February last year! 

@madisonc7 did you get an extension for NYU? They want my decision earlier. 

No, that was just 4 weeks based on when they sent me my letter last week. 

I was looking to request an extension though, anyway. 

Edited by madisonc7

2 minutes ago, Paul-BSW said:

Please, if I may ask - did you received fellowship application offer(s) weeks/days after submitting your application? I did, so I just want to know if its same for all applicants and/or maybe anyone has received such fellowship offer, just curious. 

Yes, I did. 

2 hours ago, Gelibutter said:

Anyone here who applied to CSUEB? Is it true that they mail out their decisions and that's why it takes so long? I stalked some of the forums las year and saw that people started getting letters in the mail around Feb 23rd 

I applied to CSUEB. I hadn’t heard about snail mail response but I’m not surprised given that they were the only place I applied to that wanted the application materials in hard copy. C’mon decisions!!!!

1 hour ago, ctrmsw said:

Ah, I was waitlisted at Columbia. I didn't get an email, just an update to my portal. Pretty bummed. 

Got waitlisted as well! My friends and parents (lol) keep insisting it's still impressive considering the prestige of the school so I thought I would pass that on to you :)

1 hour ago, ctrmsw said:

Ah, I was waitlisted at Columbia. I didn't get an email, just an update to my portal. Pretty bummed. 

23 minutes ago, msw715 said:

Got waitlisted as well! My friends and parents (lol) keep insisting it's still impressive considering the prestige of the school so I thought I would pass that on to you :)

It definitely is something to be proud of!

1 minute ago, Notsosocialworker said:

Just got denied from UT Austin. How can I get over this devastating feeling?

I'm so sorry about that. That feeling sucks.

The whole application process can be really unfair because the admissions are just looking at us through a few pieces of paper, and we are so much more beyond that. I'm sure their decision is based on the limited information that they required from you, and you are a brilliant and competent person that cannot be defined by their judgements. Also, it is very possible that it's more about the school than it's about you. Like others said, maybe they dont feel that they have enough resources for you, or maybe the program is designed to fit with other concentrations. 

22 minutes ago, Notsosocialworker said:

Just got denied from UT Austin. How can I get over this devastating feeling?

I'm so sorry to hear this, I got a rejection last week and it's definitely a shitty feeling. As so many people on here have said, graduate admissions can be volatile and aren't often a reflection of you as a candidate. This is incredibly cliche but everything happens for a reason and I know you'll find yourself on the path you were meant to be on all along.

Maybe this is irrelevant but I remember getting rejected from my ~*dream school*~ for undergrad and being so unbelievably devastated and thinking I would not be happy anywhere else (we love high school melodrama). I'm finishing up my senior year at a school I hadn't even seriously considered at the time and I cannot imagine spending the last 3.5 years anywhere else. I'm trying to currently use this experience as a reminder that a year from now, I won't even think about the rejections and just be grateful I ended up where I am.

Side note: Waiting to hear back from my current ~*dream school*~ so please hold me to this mentality if I get bad news LOL 

Edited by msw715

Sorry guys I just wanna rant a bit. Ive been so nervous since this application season and have been dreaming of both being admitted to all schools and being rejected by all schools. I'm doubting myself so much recently because I'm a new grad with no paid experiences. I also had withdrawn from three semesters to take care of my health conditions and my mother back in my home country. My transcript is really inconsistent. Although my gpa raised to 3.8, I still feel that I dont stand a chance among so many excellent applicants especially because I have so many Ws on my transcripts. I also applied late due to some issues and am still waiting on the first answer. ?It's really hard to deal with the stress

Edited by msw2020waiting

On 2/14/2020 at 1:43 AM, SMLDC said:

My two cents: If you can get U of M with in-state tuition, it'll be hard to beat the value of that program. (Columbia tuition alone would be more than twice U of M in-state.) 

I haven't heard the same thing about licensing -- quite the opposite, actually. Especially at this top programs, you'll be prepared for licensing for different state exams. Personally, I plan to move back to DC after school so that my supervised training is where I plan to apply for my license. 

Thank you for the advice!  I know its a great school I'm just personally very looking forward to leaving Michigan! I lived in Ann Arbor for about a year and as much as I liked it then I don't really want to do it again. 

On 2/14/2020 at 8:15 AM, Polcc said:

it’s varies for the licensing. from my understanding it’s pretty hard to transfer over if you’ve already obtained your license otherwise I don’t think you’d have a problem if you move and take your exam there as long as you’re able to get your prior supervisors to submit their stuff. i’d call ASWB in the state you’re considering going to school to ask some info!

That's what I've heard too. I'm honestly not sure how the whole licensing process goes for social work because I decided to apply for MSW programs very recently instead of masters in psych, but I'll look into it! Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Behaviorscience said:

CONGRATS!!!!

Thank you! I'm shocked. I'm from a small town in western Kansas that no one has heard of, with the worst funding in the state. In my town, everyone goes to the hometown college and it was a big deal to even move 3 hours away. My mom sobbed when she found out I got in. She had me really young and gave up her education for me. :) I feel overwhelmingly grateful today. 

Edited by madisonc7

2 minutes ago, madisonc7 said:

Thank you! I'm shocked. I'm from a small town in western Kansas that no one has heard of, with the worst funding in the state. In my town, everyone goes to the hometown college and it was a big deal to even move 3 hours away. My mom sobbed when she found out I got in. She had me really young and gave up her education for me. :) I feel overwhelmingly grateful today. 

AWWW that is so sweet!! You will do great things!!

Edited by Behaviorscience