MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

On 4/8/2020 at 12:57 PM, sarahmarta said:

That's great to hear! Do you have any concerns about COVID and moving to Berkeley to attend class? I am coming from southern california and plan on moving, but if all the classes are online I am wondering if it would be worth it to move.

I actually have already moved to Berkeley. I still have concerns regarding online classes, if that is going to be the case then I will not be attending, even if I am already here - the university is not well established on online learning platform at all, so I would rather work for a year and then try again (OR I would go to my safe school (DU) which has a well established online program). I personally don't think it's worth it. I'll appeal to see if I can defer my enrollment to next year at Berkeley, though they don't allow that traditionally. 

On 4/7/2020 at 8:42 AM, sarahmarta said:

Hi! Congratulations to everyone that has been accepted so far. And to those that are waiting to hear back, best of luck! 

Are there any people in this thread that have been accepted to or committed to UC Berkeley for the Social Welfare program?

Hi! Yes, I was accepted and have committed. I’m guessing you are as well? It’s such a weird feeling right now because I’m excited but COVID has really thrown me off with how to plan for the fall. I’m from Southern California and was planning on moving to Berkeley in early August but now I’m not sure if that will happen. Im curious how they will handle internship placements seeing as how we should be starting looking/interviewing now with our field advisor. How are you feeling about everything? 

18 hours ago, lattes&equality said:

Hi! Yes, I was accepted and have committed. I’m guessing you are as well? It’s such a weird feeling right now because I’m excited but COVID has really thrown me off with how to plan for the fall. I’m from Southern California and was planning on moving to Berkeley in early August but now I’m not sure if that will happen. Im curious how they will handle internship placements seeing as how we should be starting looking/interviewing now with our field advisor. How are you feeling about everything? 

Congratulations! I am also feeling weary about everything. I live in So Cal was planning on moving to the Bay late August. I am also wondering if I would stay here if all the classes were online. Have you heard from a field advisor?

On 4/5/2020 at 2:50 PM, yuenmei said:

Whoa, what did you find? Was it in the undergraduate community or the MSW program? Not that either are acceptable. 

It was the undergraduate community, it seems like Boston College is making a great effort to try and combat the racism occurring while promoting diversity and inclusion but it seems as though it is a frequent occurrence. While I can't confirm nor deny if their efforts are going fruitless it is something that has turned me off as a person of color. 

Hi everyone, got my acceptance letter from Columbia earlier today, I genuinely did not expect to get admitted but here we are!! Does anyone have a general idea of the timeline for financial aid, how long did they take to get back to you?

also... has anyone else been admitted to Simmons and asked for an extension on the new deadline to respond? Would be very helpful to know as I am waiting for one last school to get back to me (Hunter).

1 hour ago, acro22 said:

Hi- has anyone who asked BC to re-evaluate their scholarship heard back yet? Their deadline to accept is this Thursday. 

Hi! I have both applied and heard back, but they wanted my competing scholarship information. I emailed them back about two weeks later once I had heard from other schools and now I'm waiting again, and have been waiting for about a week. So we'll see!

Hi everyone! 

I am deciding between a MA in Community Based Education and an MSW from WUSTL. Luckily, in this crisis, I have been also offered an extension of my contract through my current employer through the next year. Is anyone deferring based on current projections for distance learning? WUSTL does not honor scholarships if a student defers, which is a huge disincentive, but I am curious if the current crisis can change that. 

20 hours ago, Shabelly said:

Just got accepted to Columbia, NYU, Fordham , and Hunter. Now I cant decide. If you can let me know where you will be attending Fall 2020 and why you chose that University? 

I got accepted into NYU, Fordham, and Hunter as well! Still haven't heard from Columbia. 

Honestly, it came down to my cost-benefit analysis. I got a total of 24k in funding from NYU and 8k from Fordham. I got NO scholarships from Hunter (which I hear is pretty common) and it is still significantly more affordable, on top of being a highly regarded and competitive program in NYC. Outside of NYC, it doesn't have the name recognition of an a school like NYU or Columbia, but I don't feel that matters so much in this field.

Ultimately, you have to decide what feels best for you. They are all fantastic programs and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, but if cost is an important factor, Hunter is a sensible choice.

On 4/13/2020 at 1:52 PM, sarahmarta said:

Congratulations! I am also feeling weary about everything. I live in So Cal was planning on moving to the Bay late August. I am also wondering if I would stay here if all the classes were online. Have you heard from a field advisor?

Congrats to you as well!! Looks like we’re in the same boat. I haven’t heard from a field advisor but I did submit a question about that on the new admit page. Have you heard from them? 

Assuming things go back to normal, what are your housing plans? I applied to grad housing but haven’t heard anything. It’s weird to plan for future stuff right now but I also want to be prepared when the world reopens! ?

3 hours ago, Cat5 said:

Just got accepted to Columbia! I am still waiting for the financial aid letter though. Does anyone know how long it typically takes them to get back to you on that? 

hey  congratulations!!!!!!!! question: when did you submit for Columbia?

4 hours ago, Cat5 said:

Just got accepted to Columbia! I am still waiting for the financial aid letter though. Does anyone know how long it typically takes them to get back to you on that? 

I got my acceptance yesterday and I paid my tuition deposit this morning. They sent an email to me earlier with my financial aid letter. 

On 4/12/2020 at 7:23 PM, lattes&equality said:

Have you heard from your assigned Field Consultant? The admitted students website states that we’re supposed to hear in “early April.”  I’ve tried emailing and received no response.

4 hours ago, Mindfu1ness said:

Have you heard from your assigned Field Consultant? The admitted students website states that we’re supposed to hear in “early April.”  I’ve tried emailing and received no response.

Hi, I’ve done the same as you. Submitted a question and haven’t received a response. I get that there’s a lot going on right now but it’s still frustrating to not have much communication from them. I mean they’ve gotta be working from home-emails and phones still work. Do you have an idea of where/what kind of internship you want?