Harvard Kennedy MPP 2020

shrishti

2 minutes ago, Stonecold07 said:

I feel since they have posted about how hard they are working, they will roll out the decisions soon (before the weekend). However, not today. Best bet is tomorrow after they post about the admitted candidates. 

Has anyone heard from Princeton, somebody was saying they send emails prematurely to let the selected candidates know about their result. 

Yes. But in given context, we can’t be sure of anything. Usually, WWS sends informal (not premature ? ) emails to selected candidates specifying that formal acceptance will be released in a day or two.  

Just now, justaname said:

the only evening-ish photo looks pretty day-time to me. and pay attention to the captions - one is "continental breakfast", another is "light lunch."

so both of them not of that day then (at 9:15AM)...previous day's huh ? You think he's writing it today morning then?

Another question: if admitted comes tomorrow, shouldn't the decisions come the next day? which means Monday in this case?

9 minutes ago, spnfiim said:

Anyways, I couldn’t understand the logic of recent blog. They just had to post a “copy and paste” kind of ADMITTED category blog. This would have taken lesser time then writing those lines in recent blog. Admitted blog could have given them a day or so before final release. Do they want to buy more time and so delaying the admitted blog? What they are upto? 
Usually, at this time, everything are in place and they just conduct dry run at their end to see if everything is working seamlessly.. This blog could be an indication of that status. 

I agree w your logic. Would have been simple to paste the generic Admitted Student post if they were ready to do so. My immediate thought this a.m. was that they are buying time. 

I can think of another reason for delay. It may be a random one but still read like a fiction!! 

Usually, HKS has always released the result at last in the given league of great institutions including WWS, SIPA, UC Berkeley etc. It gives HKS a reputation like show stopper. This year,  HKS continued the blog series in routine manner (not admitted, waitlisted etc) in anticipation that SIPA and WWS would release their results on time.
Since, for some reason, results of SIPA and WWS are delayed so HKS could be just on ‘wait-and-watch’ mode. Operating in that mode, HKS posted a random blog yesterday expecting that results of these institutes would come. But that hasn’t happened so today a new blog which intends to calm our nerves. 

6 minutes ago, spnfiim said:

I can think of another reason for delay. It may be a random one but still read like a fiction!! 

Usually, HKS has always released the result at last in the given league of great institutions including WWS, SIPA, UC Berkeley etc. It gives HKS a reputation like show stopper. This year,  HKS continued the blog series in routine manner (not admitted, waitlisted etc) in anticipation that SIPA and WWS would release their results on time.
Since, for some reason, results of SIPA and WWS are delayed so HKS could be just on ‘wait-and-watch’ mode. Operating in that mode, HKS posted a random blog yesterday expecting that results of these institutes would come. But that hasn’t happened so today a new blog which intends to calm our nerves. 

Honestly, this is the only explanation that ties all the loose ends...Youre amazing!!!

What would we do without ye olde grade cafe during times like these?? When I logged into the forum today I saw a "HOT" badge adorning this thread which is something I had not observed before. Lots and lots of comments on this highly-anticipated day. Anyway, I take the most recent blogpost to mean that decisions are not coming out today. I imagine there is a whole separate communications matter that's come into play with COVID-19. In addition to notifying applicants of admissions status, information about the impact of the virus seems likely to be included. For example, I imagine that in-person functions for admitted students would take a different form or be delayed. I'm sure many of you read this sad story in the NYT yesterday about Harvard students (amongst so many others) returning home... https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/us/colleges-cancel-classes-coronavirus.html

1 minute ago, Oba2020 said:

Well I think we have another day of waiting ahead of us, I'll be surprised if we get it today.. 

Good luck everyone and let's hope tomorrow signs the end of the unbearable stress! 

I still couldn't get it how can he post both admitted post as he promised in previous waitlist post, and still release the decision on the same day....

This message was posted on Harvard Law's application web:

————————

To 2020 LL.M. applicants: 

We imagine some of you may have heard about Harvard’s plan to shift to remote teaching and learning in the next few weeks, and are wondering if that will delay the release of LL.M. admissions decisions.  

Please note that we are still on track to release decisions on our original timeline (and that decisions will not be released this week).

Thank you for your patience as we work to complete the application process!

Best wishes,
Graduate Program Admissions

———

Don't know if other schools' timelines are good proxies for HKS, but a week ago, on Harvard Law forums, everyone speculated that decisions were coming out today.

?

I feel we are only going to get a decision on Monday. Matt is probably going to post the "admitted students" post tomorrow. Apart from the reasons stated around the delay, something else to consider is the effect of COVID 19. Usually decisions on admits comes with details  about admitted student weekends, financial aid etc. Given everything is going virtual and the chaos around it in Cambridge (trust me it exists, I'm at MIT right now) they probably  need extra time to sort things out. 

Edited by amaka26

It's possible that their projected yield rate for admitted students who enroll has been thrown off by the pandemic. If prospective students are unsure what the next year brings for both health and markets, are they as likely to take out student loans to pay for grad school? If HKS thinks not, they may be making adjustments in the final days to ensure they still hit their desired entering class sizes. They could, for example, be expanding the waitlist.

23 minutes ago, Huascar said:

It's possible that their projected yield rate for admitted students who enroll has been thrown off by the pandemic. If prospective students are unsure what the next year brings for both health and markets, are they as likely to take out student loans to pay for grad school? If HKS thinks not, they may be making adjustments in the final days to ensure they still hit their desired entering class sizes. They could, for example, be expanding the waitlist.

I agree with you. 

Edited by CrouchingTigerHiddenDragon

WWS just started to send out informal acceptances... i guess HKS would follow through shortly. I project the results to be posted today around noon, and financial aid letters sent either with the letter or in the afternoon. I think HKS was just tweaking the language in the acceptance letters regarding the admitted student meetups and events, thus the delay, while the fin aid decisions have already been made and ready to be sent. Fingers crossed for everyone & i hope we can hear back today and end the misery 

37 minutes ago, indianIRguy said:

If I see another innocent and harmless alumni life series post today, I'm quitting this forum honestly... or I might have to admit myself into an asylum now.

Now imagine my condition. Even if the results are announced today, it will go to IIE and not me. They will then inform Fulbright commission of my country. Depending on timezone, it usually happens next-day. The entire process could possibly take 2-3 days.Commission in return will send me an email. Just to give a perspective, my 'UMichigan' acceptance was timed at 5:14 pm on Friday and I received it on Wednesday (for intervening weekends and a public holiday in my country). So, while I am sharing the anxiety of all of you to wait for the results, I will come to know it only on Monday or Tuesday. 

That's like hanging from the rope and waiting to die. God save me meanwhile!! 

Edited by spnfiim