2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

40 minutes ago, MFALongshot said:

where did you apply this time?

Thanks for the support y'all! I applied 16 places, but my top are Michener, New Writers Project, Purdue, UMass Amherst, and UNLV. Looks like Purdue started notifying today ?

1 hour ago, mjm7668 said:

Thanks for the support y'all! I applied 16 places, but my top are Michener, New Writers Project, Purdue, UMass Amherst, and UNLV. Looks like Purdue started notifying today ?

Ah exciting. Hopefully you hear back sooner rather than later

Yay another person who applied to UNLV as a poet! And hopefully you hear good news from Purdue.

21 minutes ago, anarchisttiger said:

I had SUCH a vivid dream last night that I was accepted to Iowa, I had to wake myself up and check the portal. I even posted on here in my dream. Let’s hope it’s a premonition! 

It's so weird that I had a dream last night too, that I sitting in the HZWP classroom! ?

3 hours ago, Ydrl said:

I had another dream about Syracuse. Something’s happening to all of us.

I had a dream that I got accepted via phone by North Carolina State, and I said, "Thanks, don't forget to vote for Elizabeth Warren." The collision of grad school application life and political organizer life...

46 minutes ago, polkadotpoet said:

I had a dream that I got accepted via phone by North Carolina State, and I said, "Thanks, don't forget to vote for Elizabeth Warren." The collision of grad school application life and political organizer life...

I started laughing out loud. That’s a dream that I want to have. Instead I have nightmares about working as a bridal stylist mixed with acceptance dreams. 

21 hours ago, Ydrl said:

Yay another person who applied to UNLV as a poet! And hopefully you hear good news from Purdue.

Thanks so much! and yesss!!! UNLV looks like such a great program, it would be so cool to learn more about translation and study abroad!

12 hours ago, mjm7668 said:

Thanks so much! and yesss!!! UNLV looks like such a great program, it would be so cool to learn more about translation and study abroad!

I really really hope UNLV has resources for me to learn welsh. I want to translate welsh poetry but it’s so hard to find welsh textbooks let alone a welsh teacher.

8 hours ago, Ydrl said:

I really really hope UNLV has resources for me to learn welsh. I want to translate welsh poetry but it’s so hard to find welsh textbooks let alone a welsh teacher.

Wow that's really cool! I don't think I've read much welsh poetry, do you have any recs for me? Also, it looks like they really engage with whatever type of translation you want!

Wow that's really cool! I don't think I've read much welsh poetry, do you have any recs for me? Also, it looks like they really engage with whatever type of translation you want!

I haven't read much Welsh poetry either tbh, I just love the language. It's so interesting and complicated. And it's good that they seem to let us have free reign over which language we want to translate!

1 minute ago, anarchisttiger said:

Has anyone ever asked a school when they plan to notify? I'm too nervous to do it myself, but knowing when I could expect an answer may help quell my anxiety.

For the schools I applied, the dates are pretty well-known (per the results boards going all the way back to '16 I should expect to hear by the third week of February). If you don't have an idea, I doubt there is anything negative associated with sending a polite query (unless they specifically request applicants to not ask)

I love BU: 

"A hint: those who write in flowery prose or overly-subjectively–that is, about dreams, memories, thoughts, states of mind–or who dwell obsessively on sensitive children may find themselves at a disadvantage."

10 minutes ago, anarchisttiger said:

Has anyone ever asked a school when they plan to notify? I'm too nervous to do it myself, but knowing when I could expect an answer may help quell my anxiety.

I was just thinking of asking Syracuse or washu but I’m scared. If someone agrees to take Syracuse I’ll do washu or vice versa.