2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

1 hour ago, merry night wanderer said:

Did anyone here apply to USC, and know what's going on? That lone waitlist in the results is making me curious.

I'm wondering the same thing. It doesn't help that the office hasn't been answering calls (at least when I've tried calling)

10 hours ago, Ydrl said:

Rejected from Syracuse 

It'll be okay. It's tough and heartbreaking, but there's always next season. I know you want a change now, and you can make that change with or without school. Don't forget that!

Question for everyone. Did you all know what you wanted to write before you applied (I specifically mean poetry versus nonfiction versus fiction)? I got very discouraged while writing fiction (my once lifelong passion) so I switched to poetry. I think that may have been a mistake.

6 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Question for everyone. Did you all know what you wanted to write before you applied (I specifically mean poetry versus nonfiction versus fiction)? I got very discouraged while writing fiction (my once lifelong passion) so I switched to poetry. I think that may have been a mistake.

I do both fiction and poetry. Only poetry when I was younger, but realized later that fiction came more naturally and frankly I enjoy reading fiction much more than poetry. I think its natural to question yourself, and a cross-disciplinary program may be the answer to your dilemma, or you could always do narrative poetry. People switch all the time, it is not unusual.

Edited by rbr542

19 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Yes, I've always gravitated most strongly to fiction. I took a CNF workshop in undergrad that I really enjoyed, but I like the challenge of developing characters and filling plot holes.

Plus I've always been put off by the inherent vulnerability of writing poetry. I'd like develop those mental muscles some day, but I want to master one style of writing first.

Edited by feralgrad

22 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

I absolutely love reading poetry, even write my own, but never dared to apply as a poet because, as stated earlier, I don't feel like I understand it sufficiently (I've never taken a class on poetry etc.). I did consider a cross-disciplinary program but never applied to one. Besides all that, what I really want to do is fiction and hopefully, one day, make films. So, fiction was my only option.

Edit: I've never actually taken a fiction writing workshop either so...

Edited by MFALongshot

Since we're entering the toughest part of application season, I figured I'd post this:

As many of you may remember, this is my second year applying. Last year I got into a couple programs, but I didn't get the funding I needed. I strongly considered going anyway, but decided the back-breaking debt was not worth it (as financial flexibility is the greatest asset a creative person can have, in my opinion). It was incredibly painful to brush up against my dream without actually achieving it.

I can’t say yet whether this year will bring me success, but I can say I’m glad I didn’t attend in 2019. This past year has been profoundly challenging – creatively, mentally, personally – but I’ve grown more as a person and a writer than I ever thought possible in such a short span. I’ve proven that I can produce writing I’m proud of outside of a university. And honestly, I rose to meet some challenges that may have been insurmountable if I’d been balancing grad school and TA responsibilities. Those struggles also put the luxury of an MFA in perspective; it's still something I want to do, but I no longer view it as the most important thing I can do with my 20s.

In short, I wasn’t ready for grad school last year.

You may strike out this year (heck, I might too), and it will suck, there’s no denying that. But grad school is just one of many amazing things you can do. Ultimately, handling rejection and weathering heartbreak are vital skills for a writer, and MFA programs don’t teach you that. Perhaps that’s a bit corny, but it’s something to keep in mind.

27 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Also if you love fiction, don't be afraid to go back and write some. I've heard of famous authors reading poetry before writing fiction.

@feralgrad I agree that writing for yourself is incredibly important and that an MFA degree doesn't make someone a writer. I also agree that resilence is important in the success of a writer.

@Ydrl To answer your question, I can't say that I've swayed from writing fiction but I do read memoirs and CNF, especially when I'm doing research for a story. A few people in my life have suggested that I write a memoir but I'm not sure if I want to and would rather dedicate that time to something I'm passionate about. As others have said, it's okay to write different generes and even if you stay within one genre you can mess around with structure.

3 hours ago, Ydrl said:

I love writing and sharing my poetry but I have no desire to study it in an academic setting. The decision between the two was easy for me. Besides, I can’t see these programs going for my brand of poetry, which I share via a stage show with lights and costume changes. It’s a lot of fun but not terribly academic! 

3 hours ago, Ydrl said:

Hi! Longtime lurker and graduate of a grad CW program⁠—just wanted to encourage you in this trying time! (Definitely felt the same way as you during my first application cycle and during my first year at my CW program as well!)

• Firstly, if you don't mind answering: what made you discouraged about writing fiction?
  • Secondly: what made you write fiction (back when it was your lifelong passion) and what makes you write poetry?

I ask these things because the fact that you are a creative writer is already an indication that you are doing great things. The fact that you are a writer of two genres is already a testament to your skill as a writer! Despite how it may seem, not many writers in the academic or professional CW world write in two genres (the numbers you see for dual writers are a very small handful of the large writing world, so please trust me on this!). Furthermore, the fact that your two genres are fiction and poetry is amazing. When I was in my first program, I was often told that although fiction and poetry seem very linked, poetry was more linked with nonfiction/CNF than it was with fiction. In short, you are a writer already doing things that are above and beyond the average writer. 

As far as which genre to choose when applying, the main thing boils down to your thesis. Your thesis will be your main manuscript, which you will be able to use to submit as a book-length manuscript to publishers/agents. Do you want to have a book of poetry vs. a collection of short stories or a novel (vs. a collection of essays or a memoir for CNF writers)? The genre you apply in will result in a book of that genre. Some programs that offer cross-genre studies might allow you to have a hybrid thesis based on your studies and work produced while you're in the program, but these often need to be approved by the program director (so even if a program allows for cross-genre work, the your thesis might still be required to be in your primary genre).

But ultimately, I think it's best to apply in the genre you are most excited to learn. No matter what genre you enter in, you can write whatever genre you want as a graduate student! But many programs give workshop sign-up priority to students within the genre before letting other students in (ie. MFA fiction students will fill up the MFA fiction workshops before poets, CNF, PhD, and advance undergrads are allowed to sign-up... so depending on the max capacity of the workshop and the size of the fiction cohort, poets may not be able to enter a full workshop of fiction writers).

Hope your spirits will be lifted soon! (To all the writers in this forum, I wish you all the best in your writing!) If you write, you are a writer, degree or not. I hope you will all continue to write because you are all doing great things for this world by being writers. :)