*I is stressed* venting thread for Fall 2020 Applicants

justacigar

Hey everyone, last round an applicant started a general thread to talk about stress levels, what we were doing to stay sane, how email notifications were the bane of our existence, etc. 

Thought it might be nice to start it up again as I know I am having a hard time staying focused and patient during the waiting period! Even though I haven't seen any results or interview invites for the programs I've applied to, and I logically know I won't hear for a few weeks based on previous cycle data, it hasn't stopped me from freaking out every day and wasting a ton of time refreshing grad cafe and SDN just to see if anyone has heard from my programs ?

How are you doing? Anything positive to look forward to this holiday season? 

Oh same, it's really killing me. And you know we'll probably get these emails during the holidays when we least expect them, haha.

It's even worse because my long-term partner is applying to PhDs in a different field (mathematics) right now–it's his 3rd app cycle and my 2nd, and we've gone through all of them while together. We've dealt with it well, but it's awful to deal with this amount of uncertainty every year over and over. It'll be nice to actually know where we'll be for the next few years. And I'm so excited to move forward it's hard to keep waiting! 

I've been able to channel all of my post-app free time and energy into holiday decorating, which has been really therapeutic actually ?

So glad you made this, lol, because I didn't want to spam any other threads.

I'm also pulling my hair out. Just yesterday I was all "I guess NONE of the schools are interested in me. Time to leave the continent and apply for European programs! Good bye mom and dad!"

This past week, I've been saying "No checking gradcafe...", but I've been doing it at least 3 times a day. I was browsing the invite thread last year (i didn't apply), and I said I wasn't going to be one of those neurotic posters. Haha. 

I even have one of those website blockers extensions installed... but I keep disabling and enabling it. 

Plus, I just found out a few days ago that 3/15 of my applications are incomplete because of some very nuance technicality in the application (international applicant), so that's 3 unofficial rejections.

I want to start reserving my check-ins to December 25th, January 15th, and January 30th because it seems those are good dates where enough entires have trickled in that it's actually worth checking in.

IM SO WEAK ???

1 hour ago, justacigar said:

Hey everyone, last round an applicant started a general thread to talk about stress levels, what we were doing to stay sane, how email notifications were the bane of our existence, etc. 

Thought it might be nice to start it up again as I know I am having a hard time staying focused and patient during the waiting period! Even though I haven't seen any results or interview invites for the programs I've applied to, and I logically know I won't hear for a few weeks based on previous cycle data, it hasn't stopped me from freaking out every day and wasting a ton of time refreshing grad cafe and SDN just to see if anyone has heard from my programs ?

How are you doing? Anything positive to look forward to this holiday season? 

Thanks for this ...misery loves company so it helps to hear that Im not the only one checking each app and this website constantly for a glimmer of news. 

Also what's SDN?

@fixology holy smokes! Two partners applying at the same time, multiple times...your relationship must be extra strong at this point!! Best of luck to both of you. Managing the stress of both of the experiences must be tough. I agree, holiday decorating has saved me a few times already! And baking, as if I needed an excuse to emotionally eat, lol

@CatastrophizingNerd OMG I am literally the same! I keep waking up thinking I'm going to be strong and not check email and TGC and SDN obsessively and then I fall right back into the trap hahah. Sorry to hear about the technicalities. There isn't a way to update them now?

@Lolo2627 Agreed, I needed some solidarity. SDN = Student Doctor Network, not as active for applicants but they have forums for Psychology Phd/PsyD students and professionals that has been helpful

Also just wanted to vent I have a LoR writer (who is my main letter) who still hasnt submitted their letter to any of my schools ....Ive added a 4th LoR where I could but just seething with rage and anxiety over here, quietly eating away my feelings its cool

Finals week was a great distraction but now it's over! :( my job is going to be a work from home thing over the break so that's less helpful than being in the lab all day. 

I hate obsessing and checking the site so much but I'm so thankful for it! I don't know anyone else at my school who is applying to PhD programs so it's been really nice to talk to some of you and feel a little less alone in it all :) 

I plan on working on painting or something creative to get my mind off of the stress, we'll see how it works! 

6 minutes ago, forensicpsyc said:

First I heard was a rejection email a couple of days ago, not the best note to start on.  I've gotten past my generalizing that everyone else is going to reject me and now just seeing what happens.

Way to push through! I think I am so set on hearing any news that I didnt stop to think about what kind of news I am going to hear, so thank you for sharing and providing perspective. What school/program was that if you dont mind me asking (since I see forensics in your name)?

1 minute ago, Psych1st said:

Finals week was a great distraction but now it's over! :( my job is going to be a work from home thing over the break so that's less helpful than being in the lab all day. 

I hate obsessing and checking the site so much but I'm so thankful for it! I don't know anyone else at my school who is applying to PhD programs so it's been really nice to talk to some of you and feel a little less alone in it all :) 

I plan on working on painting or something creative to get my mind off of the stress, we'll see how it works! 

It would be great to see a pic of what you create, if you dont mind sharing

2 minutes ago, Lolo2627 said:

Way to push through! I think I am so set on hearing any news that I didnt stop to think about what kind of news I am going to hear, so thank you for sharing and providing perspective. What school/program was that if you dont mind me asking (since I see forensics in your name)?

Southern Mississippi Counseling Psyc

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......yes. It's my first time applying and I'm not sure what to expect! I keep obsessively checking the results page...fortunately, no one has posted anything from my schools yet ?

I'm a weird case--I was both an art and psych major in undergrad, so I really love making art. I've just been using this time to work on a webcomic I've neglected for the past year ? whatever keeps you sane, right? 

I think I'll vent about registering for the GRE test.

I recently requested an accommodation of 50% more time to take the test.  Waiting on the results of my request now.

Previously, I applied for 100% extra time, but they said that further documentation was needed.  I submitted a letter from my mental health center and psychiatrist (I have bipolar I and II disorder with anxiety disorder), but that apparently wasn't good enough.  ETS wants really detailed information.  I'm not applying for federal disability benefits, for God's sake!  Only extended time!  It's absolutely ridiculous.

I need to take the GRE as soon as possible, so I can't be burdened with trying to get even more detailed information from the clinic.  The bureaucracy of it all would waste too much time and I will miss the application deadlines.

So, even though the letter from my psychiatrist requests 100% more time, I'm applying for 50% more time instead.  I cannot see how it would not be granted.  Also, you don't need to submit a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) at all.  The bulletin explicitly states that you are "encouraged" to do so.  Therefore, it's not *required*.  In addition, documentation overall isn't even required to request 50% time (only for 100% extra).  I am still enclosing the letter for 100% more time anyway, which shows that I require extra time regardless.  As a result, I absolutely must get 50% more time.  And we don't want any disruptions to happen in the testing room if I'm forced to take this test with no accommodations at all, right?  Right.

Edited by Libra924

Ok vent time. It drives me crazy when one of my schools is posted without the POI. Am I still being considered, do I cross that school off!l?!?! Very frustrating. Everyone wants to know the POI so either post it or don’t post anything cause you’re driving people nuts!!! 

11 minutes ago, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

Ok vent time. It drives me crazy when one of my schools is posted without the POI. Am I still being considered, do I cross that school off!l?!?! Very frustrating. Everyone wants to know the POI so either post it or don’t post anything cause you’re driving people nuts!!! 

Agreed, it also clutters the thread up like crazy having like 4 people asking for the same school POI! I tried to get a new template going with the POI included or if they weren't willing to share but it didn't catch on, lol 

33 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Agreed, it also clutters the thread up like crazy having like 4 people asking for the same school POI! I tried to get a new template going with the POI included or if they weren't willing to share but it didn't catch on, lol 

I liked your template. I will use it when I have something to post *sigh*. 

7 hours ago, fixology said:

Oh same, it's really killing me. And you know we'll probably get these emails during the holidays when we least expect them, haha.

It's even worse because my long-term partner is applying to PhDs in a different field (mathematics) right now–it's his 3rd app cycle and my 2nd, and we've gone through all of them while together. We've dealt with it well, but it's awful to deal with this amount of uncertainty every year over and over. It'll be nice to actually know where we'll be for the next few years. And I'm so excited to move forward it's hard to keep waiting! 

I've been able to channel all of my post-app free time and energy into holiday decorating, which has been really therapeutic actually ?

I've been watching a ton of Christmas movies; it has also been quite therapeutic. ?

6 hours ago, forensicpsyc said:

First I heard was a rejection email a couple of days ago, not the best note to start on.  I've gotten past my generalizing that everyone else is going to reject me and now just seeing what happens.

Oh my gosh.. Some programs are already sending out rejections!? ?

Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you for an acceptance! ?

1 hour ago, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

Oh my god yes this.