*I is stressed* venting thread for Fall 2020 Applicants

justacigar

1 hour ago, Psych1st said:

Oh no! One of my cats is evil... I must appease her promptly. Do you think pugs carry the magic as well? Oh who am I kidding... unless ?

Yes, appease the majesty immediately! And definitely try a 1-1 with your pug too ?

1 hour ago, venusofwillendork said:

About to try a sit-down with my cat tonight... maybe it will be more effective than refreshing the results page!! (even though I know full well I will not hear anything until January at the earliest ?‍♂️)

Do it! The earlier you start (or your cat starts), the more cat magic will be ready to enchant all your schools ?‍♂️

16 minutes ago, psychologygeek said:

Any advice for dealing with a rejection letter y'all? I just received my first one. I thought I had mentally prepared myself, but it still stings haha. Hoping for better news from some of my other places!

I've already received two official rejection emails, and my prospects at my other schools aren't looking incredibly promising.  One I received today from a school who's POI I feel I have a pretty good rapport with.  I asked for constructive criticism and was very emphatic that I will be reapplying next cycle.  I've gotten over the initial heartbreak of this cycle (it still stings though), and have started mapping out a plan of action to make myself more appealing and competitive for next year.  So basic resiliency type interventions really.  

Good luck with the rest of your programs! This really is a brutal process, but from what everyone has said perseverance is key!

23 minutes ago, psychologygeek said:

Any advice for dealing with a rejection letter y'all? I just received my first one. I thought I had mentally prepared myself, but it still stings haha. Hoping for better news from some of my other places!

Sorry to hear that! Rejections are rough, especially this early in the process. It looks like you have many more to hear from, and you have to hope that the right fit will come along. It is heartbreaking, though. Let yourself be upset for a bit and then try to let it go. So many factors go in to these decisions. 

I'm starting to see interview invites come through for a school I though was a great fit, and my qualifications were better than averages for previous years...that is stinging, for sure. I'm trying to remain optimistic but it's definitely tough!

22 minutes ago, psychologygeek said:

Treat yourself to something nice that you know you enjoy.  You've come a long way to say that you're a grad school applicant--that's for sure--, and that alone should be celebrated.  Take time to appreciate how far you've come, and then buy yourself a special small something (favorite snack, extra toppings on pizza or ice cream, etc.!).  Treating myself to something small during a not-as-awesome moment helps me a bit & is a nice pick-me-up so I can continue to move forward. :)

1 hour ago, forensicpsyc said:

I've already received two official rejection emails, and my prospects at my other schools aren't looking incredibly promising.  One I received today from a school who's POI I feel I have a pretty good rapport with.  I asked for constructive criticism and was very emphatic that I will be reapplying next cycle.  I've gotten over the initial heartbreak of this cycle (it still stings though), and have started mapping out a plan of action to make myself more appealing and competitive for next year.  So basic resiliency type interventions really.  

Good luck with the rest of your programs! This really is a brutal process, but from what everyone has said perseverance is key!

I am so sorry. ? It is still really early in the process though, so I would not conclude that you were already rejected from all programs if I were you. If anything, you could have been added to some waitlists. 

However, IF you were to get rejected from all programs, I know a graduate student (now a professor) that told me he finally got accepted into a PhD program his second round, and his POI told him that it stood out to the admissions committee that he was taking the time to apply a second time! I guess that perseverance that shows from applying to a program that rejected you the first time you applied can actually help you stand out the second time around! Hopefully this helps to know, in case you do need to go for it again next year. ?

12 minutes ago, CowpokeMT said:

image.thumb.png.e2d5c86835d9e61b85a75c2eba258c1d.png

Already feeling like this is what I will be posting in a few months for all of my applications XD. Well at least there's always next year (or the next year) right?

Ugh, I just don't understand why schools just can't notify rejections in timely manner...I thought we were throwing our hundreds of dollars into their pockets to pay for such "labor and service"?

19 minutes ago, CowpokeMT said:

image.thumb.png.e2d5c86835d9e61b85a75c2eba258c1d.png

Already feeling like this is what I will be posting in a few months for all of my applications XD. Well at least there's always next year (or the next year) right?

For sure! This is my second time applying for programs and I thought I took this round more Serious but I feel like I already need to prepare for a third round! 

8 minutes ago, devpsych2020 said:

Ugh, I just don't understand why schools just can't notify rejections in timely manner...I thought we were throwing our hundreds of dollars into their pockets to pay for such "labor and service"?

Honestly this is so annoying! Last year I applied to Notre dame and I had to email them to find out my status 

1 hour ago, Schy said:

Honestly this is so annoying! Last year I applied to Notre dame and I had to email them to find out my status 

Ikr?! ? This is my first cycle and I would be sooo thrown off by a school if I had to reach out to the *adcom highness* that went MIA with my money and app materials made out of blood, sweat, and tears...

hiiiii i'm also SO stressed and no one is talking on my program's thread (IO) and there's only been a couple of updates about decisions on the results page (not from any schools i applied to) so all i'm hearing is crickets and i feel v v v alone right now.

to distract myself i've been working on some hard skills like learning R (hard) and my side business (blog / youtube)!

hope everyone has great plans for the holiday!

7 minutes ago, Psychological Yam said:

hiiiii i'm also SO stressed and no one is talking on my program's thread (IO) and there's only been a couple of updates about decisions on the results page (not from any schools i applied to) so all i'm hearing is crickets and i feel v v v alone right now.

to distract myself i've been working on some hard skills like learning R (hard) and my side business (blog / youtube)!

Can you link your YouTube or blog!!! I’m very interested in supporting a small youtuber! 

49 minutes ago, Psychological Yam said:

I'm on the same boat, I've heard nothing from almost all of the programs that I've applied to. My thread is also not as active as I would like it to be ?

I would also love to see your YouTube/blog, if you don't mind sharing with us! 

15 hours ago, psychologygeek said:

I had my first rejection of last cycle early in December (from Georgia) and it was very upsetting and I thought it was setting the tone for the rest of interview season. I’m now a first year at my 2nd choice so it all worked out! I guess I would just try to stay positive and I kept telling myself that the rejections were only making my path clearer. I ended up with two interviews to schools in my top 3 and I’m confident it worked out the way it was supposed to but that doesn’t mean I didn’t SOB when I got my first rejection. Hang in there!!! You got this. 

13 hours ago, Psychological Yam said:

Learning R is a great idea! It's a distraction and a great skill for the future. I know my R abilities have helped me thus far and will continue to serve me in the future.

I am 'tidy'-ing up my all of my cleaning/analysis scripts in the lab I manage in preparation for my successor!

12 hours ago, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

It’s my 3rd. Ugh

Something definitely has to be said for perseverance. Try and keep your head up! So many people would have given up by now and I think it takes a lot to keep trying. It shows everyone how serious you are 

I am SO sad to be told not going to get a formal on-site interview AFTER having a skype interview with the POI from my first choice program. It felt so close. Didn't feel it went bad at all but apparently that's just in my head. It's so hard not to think I singlehandedly  messed everything up. I would probably feel less terrible if never getting invited for a skype interview. I don't even know whether to apply for the same program next year. 

24 minutes ago, Psych1st said:

A mass email was sent to my top school according to the results page and now I'm very stressed that that means I'm out for that school. :(

I've also seen emails go out from two schools I was excited about, and also thought were "safety" schools, so I'm definitely feeling discouraged. Yuck. I was feeling so confident this round, too! 

1 minute ago, justacigar said:

I've also seen emails go out from two schools I was excited about, and also thought were "safety" schools, so I'm definitely feeling discouraged. Yuck. I was feeling so confident this round, too! 

Is a mass email kinda "one and done"? Like that's it?