Fall 2020 Statistics Applicant Thread

ENE1

21 hours ago, statapp said:

Any idea how the pandemic might impact fall admissions for international applicants. It is going to be really difficult to get visa by August. So can we expect the start of the program from spring semester or maybe even the admits being deferred by a year, or in the worst case admits being cancelled?

Last year my department has a decent amount of people just could not get visa at all because of sensitivity of stats, or STEM majors in general. They have been checked for months and the department gives them one year to get a visa. But this year there is pandemic, so I am not sure how it goes for those people. 

I am not sure about other departments, but I think people all understand the situation, but they gotta do what they gotta do. So far, from information I have got from a big-size stats department, they do not encourage me to go back to my home country due to the unclear situation. (Actually they called me and made sure I am currently in the US now). My friend (who's a CS major back in my home country and got into CS grad schools in the US) is also prepared to be deferred for a year. He said some early admits already got their I-20 and he have not got his yet. So he doubts if the school is putting delays on giving out I-20 due to current situation. 

Hi! I posted my predicament in another thread as well but i figured I would try here as well. I am currently deciding between Northwestern MSiA program, Duke's M.S. in Statistical Science, and Brown's Master in Data Science and was wondering if anyone has any input that would help make this decision easier. Some notes: My goal is to work in the industry after graduation as a data scientist or something along those lines and I did receive a 50% tuition remission from Duke. Thanks and good luck to everyone with their decisions!

On 3/17/2020 at 7:49 PM, Stochastics said:

Can I get thoughts on TAMU for someone interested in time series and applied probability? I could see myself dabbling in some Bayesian research as well. Most of the comments I've seen are about it's unfavorable location, which doesn't bother me much. The general conservative lean of the town doesn't really impact my decision either. I think it is a good research fit for me, but am nervous about its slight skid in the rankings from last time (which I know isn't the end all be all). I am interested in an academic job after I graduate. Any general comments would help.

Based on my visit and interviews with professors, I would think it's a pretty good place to be if you're interested in time series or Bayesian stats. It seems like there would be less opportunities to do applied probability, since that side of the department is rather small (from the impression Dr. Cline gave me). The students there seemed very happy and relaxed, so it seems like a good place to be. It's also a very well-established and renowned department, so I don't think you would have any issues if you are interested in academia. (I'm certainly no expert, but those are my thoughts.)

2 hours ago, AM61 said:

Based on my visit and interviews with professors, I would think it's a pretty good place to be if you're interested in time series or Bayesian stats. It seems like there would be less opportunities to do applied probability, since that side of the department is rather small (from the impression Dr. Cline gave me). The students there seemed very happy and relaxed, so it seems like a good place to be. It's also a very well-established and renowned department, so I don't think you would have any issues if you are interested in academia. (I'm certainly no expert, but those are my thoughts.)

Thanks! Unfortunately, my visit was canceled due to the virus, so it's nice to hear that the department seems like a good place to be. I'm between TAMU and Georgia Tech (Operations Research). It seems like for the former I would have the opportunity to continue research on a variety of the statistics topics I enjoy, while for the latter I would likely have to commit more towards my applied probability/stochastic process interests. 

On 3/19/2020 at 2:44 PM, captivatingCA said:

Since the application season is nearing the end for PhD applicants, are people interested in creating a results thread? I created last year's thread, and if there's enough interest I can go ahead and create this year's.

I think that would be great. Potentially we could get input on deciding between schools as well.

It sounds like many of you have been admitted to multiple amazing schools- congratulations!! That is such an incredible accomplishment! If you haven't already, would you please decline any offers that you know you won't be using as soon as you possibly can? :) I know some of us are still waiting on schools and it would make our lives just a bit easier. Thank you!! Good luck with your difficult decisions!

On 3/21/2020 at 5:15 PM, drmrpr said:

Emailed UNC STOR about my application status and was told I was high on the waitlist. Hopefully I'll get a little lucky :) Emailed UC Davis as well - they're still in the process of making decisions. 

Do you mind letting me know who you contacted? I email stor_grad_adm@unc.edu but never got a response...

Edit: I am asking about UNC contact

Edited by SomeNerd

While on the topic of UNC STOR, does anyone (perhaps a current student or a visit day attendee) know any more information about what the PhD looks like now that the statistics, operations research, and interdisciplinary degrees have merged into 1? I see the description online about the new course requirements, but it seems to refer to new classes that aren't listed. Course descriptions would be nice!

I tried emailing the department without hearing back, so any help is appreciated.

Has anyone been in touch with UCLA? Is it safe to assume rejection at this point? I don't see a lot of activity on the results page besides two acceptances a month ago.

I know Ohio is also known for sending acceptances very late in the game. Is there any point in e-mailing them? I would accept them over the current offers that I have and don't feel great about potentially keeping those offers hanging until mid-April.

18 hours ago, SomeNerd said:

Do you mind letting me know who you contacted? I email stor_grad_adm@unc.edu but never got a response...

Edit: I am asking about UNC contact

Try emailing Dr. Nilay. She told me I'm on the waitlist/not rejected as of yet, but my chances are slim (probably on the lower end of the waitlist). Gutted a bit.

Hello everyone.  Been stalking this thread for a while.  Everyone here is so impressive!  I applied to strictly MS biostatistics programs.  I’ve been rejected from most unsurprisingly (Harvard, JHU, Michigan, George Washington, Boston University).  I was accepted to Upitt with the Dean’s Scholarship (50% off tuition) and Ohio State.  Yesterday I received an email from Brown and was shocked that I was waitlisted (I assumed it would be a rejection).  They specifically said We will not respond to any status update requests before April 15th” but I was wondering if I should still email back expressing how interested I still am?  Also I have not heard back from Umass (and I’m in-state!) and Columbia.  I was wondering if people think this is a good or bad sign from Columbia...

Edited by NICE8x
Text Size

2 hours ago, NICE8x said:

Hello everyone.  Been stalking this thread for a while.  Everyone here is so impressive!  I applied to strictly MS biostatistics programs.  I’ve been rejected from most unsurprisingly (Harvard, JHU, Michigan, George Washington, Boston University).  I was accepted to Upitt with the Dean’s Scholarship (50% off tuition) and Ohio State.  Yesterday I received an email from Brown and was shocked that I was waitlisted (I assumed it would be a rejection).  They specifically said We will not respond to any status update requests before April 15th” but I was wondering if I should still email back expressing how interested I still am?  Also I have not heard back from Umass (and I’m in-state!) and Columbia.  I was wondering if people think this is a good or bad sign from Columbia...

Hi! I applied for the PhD Biostatistics program at Columbia and indicated that I wished to be considered for the Master's if I was not admitted to the PhD. Unfortunately I received a rejection yesterday. On another note, I was also admitted to the MS Biostatistics program at Pitt - congrats!

Hi everyone! I have been accepted to a few MS Biostatistics programs, but have also applied to jobs and am considering pursuing my MS part-time. Does anyone know if it is okay to put down deposits at multiple schools by the April 15th deadline, and then decide at a later date?

Hi everyone! I saw the some people got accepted or rejected (even wait-listed) from Iowa State. However, my portal still shows 'In review'. I was wondering if I should consider this as a rejection or wait-list? I reached out to the graduate secretary and haven't heard back anything yet. 

5 hours ago, AC1 said:

Hi everyone! I saw the some people got accepted or rejected (even wait-listed) from Iowa State. However, my portal still shows 'In review'. I was wondering if I should consider this as a rejection or wait-list? I reached out to the graduate secretary and haven't heard back anything yet. 

I think you should consider it a waitlist. I will turn down my offer soon™ so just hang tight.

Were any of the people here in grad school during the 2008 crash? I'd heard anecdotal stories of students being asked to self-fund, and am curious is there truth to that. More relevantly, if those concerns are applicable amid the crisis now.

I'm trying to decide between Yale (MS Statistics & Data Science) and NYU (MS Applied Statistics for Social Science Research). There's very little talk on here about either program. I'm planning to work in industry afterwards, not pursue a PhD. Anyone else considering either of these schools? What are your thoughts on them?

Edited by decisions-decisions

9 hours ago, decisions-decisions said:

I'm trying to decide between Yale (MS Statistics & Data Science) and NYU (MS Applied Statistics for Social Science Research). There's very little talk on here about either program. I'm planning to work in industry afterwards, not pursue a PhD. Anyone else considering either of these schools? What are your thoughts on them?

Hey I have been accepted to NYU's MS Applied Statistics for Social Science Research too. I've also been accepted to UChicago MPP, Georgetown DSPP and Duke MIDS.

I have not been able to find a lot of data on the kind of internships/ jobs students end up taking after A3SR. The faculty, though, seems very knowledgable and qualified to me. I am looking to make a career in public policy after graduation and since A3SR is offered by NYU's education school, I am a little skeptical about its fit. Although, I was told by one of the profs I know (Distinguished career prof at CMU) that NYU has an excellent reputation in the social sciences. 

What are your thoughts?

Would really appreciate if anyone, who has any pointers on the above courses, can let us know their thoughts. I have been pondering over my admits for the past 1 week now and have reached no decision. Is there any particular reason that people don't consider NYU's stats program when applying to MS statistics programs.

Edited by su1234