Comparative Literature 2020

30 minutes ago, blancacastillo said:

Congrats! Do you happen to know whether all acceptances have been sent out?

Thank you! I don't know whether all acceptances have been sent out. The notification message was very, very brief

Is there anyone who is an international student and got responses about their application of Comparative Literature departments at Indiana and Oregon? I didn't and I'm nervous, I'm wondering if is there any. I also didn't get any news from PennState but I think people did as I can see in the board so PennState is implied rejection it seems. I don't want to e-mail them and find out I'm rejected. ? 

On 2/6/2020 at 5:04 PM, EM51413 said:

My interviewers said the decisions are being made soon and will go out in a week or two (bureaucratic stuff blablabla), so it doesn't sound like a second round is happening, but I may be wrong.

I'm in the same boat as you are, though I'm taking that as a rejection at this point.

Have you heard back from Penn after the interview? 

Hi! Another international student here. I applied to Comp Lit PhDs at NYU, Princeton and Columbia. I haven't heard a single word from any of these schools. I saw the one person who said they an acceptance from Princeton a while back, and I think someone got an interview invitation from Columbia. No one said anything about NYU this year but it seems like they sent out results by this time in the years before. Does anybody have any other information about these schools. I don't want to lose all hope so please someone tell me I still have a chance! 

Do you think emailing schools asking about the results could affect the results in any way?  

25 minutes ago, AnneElliot said:

Hi! Another international student here. I applied to Comp Lit PhDs at NYU, Princeton and Columbia. I haven't heard a single word from any of these schools. I saw the one person who said they an acceptance from Princeton a while back, and I think someone got an interview invitation from Columbia. No one said anything about NYU this year but it seems like they sent out results by this time in the years before. Does anybody have any other information about these schools. I don't want to lose all hope so please someone tell me I still have a chance! 

Do you think emailing schools asking about the results could affect the results in any way?  

Not sure quite -how- connected the admissions process is between the English and Comp. Lit. departments is at Columbia but my guess is that they release their decisions around the same time (their English program for sure usually notifies around this week historically). I also applied to Princeton and am a little skeptical of the acceptance on the board but regardless, it looks like the rejections typically come around this week as well. I didn't apply to NYU so I can't speak to when they release their picks but I hope that this helps console you a bit! Hopefully we both hear good news from these programs this week :)

1 hour ago, theatergeek said:

I feel like everyone is expecting the rejection. According to recent years, they should be notifying this week. Good luck!

I know. Statistically, it's an inevitability. Same to you!

6 hours ago, theatergeek said:

anyone else anxiously waiting for MTL's results?

4 hours ago, Straparlare said:

Modern Thought and Lit? Yeah, even though I'm expecting a rejection.

I'm waiting as well. It's one of my top programs, but the acceptance rate is so low. Not feeling to optimistic unfortunately. 

Edited by ashwel11

I'm in kind of a weird position... I went into undergrad wanting to major in economics, and will be since I'm so far into the program, but lots of things have changed (especially academically) and now I really want to apply to comp lit graduate schools. I could still fit a minor in by the time I graduate--is this really needed? Should I just take a bunch of literature/language courses? What do you guys think?

The rest of my application is pretty strong, in my opinion. 

12 minutes ago, Kapol-in said:

I'm in kind of a weird position... I went into undergrad wanting to major in economics, and will be since I'm so far into the program, but lots of things have changed (especially academically) and now I really want to apply to comp lit graduate schools. I could still fit a minor in by the time I graduate--is this really needed? Should I just take a bunch of literature/language courses? What do you guys think?

The rest of my application is pretty strong, in my opinion. 

As someone who majored in literature, I wouldn't begin to know. But having a strong background in languages is key without a literature background and a few literature classes on a transcript will definitely not be a bad thing. If you can do a minor, I think you should, but really need? Eh?

21 minutes ago, Straparlare said:

As someone who majored in literature, I wouldn't begin to know. But having a strong background in languages is key without a literature background and a few literature classes on a transcript will definitely not be a bad thing. If you can do a minor, I think you should, but really need? Eh?

My school, to my luck, just recently stopped doing the Comparative Lit program, that means no minor or majors in that program until further notice... I could always take Spanish lit class or Japanese lit classes which interest me but I really don't know if it would be the best, especially since it would be iffy if I would get an actual title (minor) in those studies. 

23 minutes ago, Kapol-in said:

My school, to my luck, just recently stopped doing the Comparative Lit program, that means no minor or majors in that program until further notice... I could always take Spanish lit class or Japanese lit classes which interest me but I really don't know if it would be the best, especially since it would be iffy if I would get an actual title (minor) in those studies. 

I mean, you don't need to minor in them. But if you could, why wouldn't you? But taking any kind of language or foreign literature class will definitely help