Comparative Literature 2020

1 hour ago, blancacastillo said:

I was wondering the same thing, about the yale interviews. I have emailed the graduate coordinator to ask if all have been sent out already.

Thanks for emailing — keep us posted!

I have taken the terrible decision of only applying to two major universities - not out of presumption, rather because there were not other programs which reflected my interests as much - and now I'm regretting it big time, as I fear both will turn me down. Do you guys know whether there are any late deadlines or spring admissions that I could lean on?

One of my MA cohorts was contacted by Yale coordinator around the same time. (Actually not sure if the result page one was her or not.) She applied to Complit + Film Studies though. They might have a different timetable than pure Complit?

26 minutes ago, ztshin said:

One of my MA cohorts was contacted by Yale coordinator around the same time. (Actually not sure if the result page one was her or not.) She applied to Complit + Film Studies though. They might have a different timetable than pure Complit?

Wonderful info, @ztshin! Anyone want to claim that interview on the results board? ?

do programs usually send out all of their interview invites in one batch? or do they sometimes do two waves of invites and/or acceptances? if we see that a bunch of people have been invited for interviews at one program, does that tend to me the program has finished reviewing and those who did not receive an invitation are out of the running at that point?

6 hours ago, Volodine1 said:

do programs usually send out all of their interview invites in one batch? or do they sometimes do two waves of invites and/or acceptances? if we see that a bunch of people have been invited for interviews at one program, does that tend to me the program has finished reviewing and those who did not receive an invitation are out of the running at that point?

I think it depends on the program. I know UPenn's Comp. Lit. program did two rounds last year but I think most have like one big round of interviews? Maybe call their office tomorrow and ask or see if someone on here has any info to the school in particular that you're worried about

15 hours ago, Rrandle101 said:

I think it depends on the program. I know UPenn's Comp. Lit. program did two rounds last year but I think most have like one big round of interviews? Maybe call their office tomorrow and ask or see if someone on here has any info to the school in particular that you're worried about

thanks for the sensible input. i am reluctant to call or email at what must be a very busy time. but knowing that a program might take like 3 people and that it has invited 5 to interviews -- that we know about!-- tells me they are probably done ... unless they are doing two rounds and winnowing down heavily from the interview stage.would suck to get an interview and not get in! 

On 1/21/2020 at 7:27 AM, caeiro said:

Wonderful info, @ztshin! Anyone want to claim that interview on the results board? ?

I'm the Yale interviewee! Got the email on the 15th (for the pure comp lit program), and the interview is happening next week (because I'm traveling a lot these two weeks). The coordinator sounds a little burnt out in our exchanges so that might be why no one has replied to @blancacastillo's email inquiries. It's my dream program and my dream POI will be doing the interview, so the anxiety is unreal....

2 hours ago, EM51413 said:

I'm the Yale interviewee! Got the email on the 15th (for the pure comp lit program), and the interview is happening next week (because I'm traveling a lot these two weeks). The coordinator sounds a little burnt out in our exchanges so that might be why no one has replied to @blancacastillo's email inquiries. It's my dream program and my dream POI will be doing the interview, so the anxiety is unreal....

Congratulations, and thanks for the update!  It is indeed a great program. Fingers crossed for your interview! 

The consensus is that Yale CPLT interviews all eventual admits, correct?  And that invites to interview typically go out within a few days of one another? Trying to recalibrate expectations. 

17 hours ago, Volodine1 said:

Congrats! Anyone know when cuny and columbia make their decisions? Thanks and good luck everyone! 

Columbia gets back mid-Feb, something around 15th to 25th, going by Gradcafe result trends. I've applied to the ICLS track too, all the best! :)

1 hour ago, olivetree said:

CUNY seems to notify of acceptances in early-mid February (from the 4th to the 13th-ish, judging by past GradCafe results)

thanks Olivetree - seems like that early to mid February will be an exciting time for many of us .....

19 hours ago, pdh12 said:

Hey! Anyone here the Stanford interviewee on the results page? good luck!

It's me! And thanks! 

17 minutes ago, caeiro said:

Not sure how to read my interviews — definitely could have prepared better answers, but faculty seemed pretty friendly. Hard to know how decisive a factor these will be in the admissions process.  

Agreed...Had my Duke interview yesterday and it was definitely something like an exam...penetrating and scholarly questions, not just "getting to know you better" or clarifications of application materials. I'm just gonna (try to!) forget about it and wait for the decisions.