Comparative Literature 2020

Hello! I thought I would start a new topic discussion since I haven't seen any group created for Comp. Literature. 

What are your research interests? How many programs did you apply to this season? Have you started to hear back from them? 

Edited by theatergeek

3 hours ago, theatergeek said:

Hello! I thought I would start a new topic discussion since I haven't seen any group created for Comp. Literature. 

What are your research interests? How many programs did you apply to this season? Have you started to hear back from them? 

I was thinking the same thing! I applied to a mix of Comp. Lit. and English PhD programs for this cycle because I wasn't sure where my 'academic home' really is with what I want to do. My research interest specifically is classical reception in the medieval period with respect to texts that touch on heroism and if women/religious or ethnic minorities/people with disabilities/etc could be displayed as heroic, and if so how (My writing sample/honors thesis was about female agency/efficacy and the downfall of Dido in various Middle English adaptations of her story). For Comparative Literature I applied to UPenn, Princeton, Cornell, and Indiana. I have not heard back from any but I think that's normal for these places with how early it is, my guess looking at past result boards is that Indiana will reply back first when people get in or UPenn will for their interview notifications in early February-ish. What are you set on studying in grad school/where did you apply? Best of luck to all applying this cycle!

here’s a question! is anyone out there from last year’s stanford havoc? did you take the free re-apply offer? curious to find out how it all goes down this year. good luck if so!

13 hours ago, theatergeek said:

What are your research interests? How many programs did you apply to this season? 

Hi there! I'm focusing on Russian and German literature (if my username didn't give part of that away), and I applied to nine M.A. programs for the 2020 cycle. Good luck to all of you!

7 hours ago, pdh12 said:

is anyone out there from last year’s stanford havoc? 

Now I'm curious -- what happened at Stanford last year?

Hi, fellow Comp Lit-ers! I'm interested in the intersection between Ancient Greek tragedy (especially female tragic figures) and postcolonial literature of the African diaspora (in English, French, and Italian). I applied to six schools and am not expecting to start hearing back until early-mid February. Wishing everyone the best of luck!

On 1/9/2020 at 9:57 PM, RaskolnikovsConscience said:

Now I'm curious -- what happened at Stanford last year?

While some people were outright rejected, others got emails encouraging them to have their application materials forwarded to the next cycle (for free), because they ended up accepting 0 new students......thickly plot, eh?

Just now, pdh12 said:

While some people were outright rejected, others got emails encouraging them to have their application materials forwarded to the next cycle (for free), because they ended up accepting 0 new students......thickly plot, eh?

Oh jeez... Well, it's a nice gesture to not have applicants pay for the next cycle! This whole process, as everyone here knows, gets really expensive. I don't feel that I would qualify to have my application fees waived, so the past few months have been stressful in that regard. For whatever reason, though, Dartmouth decided to waive it without me asking. I have no clue why, but I'm not complaining!

Poking in here to say hello--I'm mainly applying to English lit PhDs, but I did apply to Duke's GPL rather than their English program. 

It looks from past years' gradcafe results that Duke flies folks out at the end of February, but I'm not sure based on the results and Duke's FAQ whether this is for a second round of interviews or if it's an accepted students visit. (Or, frankly, if "invited for a campus visit" means that they pay for travel and accommodation or not.) Does anyone happen to have more info about this from past cycles? I'm sure all would be revealed to me if my application makes the cut for the interview process, but naturally, this waiting game just makes me want to find any additional info that I can about what could be ahead. 

@caffeinated applicant I'm applying to Duke's Literature program too!

My guess (probably based on the same info you have) is that they have two rounds of interviews: one short phone interview (notifs go out in late January) and those who make it through are invited (notifs go out about a week or two after the first one) for a second-round interview on campus. The second round sounds a lot more like recruitment than interview, but I guess some final decisions are made there. 

I think "invited for a campus visit" in this context usually means travel and accommodation (and meals) are payed for - that seems to be the case for the Emory recruitment/interview weekend, anyway.

10 hours ago, EM51413 said:

Anyone know if Chicago has sent out their interview invitations yet?

It doesn't seem so. Haven't seen any on the results page nor in the threads yet.

15 hours ago, EM51413 said:

Anyone know if Chicago has sent out their interview invitations yet?

They sent out emails requesting skype interview availability for *possible* interviews, noting that not everyone would get an interview despite receiving the email request

6 hours ago, anglolatinkat said:

They sent out emails requesting skype interview availability for *possible* interviews, noting that not everyone would get an interview despite receiving the email request

I thought that was for their English program?

8 hours ago, EM51413 said:

I thought that was for their English program?

Ah yes, you’re right—but a friend of mine who applied complit told me she got a similar email about possible interview next week

On 1/9/2020 at 5:14 AM, theatergeek said:

What are your research interests?

As my username alludes to, I am interested in studying Arabic and Chinese literature. Especially fantasy, scifi and folklore written in these languages.

How many programs did you apply to this season?

In total, 6

Have you started to hear back from them? 

Most of my programs have deadlines in January with a couple being in February, so not yet. I did, however, have one school tell me that decisions will be made by late February so fingers crossed. 

18 hours ago, Djinns&Dragons said:

As my username alludes to, I am interested in studying Arabic and Chinese literature. Especially fantasy, scifi and folklore written in these languages.

That sounds so cool!

On 1/16/2020 at 9:57 PM, anglolatinkat said:

Sorry for going off topic for just a sec, but @anglolatinkatdo you think/know whether the people who didn't even receive that email are no longer in the running at all? **Thanks!

1 hour ago, Emailchecker said:

Sorry for going off topic for just a sec, but @anglolatinkatdo you think/know whether the people who didn't even receive that email are no longer in the running at all? **Thanks!

I don't know the procedure for complit, but the consensus for English seems to be that anyone admitted in recent years has been interviewed.