Applying to NPSIA - MUNK - Fall 2020

Hello friends,

Need some help. I am a Canadian PR from India. I have a BBA and an MBA, with a journalism experience of nearly eight years now. My UG score was low (66%) but my MBA score was competitive, 8.34, and I got a PG Diploma as well, in which I scored A-. I have applied to the Munk School, the UBC, Ottawa and Carleton this year. Could you please help me by telling me if I have a chance of getting selected into any of them? Also, could you please tell me the selection criteria - are these universities very particular about the students having high UG scores or will they also consider my PG scores. Please help me - I am a little anxious as I have invested a lot in the application process and would be extremely disappointed if I don't get into any of them. I would be helped if I can get a quick response

19 hours ago, Hawkmoon said:

Accepted to LSE??   NICE!    I was seriously considering  the Masters in International Security Studies however NPSIA was the only programme I applied for.  I don't think my wife would let me go to the Czech Republic for two years without her even tho funding is pretty generous in most European countries...  lol

Haha i guess she has a point, i was also interested in other international masters but figured a Canadian school will present more opportunities to work in the Canadian government

16 hours ago, theGoodGhosts said:

Can't answer for fall/winter classes, but I took the 1.0 credit ECON 1000 class (which has since been split into the 0.5 credit ECON 1001 and 1002) a couple summers ago while working full time and doing other classes. It was super easy.

Same here.  Did the 1001 and 1002 last summer.  First Econ courses i ever did but they were good and Prof Joseph was awesome... 

2 hours ago, KW77 said:

Haha i guess she has a point, i was also interested in other international masters but figured a Canadian school will present more opportunities to work in the Canadian government

Yeah I know...  but still it's Prague... one of the cities on my bucket list... haha

3 hours ago, Hawkmoon said:

Yeah I know...  but still it's Prague... one of the cities on my bucket list... haha

haha fair enough, it is a beautiful city no doubt!

Hey all, just looping myself in now. I'm also at the anxious "recommended for assessment" stage, and I have to say it's a little more daunting after seeing some of the credentials being thrown around in here. It's fair to say everyone in here is certainly talented enough for NPSIA. 

My background is pretty solid, and my application went well enough. I submitted way back in September just because I want this so badly. 

What are some of your dream jobs you are hoping to get after NPSIA?

Cheers

45 minutes ago, IR_Fan said:

Hey all, just looping myself in now. I'm also at the anxious "recommended for assessment" stage, and I have to say it's a little more daunting after seeing some of the credentials being thrown around in here. It's fair to say everyone in here is certainly talented enough for NPSIA. 

My background is pretty solid, and my application went well enough. I submitted way back in September just because I want this so badly. 

What are some of your dream jobs you are hoping to get after NPSIA?

Cheers

Do you know when your status moved to recommended for assessment? I'm still at review in progress (but I finished my application 31 January).

31 minutes ago, ah_097 said:

Do you know when your status moved to recommended for assessment? I'm still at review in progress (but I finished my application 31 January).

Mine changed status back in January if I recall correctly. I really have no idea how their process works and if they start with people who submitted earlier or what. 

I checked my Carleton status yesterday and it now shows 'Review in progress by department'. I believe this is the second stage, as per the university's website. Could I take it as evidence that my application is still being considered for selection? Also, how much time does it take for a final decision to be made?

2 hours ago, HN19 said:

I checked my Carleton status yesterday and it now shows 'Review in progress by department'. I believe this is the second stage, as per the university's website. Could I take it as evidence that my application is still being considered for selection? Also, how much time does it take for a final decision to be made?

There are two reviews that get done. The first one (the stage you're at) is the review by the department itself. If you make it past that preliminary review, they kick your application up to the faculty of grad affairs, who do a more thorough review. When your application reaches that stage, you'll get the "recommended for assessment" status that a number of us have been kvetching about. Some applicants have been stuck there for about a month, which makes sense, as it's a bottleneck in the process (since presumably all of the grad applications to Carleton have to go through the grad faculty).

Basically, this is the first point at which anyone at Carleton is getting a chance to look at your application.

32 minutes ago, theGoodGhosts said:

There are two reviews that get done. The first one (the stage you're at) is the review by the department itself. If you make it past that preliminary review, they kick your application up to the faculty of grad affairs, who do a more thorough review. When your application reaches that stage, you'll get the "recommended for assessment" status that a number of us have been kvetching about. Some applicants have been stuck there for about a month, which makes sense, as it's a bottleneck in the process (since presumably all of the grad applications to Carleton have to go through the grad faculty).

Basically, this is the first point at which anyone at Carleton is getting a chance to look at your application.

i had been at "recommended for assessment" for more than a month and it changed to "review in progress" last night. based on previous years' forums, some people get in first round without ever moving to "review in progress," so i don't think npsia is super consistent with updating everyone's applications. i guess we will see soon!

7 minutes ago, martlets said:

i had been at "recommended for assessment" for more than a month and it changed to "review in progress" last night. based on previous years' forums, some people get in first round without ever moving to "review in progress," so i don't think npsia is super consistent with updating everyone's applications. i guess we will see soon!

Does it show as "Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs"?

17 hours ago, ah_097 said:

I believe mine was about three weeks ago now.  I applied in Nov but my last recommendation was  on Jan 12th so I'm not expecting a reply until the 2nd week of March.     

1 hour ago, martlets said:

no, review by department! it had been at recommended for assessment for almost a month before it changed last night.

Weird - mine just moved from review in progress by department to recommended for assessment today.

1 hour ago, martlets said:

no, review by department! it had been at recommended for assessment for almost a month before it changed last night.

Looking at last year's NPSIA/GSPIA thread, it looks like there's a good chance you'll get some news soon!

5 hours ago, theGoodGhosts said:

Thank you for the information. So, I believe the final decision gets made by the end of March?

18 minutes ago, HN19 said:

Thank you for the information. So, I believe the final decision gets made by the end of March?

Not sure. Based on previous years, it looks like there's usually an initial round of offers right around the end of February/beginning of March, and a later slow trickle of offers that can last into May/June, and is based on the number of spaces still available and the number of admission offers that get declined by applicants.

1 minute ago, theGoodGhosts said:

Not sure. Based on previous years, it looks like there's usually an initial round of offers right around the end of February/beginning of March, and a later slow trickle of offers that can last into May/June, and is based on the number of spaces still available and the number of admission offers that get declined by applicants.

Alright. Will keep that in mind. Keeping my fingers crossed. What is the total intake usually at NPSIA?

17 minutes ago, HN19 said:

Alright. Will keep that in mind. Keeping my fingers crossed. What is the total intake usually at NPSIA?

It looks like ~100 students graduate the program every year, so I suppose intake would be at least 100/year.

Does anyone know any major comparable differences between GSPIA and Munk? I was recently admitted into GSPIA (without any scholarship money which was a shock), and I'm a bit uncertain as to what the better school is. I'm coming from Manitoba so the expenses of living are a factor, but job prospects for both schools are also a concern!