Applying to NPSIA - MUNK - Fall 2020

1 minute ago, theGoodGhosts said:

Intelligence and International Affairs is also an IPIS elective (cross-listed as IPIS 5303), so some of the spots may have been taken by students either doing MIPIS or the IPIS graduate diploma.

I figured they have spots reserved for both. Considering how much emphasis they were putting on taking things in your specialty I find this ironic 

Ooh, a new class has appeared in Carleton Central! INAF 5409: "Turkish Foregin [sic] Policy"

Jesus... talk about niche...

Or was it always there, and my mind just blanked it out?

Edited by theGoodGhosts

4 minutes ago, theGoodGhosts said:

Ooh, a new class has appeared in Carleton Central! INAF 5409: "Turkish Foregin [sic] Policy"

I think I saw it before - but I don't know if it was couple of days ago or couple of weeks ago

Also - I guess that would be diplomatic specialty that already has like7 courses to choose from

Edited by ElleG

Just now, theGoodGhosts said:

I'm honestly tempted to take it, just because it's at a good time.

I mean it looks... specific. What are you enrolled in now?

Hi all. 

Long time lurker here. I just want to thank everyone for their input over the months. It has been a great help for me and many others I'm sure. 

I got my acceptance to NPSIA back in March/April and am still stoked. 

I got admitted to the Conflict Resolution and Analysis field, which was my first choice, but I've had a change of heart since. I am now hoping to switch into DFP. I was able to enroll in DFP courses after July 10, but am still unable to register into the econ courses for that field. I'm curious, did anyone successfully enroll in an econ course outside their field?

I was shocked to see that a lot of the courses that I had my eyes on were filled up before I could even register. By reading the comments here, it seems that some had earlier time tickets than others. 

I am currently located in Waterloo, ON and was looking forward to relocate to Ottawa. That's obviously been put on hold for the fall, and judging by today's email, for the winter as well. I am wondering what your relocation plans are or how many of you chose to move to Ottawa, regardless of the situation. 

Hope to meet you all soon! 

29 minutes ago, theGoodGhosts said:

I'm honestly tempted to take it, just because it's at a good time.

You will anyway have at least one elective by the time you graduate. If that course seems interesting to you, then I would recommend you take it! 

18 hours ago, theGoodGhosts said:

Cornering the niche Turkish market since 1908...   It's been there since last week, if it had been about the Syrian War or something similar I  would have considered it. 

19 hours ago, theGoodGhosts said:

Intelligence and International Affairs is also an IPIS elective (cross-listed as IPIS 5303), so some of the spots may have been taken by students either doing MIPIS or the IPIS graduate diploma.

Like Elle said I assumed ( ...And we all know what happens when you assume something...) that since IPIS  shared some of the courses NPSIA would ensure that there would be enough seats that both sections got access.  

I see that NPSIA Students Assoc. had a blurb on FB that many students over enrolled.  Possibly that is what happened...   Who knows?!   <shrug>

Edited by Hawkmoon
Too many ensure's

On 7/14/2020 at 6:23 PM, MM_FF said:

Hi all. 

Long time lurker here. I just want to thank everyone for their input over the months. It has been a great help for me and many others I'm sure. 

I got admitted to the Conflict Resolution and Analysis field, which was my first choice, but I've had a change of heart since. I am now hoping to switch into DFP. I was able to enroll in DFP courses after July 10, but am still unable to register into the econ courses for that field. I'm curious, did anyone successfully enroll in an econ course outside their field?

I was shocked to see that a lot of the courses that I had my eyes on were filled up before I could even register. By reading the comments here, it seems that some had earlier time tickets than others. 

I am currently located in Waterloo, ON and was looking forward to relocate to Ottawa. That's obviously been put on hold for the fall, and judging by today's email, for the winter as well. I am wondering what your relocation plans are or how many of you chose to move to Ottawa, regardless of the situation. 

you're not permitted to take the econ course outside your specialization just as a heads up. It's a shame, some other streams have much more preferable econ classes!

On 7/14/2020 at 6:23 PM, MM_FF said:

Hi all. 

Irnerd is right, But maybe you could email Kailey - let her know you are interested in switching she may be able yo help you take a different econ course

Is anyone doing a TA'ship? I still haven't heard anything or have any assignments in my Carleton Central. Does anyone know anything about what that process looks like? 

2 hours ago, IR_Fan said:

Is anyone doing a TA'ship? I still haven't heard anything or have any assignments in my Carleton Central. Does anyone know anything about what that process looks like? 

I don't have any assigments - I asked the department about that but they never got back to me. I am considering but probably not, I don't know if I'd wanna TA a distance-ed course

5 hours ago, IR_Fan said:

nothing yet for me either...

Edited by irnerd

Sooo any one hear anything back regarding the Override requests??  All I received back was a note advising if space opened up they would reconsider.  Did manage to register for  5410 Canada in INTL Affairs tho.  

And if anyone is in Ottawa and would like to meet for coffee drop me a pm. 

21 minutes ago, Hawkmoon said:

Sooo any one hear anything back regarding the Override requests??  All I received back was a note advising if space opened up they would reconsider.  Did manage to register for  5410 Canada in INTL Affairs tho.  

I got an automated email saying I could register in 5244. The email indicated I had one day to do so, or they would move on down the list.

18 minutes ago, ah_097 said:

I got an automated email saying I could register in 5244. The email indicated I had one day to do so, or they would move on down the list.

So there is movement!  Glad to know you were able to get in one of them anyway.  

On 7/23/2020 at 10:36 AM, Hawkmoon said:

I'm also very down to grab a coffee with anybody in Ottawa. It would be nice to meet some other people in the program! Just DM as well. 

On 7/23/2020 at 11:01 AM, ah_097 said:

I got an email saying I was denied - as the course is full. That's so odd!

1 hour ago, ElleG said:

I got an email saying I was denied - as the course is full. That's so odd!

Same here.  I'm guessing that someone dropped out and opened up a spot...

Edited by Hawkmoon

On 2/29/2020 at 7:10 PM, Liv297 said:

Hey, for anyone who's going to be attending NPSIA, there's a class of 2022 Facebook group up and running! Link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/604730833706318/

-  The NPSIA Student Association

i'm aware current students might be able to better answer this. i was just wondering - do you know if the Oct deadline for completing the introductory econ classes is a hard deadline? and what happens if someone doesn't meet the cut off grade? will they have to retake the course? 

On 7/30/2020 at 7:05 PM, irnerd said:

i'm aware current students might be able to better answer this. i was just wondering - do you know if the Oct deadline for completing the introductory econ classes is a hard deadline? and what happens if someone doesn't meet the cut off grade? will they have to retake the course? 

I recall reading an email earlier this year that specified they would be more "sympathetic" to final econ grades in light of the current situation. Don't quote me on that though. I really don't know what that would mean in a practical sense. 

14 hours ago, IR_Fan said:

I recall reading an email earlier this year that specified they would be more "sympathetic" to final econ grades in light of the current situation. Don't quote me on that though. I really don't know what that would mean in a practical sense. 

really? interesting to hear.... i've been working full time (planning on quitting when the semester starts) and doing the courses; not really an excuse, and I'm sure others are managing fine, but have found it quite hard in the current circumstances to do as well as i usually might have.

On 8/2/2020 at 3:21 AM, irnerd said:

really? interesting to hear.... i've been working full time (planning on quitting when the semester starts) and doing the courses; not really an excuse, and I'm sure others are managing fine, but have found it quite hard in the current circumstances to do as well as i usually might have.

Where are you doing the class? Is it through Carleton? Or did you take the one at Athabasca?