Applying to NPSIA - MUNK - Fall 2020

8 hours ago, Potter445 said:

Oh right, that makes sense! But how would I know who my supervisor is? ?

Also out of curiosity, what made you reconsider the TAship? 

I was originally thinking of leaving my job, which would have given me time to TA. The whole COVID crisis convinced me I'd be dumb to quit a government, and work is letting me do part-time instead for the duration of school (which means I keep accruing years of service, and don't give up the 7.5 years I've racked up so far). It'll probably be more stressful than TAing, but it's also way more money than Carleton was offering me for a TAship.

As for the supervisor... I really don't know. I'm guessing you'd have to get that info from the department.

On 5/14/2020 at 12:42 AM, theGoodGhosts said:

I was originally thinking of leaving my job, which would have given me time to TA. The whole COVID crisis convinced me I'd be dumb to quit a government, and work is letting me do part-time instead for the duration of school (which means I keep accruing years of service, and don't give up the 7.5 years I've racked up so far). It'll probably be more stressful than TAing, but it's also way more money than Carleton was offering me for a TAship.

As for the supervisor... I really don't know. I'm guessing you'd have to get that info from the department.

i feel the same way as you...i also have a govt job, which i was ok with leaving just a few months ago when i thought i'd being moving to ottawa and would be studying full time/TA-ing under normal circumstances (i was also really looking forward to the co-op/internship opportunities in ncr).

but the whole pandemic has made me very reluctant to give up a stable job. it's also great your workplace is also allowing you to reduce your hours, i personally don't have this option, although i'm hoping that part-time studies at npsia might be allowed (i've read its quite rare). 

Edited by irnerd

1 hour ago, irnerd said:

i feel the same way as you...i also have a govt job, which i was ok with leaving just a few months ago when i thought i'd being moving to ottawa and would be studying full time/TA-ing under normal circumstances (i was also really looking forward to the co-op/internship opportunities in ncr).

but the whole pandemic has made me very reluctant to give up a stable job. it's also great your workplace is also allowing you to reduce your hours, i personally don't have this option, although i'm hoping that part-time studies at npsia might be allowed (i've read its quite rare). 

The orientation powerpoint from 2018 (on page 24) says that you can only change from full- to part-time under "exceptional circumstances." I think there's an argument to be made that the present circumstances as "exceptional."

5 hours ago, theGoodGhosts said:

The orientation powerpoint from 2018 (on page 24) says that you can only change from full- to part-time under "exceptional circumstances." I think there's an argument to be made that the present circumstances as "exceptional."

thanks for the link, im still mulling it over but might plead my case - especially if classes for 2020 remain online :)

How many of you are still moving to Ottawa? I'm still going, as I'd like to be near campus in the event that courses are online and I need to meet with anybody or do things in person (if possible). Also hoping that I can still find a Co-op next summer in Ottawa. Anyone else thinking similarly? 

On 5/14/2020 at 12:42 AM, theGoodGhosts said:

Makes sense.  I've only been working casual contracts with the Feds so I'll probably be looking at a TAship or part time as I doubt very much if I will get any OSAP grants or loans.

14 hours ago, Potter445 said:

Hey, 

has anyone received any updates from NPSIA? Like how to register and stuff?

Nothing yet.  From what I've read on forums, registration usually doesn't start until July but that schedule has probably been changed. 

Hi, I'm an undergrad wondering how funding works for these grad schools usually - is it random based on the strength of your personal statement? You can get some funding or none at all?

May I also ask what is a good enough average to get into these schools especially programs like NPSIA? Is it normally based on a 4 point gpa scale? Are B gpa's ever accepted? Do schools really focus on last 2 years of school or 10 credits or cumulative more in your experience? Thank you!

19 hours ago, readingangel said:

Hi, I'm an undergrad wondering how funding works for these grad schools usually - is it random based on the strength of your personal statement? You can get some funding or none at all?

May I also ask what is a good enough average to get into these schools especially programs like NPSIA? Is it normally based on a 4 point gpa scale? Are B gpa's ever accepted? Do schools really focus on last 2 years of school or 10 credits or cumulative more in your experience? Thank you!

Read the program website, all of your questions answers are on there.

On 5/24/2020 at 4:58 PM, Potter445 said:

Hey, 

has anyone received any updates from NPSIA? Like how to register and stuff?

NPSIA will be releasing the Fall timetable on 8 June (so you can see what time classes are at). I emailed and NPSIA confirmed all of its classes will be online, either synchronous or asynchronous (up to the instructor). Registration for courses opens on 3 July for new graduate students.

Well this is it; just received an email (orientation package) from NPSIA saying the fall term ll be delivered entirely online...was so looking forward to meeting u guys this year ? hopefully things get better next year so we all can finally meet in person in classes!

Edited by rkb

PSA for NPSIAns: If you go into Carleton Central, into "Build your Timetable/Registration", you can see what courses are on offer this fall by right clicking on the term drop-down menu, using "inspect element", and changing the "option value" from "202020" to "202030" (see the attached pics). You can also change that value to "202110" to see the classes on offer next winter.

(Note, this isn't my trick... I found it here on the Carleton subreddit)

374485922_ScreenShot2020-06-02at5_01_21PM.png.5779a518391310a056980ac10741968f.png

1216986980_ScreenShot2020-06-02at5_01_33PM.png.45c11115ea088365d2b376b8cbbe4aa9.png

1 hour ago, theGoodGhosts said:

PSA for NPSIAns: If you go into Carleton Central, into "Build your Timetable/Registration", you can see what courses are on offer this fall by right clicking on the term drop-down menu, using "inspect element", and changing the "option value" from "202020" to "202030" (see the attached pics). You can also change that value to "202110" to see the classes on offer next winter.

(Note, this isn't my trick... I found it here on the Carleton subreddit)

374485922_ScreenShot2020-06-02at5_01_21PM.png.5779a518391310a056980ac10741968f.png

1216986980_ScreenShot2020-06-02at5_01_33PM.png.45c11115ea088365d2b376b8cbbe4aa9.png

Nice!  Well done!

On 5/29/2020 at 4:10 PM, rkb said:

Well this is it; just received an email (orientation package) from NPSIA saying the fall term ll be delivered entirely online...was so looking forward to meeting u guys this year ? hopefully things get better next year so we all can finally meet in person in classes!

i got an email today about webinars for incoming students but never got the orientation package...feel like it's been pretty dead silent from NPSIA. and yeah - definitely such a shame :( although necessary 

On 5/29/2020 at 12:42 PM, ah_097 said:

NPSIA will be releasing the Fall timetable on 8 June (so you can see what time classes are at). I emailed and NPSIA confirmed all of its classes will be online, either synchronous or asynchronous (up to the instructor). Registration for courses opens on 3 July for new graduate students.

do you know what the deal is for students still completing the econ requirement? it looks like in prior years you weren't allowed to formally register until you had satisfied all conditions in your offer, and in the meantime, you completed a form stating your course preferences and were reserved a spot in the meantime...curious if this is still the protocool?

asking this as someone who definitely hasn't finished the econ requirement yet!

22 hours ago, irnerd said:

do you know what the deal is for students still completing the econ requirement? it looks like in prior years you weren't allowed to formally register until you had satisfied all conditions in your offer, and in the meantime, you completed a form stating your course preferences and were reserved a spot in the meantime...curious if this is still the protocool?

asking this as someone who definitely hasn't finished the econ requirement yet!

Hey, 

I haven't finished the econ requirements either-- doing them on athabasca right now. Do you know if we're still allowed to start courses before we've fulfilled those requirements? Because I don't see myself finishing them until at least mid September ?

1 hour ago, Potter445 said:

Hey, 

I haven't finished the econ requirements either-- doing them on athabasca right now. Do you know if we're still allowed to start courses before we've fulfilled those requirements? Because I don't see myself finishing them until at least mid September ?

i've only just started as well, and since im working full time, i don't imagine ill be done until late september either. i know my offer said the courses must be completed by october 1, but i do agree - im not sure how this works with course registration and paying tuition. might be worth emailing and asking?

Edited by irnerd

i also remember receiving an email in april on how we'd get further info on registration, satisfying admission conditions and what to expect, but none of that information has been sent yet to my knowledge. although to be fair, i understand the university is still trying to figure out this shift to remote teaching

Edited by irnerd

2 hours ago, irnerd said:

i've only just started as well, and since im working full time, i don't imagine ill be done until late september either. i know my offer said the courses must be completed by october 1, but i do agree - im not sure how this works with course registration and paying tuition. might be worth emailing and asking?

Yep I just emailed them 

Also, I did receive a NPSIA orientation package which included how to register! Did you check your cmail? 

On 6/5/2020 at 2:15 AM, Potter445 said:

Yep I just emailed them 

Also, I did receive a NPSIA orientation package which included how to register! Did you check your cmail? 

i finally got the orientation package, glad to see there are more emails being sent out on a regular basis :)

Edited by irnerd