Applying to NPSIA - MUNK - Fall 2020

On 4/11/2020 at 12:28 PM, IR_Fan said:

Hey everyone, 

Have you heard that the Ontario government has suspended all future rentals after May 1? I just found out through a property manager i'm speaking with about a potential apartment. My partner and I are still in Calgary, so that is pretty lame. I feel worse for any international students. 

At the end of the day, we are all in the same boat. If this hold on leases continues past August, then our respective grad schools will have to adapt to accommodate somehow...

Sorry if i'm the bearer of bad news here. It was pretty anxiety-inducing when I heard this morning too.  

This isn't true! I talked to my realtor in Toronto and they said that this is false. I think your property manager might be lying to you or they're confused. The only things that have been 'suspended' are evictions - landlords cannot evict tenants right now. 

14 minutes ago, uwosf2020 said:

This isn't true! I talked to my realtor in Toronto and they said that this is false. I think your property manager might be lying to you or they're confused. The only things that have been 'suspended' are evictions - landlords cannot evict tenants right now. 

“I think your property manager might be lying to you” <= this. Something like this d immediately be covered as breaking news by CP24 etc but as of this date cant find any articles regarding this. 

If I were you I d ask that property manager to provide any proof regarding this; like over priced hand sanitizers, definitely possible that some ppl d try to take advantage of this situation....

Edited by rkb

Hi everyone! 

Is anyone still waiting for a response from NPSIA or Max Bell? My file still says recommended for assessment/in review for both... While I have been accepted into GPSIA, I was wondering if anyone else is in the same position as me and knows when the next round of offers might be coming through. 

On 4/11/2020 at 12:28 PM, IR_Fan said:

Hey everyone, 

Have you heard that the Ontario government has suspended all future rentals after May 1? I just found out through a property manager i'm speaking with about a potential apartment. My partner and I are still in Calgary, so that is pretty lame. I feel worse for any international students. 

At the end of the day, we are all in the same boat. If this hold on leases continues past August, then our respective grad schools will have to adapt to accommodate somehow...

Sorry if i'm the bearer of bad news here. It was pretty anxiety-inducing when I heard this morning too.  

I really think the property manager is lying to you, to trick you into signing a lease now rather that in September or whenever you were actually hoping to start renting. I asked my partner (a lawyer here in Ottawa) if she'd heard anything like that, and she answered with a loud "hell no." The only thing that the province is suspending is evictions.

11 hours ago, theGoodGhosts said:

I really think the property manager is lying to you, to trick you into signing a lease now rather that in September or whenever you were actually hoping to start renting. I asked my partner (a lawyer here in Ottawa) if she'd heard anything like that, and she answered with a loud "hell no." The only thing that the province is suspending is evictions.

So apparently, his reasoning is that they can't get cleaners/maintenance to prepare units for new tenants, as of a protocol with the City of Ottawa... I told him that I would wait and will probably rent elsewhere. Thanks for all the help everyone!

On 4/13/2020 at 10:15 AM, Mat1221 said:

Hi everyone! 

Is anyone still waiting for a response from NPSIA or Max Bell? My file still says recommended for assessment/in review for both... While I have been accepted into GPSIA, I was wondering if anyone else is in the same position as me and knows when the next round of offers might be coming through. 

Hey there! Long time lurker here. I'm pretty much in the same boat - accepted into GSPIA, with "recommended for assessment" for my NPSIA application. I emailed them a while back when workplaces started adapting to teleworking, got a reply saying most first round offers have already gone out, but with COVID they have hit a small roadblock. They also said they're going to keep sending out offers on a rolling basis till the end of August. Not sure if things have changed since then though.

Hi all. 

I am an undergrad in my fourth year who is majoring in global development and during a minor in political science. I was looking at a masters and am interested in the munk school of global affairs. With my major, I was wondering, does it sound like a good path for me? What is the program like exactly and what should I expect from it maybe? I emailed them and they told me they are still accepting applications and I should aim to submit around early may. 

My GPA is around the 3.5 mark, so I was wondering, is that too low maybe?

1 hour ago, GeminiSJG said:

Hi all. 

I am an undergrad in my fourth year who is majoring in global development and during a minor in political science. I was looking at a masters and am interested in the munk school of global affairs. With my major, I was wondering, does it sound like a good path for me? What is the program like exactly and what should I expect from it maybe? I emailed them and they told me they are still accepting applications and I should aim to submit around early may. 

My GPA is around the 3.5 mark, so I was wondering, is that too low maybe?

From my understanding they care more about the last two years. If you have a good average in lat two years you should be good. But I wpuldn't say 3.5 is too bad. If you need some help you can DM me

Hey guys. 

I need to complete an econ class to meet my offer for NSPIA. I almost completely forgot until getting a reminder email from Kailey to be honest (since this whole pandemic has started ive found it hard to even think about grad school and whether classes will be running normally in a few months time... )

Anyways, I've been debating where to do the econ course but i think i might try to sign up for carletons online course or somewhere else depending on the availability at this point.

Just concerned about timelines since i thought youre blocked from registering for courses until your offer changes to unconditional. Does anyone know when course registration starts this year for the fall term? 

Edited by irnerd

8 minutes ago, irnerd said:

Hey guys. 

I need to complete an econ class to meet my offer for NSPIA. I almost completely forgot until getting a reminder email from Kailey to be honest (since this whole pandemic has started ive found it hard to even think about grad school and whether classes will be running normally... ).

Anyways, I've been debating where to do the econ course but i think i might try to sign up for carletons online course or somewhere else depending on the availability at this point.

Just concerned about timelines since i thought youre blocked from registering for courses until your offer changes to unconditional. Does anyone know when course registration starts this year for the fall term? 

take  econ through Athabasca and call Tabatha to ask the other question.

39 minutes ago, BTF said:

take  econ through Athabasca and call Tabatha to ask the other question.

Have you done it through athabasca or know anyone who has? Its actually where i was thinking of doing it since the registration process seems simpler plus its self paced.

Ive already done micro and macro but on a pass/fail basis at u of t (it was over 4 years ago but i remebered not finding it difficult). so i was also thinking of just doing both at the sane time at athabasca. 

Edited by irnerd

On 4/13/2020 at 11:15 AM, Mat1221 said:

Hi everyone! 

I'm also waiting on Max Bell!

On 4/19/2020 at 11:54 PM, irnerd said:

Have you done it through athabasca or know anyone who has? Its actually where i was thinking of doing it since the registration process seems simpler plus its self paced.

Ive already done micro and macro but on a pass/fail basis at u of t (it was over 4 years ago but i remebered not finding it difficult). so i was also thinking of just doing both at the sane time at athabasca. 

I know multiple NPSIA and MPPA students that completed their econ pre-reqs through Athabasca

On 4/19/2020 at 11:54 PM, irnerd said:

I was looking at Athabasca and I couldn't figure out which of their econ courses would be equivalent to ECON 1001 +1002 at Carleton. Can anyone confirm whether ECON 247 and 248 at Athabasca are the equivalent of Econ 1001 and 1002? 

3 hours ago, ZiggyZiggyZiggy said:

I was looking at Athabasca and I couldn't figure out which of their econ courses would be equivalent to ECON 1001 +1002 at Carleton. Can anyone confirm whether ECON 247 and 248 at Athabasca are the equivalent of Econ 1001 and 1002? 

It might be best to email kailey directly. Seeing as other people have done their pre reqs at athabasca though (i remember this coming up in prior year npsia threads), their micro and macro courses are probably fully equivalent. No harm in double checking though

Also Do you think youd do both courses at the same time as well? Looks like the earliest we can begin their online course is june.. I think its also the least expensive option for completing the credits tbh which is nice ?

Edited by irnerd

13 hours ago, irnerd said:

It might be best to email kailey directly. Seeing as other people have done their pre reqs at athabasca though (i remember this coming up in prior year npsia threads), their micro and macro courses are probably fully equivalent. No harm in double checking though

Also Do you think youd do both courses at the same time as well? Looks like the earliest we can begin their online course is june.. I think its also the least expensive option for completing the credits tbh which is nice ?

Hey i can provide some advise on this since i was talking with Kailey about it back in early March; if you want to take the Econ PreReq's at Carleton (which is cheaper) you have to register as a special student  to enroll in courses which is an easy process (i attached a link below). I just enrolled in Econ 1001 & 1002 at Carleton and it's all online now so you don't really have to worry about getting into the classes and they're taught on an accelerated timetable so each one only takes 6 weeks roughly and it saved me roughly $800.00 versus taking them at Athabasca.

https://carleton.ca/registrar/non-degree-students/special-students/

2 hours ago, KW77 said:

Hey i can provide some advise on this since i was talking with Kailey about it back in early March; if you want to take the Econ PreReq's at Carleton (which is cheaper) you have to register as a special student  to enroll in courses which is an easy process (i attached a link below). I just enrolled in Econ 1001 & 1002 at Carleton and it's all online now so you don't really have to worry about getting into the classes and they're taught on an accelerated timetable so each one only takes 6 weeks roughly and it saved me roughly $800.00 versus taking them at Athabasca.

https://carleton.ca/registrar/non-degree-students/special-students/

Taking Econ 1002 as a Special Student is my plan, Econ 1001 is full with no waitlist, so looks like I'll have to pay more to take its equivalent at Athabasca :( 

16 hours ago, irnerd said:

I think I'll be taking them one at a time! I've never taken an econ course and am a little intimidated so I think i'll just take it slow :) 

21 hours ago, ZiggyZiggyZiggy said:

I think I'll be taking them one at a time! I've never taken an econ course and am a little intimidated so I think i'll just take it slow :) 

If you are doing them thru Carleton online, they are pretty straightforward.   Prof. Joseph was excellent.  Any time i had a problem I went to see him at the campus and he was really helpful.   (I struggled with Econ 1001 as I'd never done an econ course before but still got a B+.  Not happy with that but I'm not really a good online student so... lol )

On 4/23/2020 at 8:57 AM, Hawkmoon said:

If you are doing them thru Carleton online, they are pretty straightforward.   Prof. Joseph was excellent.  Any time i had a problem I went to see him at the campus and he was really helpful.   (I struggled with Econ 1001 as I'd never done an econ course before but still got a B+.  Not happy with that but I'm not really a good online student so... lol )

Ok, thanks for letting me know! Even though Econ 1001 was showing as full, I submitted a Registration Override Form and managed to enroll today :)Excited to have Prof Joseph as my prof for 1001 and 1002 :D 

i haven't heard anything from npsia since the email reminding people of meeting any offer conditions like micro/macro - anyone else hear anything more recently regarding registration and next steps (i know that it was mentioned we'd receive a follow up email a few weeks ago, but so far, i haven't got a follow up email).

i'm mainly curious because i was offered funding, primarily in the form of a ta-ship. i tried to create a ta profile but i'm still pretty confused about the process, when we'll be told about who our program supervisor is (a detail we have to include in the online form), if npsia will determine what classes we'll ta or if we should actively rank our preferences. any pointers would be much appreciated

Edited by irnerd

On 4/21/2020 at 12:12 AM, BTF said:

I know multiple NPSIA and MPPA students that completed their econ pre-reqs through Athabasca

ive already registered, but im curious - do you know how long it typically took them to complete the courses? im looking forward to completing it as quickly as possible