Applying to NPSIA - MUNK - Fall 2020

On 6/2/2020 at 5:06 PM, theGoodGhosts said:

PSA for NPSIAns: If you go into Carleton Central, into "Build your Timetable/Registration", you can see what courses are on offer this fall by right clicking on the term drop-down menu, using "inspect element", and changing the "option value" from "202020" to "202030" (see the attached pics). You can also change that value to "202110" to see the classes on offer next winter.

(Note, this isn't my trick... I found it here on the Carleton subreddit)

374485922_ScreenShot2020-06-02at5_01_21PM.png.5779a518391310a056980ac10741968f.png

1216986980_ScreenShot2020-06-02at5_01_33PM.png.45c11115ea088365d2b376b8cbbe4aa9.png

I think they may have patched it - do you still have the schedule for Fall/Winter?

1 hour ago, ElleG said:

I think they may have patched it - do you still have the schedule for Fall/Winter?

They did indeed :( I don't think it was accurate anyway, as it still had INAF 5011 and 5012 listed (at exactly the same time, no less), rather than INAF 5017 and 5018, which apparently are the new mandatory classes.

With that said, the class timetable builder should for this fall will be opening tomorrow (may even be available as of midnight tonight), assuming Central doesn't crash under the load.

11 hours ago, theGoodGhosts said:

They did indeed :( I don't think it was accurate anyway, as it still had INAF 5011 and 5012 listed (at exactly the same time, no less), rather than INAF 5017 and 5018, which apparently are the new mandatory classes.

With that said, the class timetable builder should for this fall will be opening tomorrow (may even be available as of midnight tonight), assuming Central doesn't crash under the load.

It's open now!  And still has 5011 & 5012 listed...

1 hour ago, Hawkmoon said:

It's open now!  And still has 5011 & 5012 listed...

Yeah, I just wrote to Lauren asking her if they're just changing the code (and keeping the times the same), or if the timeslot will change as well.

From an email I got on Friday from Lauren about Fall 2020 Registration (if you didn’t get the email you should probably ask to be added to the email list): “Two courses have recently been updated to the following codes – INAF 5011 is now INAF 5017, and INAF 5012 is now INAF 5018. These changes will be made by the time you are able to register on July 3, so the change may not be reflected on Monday.”

26 minutes ago, SRIR said:

From an email I got on Friday from Lauren about Fall 2020 Registration (if you didn’t get the email you should probably ask to be added to the email list): “Two courses have recently been updated to the following codes – INAF 5011 is now INAF 5017, and INAF 5012 is now INAF 5018. These changes will be made by the time you are able to register on July 3, so the change may not be reflected on Monday.”

Yeah, my question to her was whether they were just code swapping the two classes, or also changing the timeslots so that they're not listed at the same time (in case the classes aren't "on demand")

Edit: I just realized I'm a total idiot. Since those two are 0.25 credit classes, 5017 is going to be in the first half of the semester, and 5018 in the second half, so it doesn't matter that the time is the same. I just facepalmed so aggressively that I woke/spooked my cat.

Edited by theGoodGhosts

30 minutes ago, theGoodGhosts said:

Yeah, my question to her was whether they were just code swapping the two classes, or also changing the timeslots so that they're not listed at the same time (in case the classes aren't "on demand")

Edit: I just realized I'm a total idiot. Since those two are 0.25 credit classes, 5017 is going to be in the first half of the semester, and 5018 in the second half, so it doesn't matter that the time is the same. I just facepalmed so aggressively that I woke/spooked my cat.

LOL  yeah, I'm sitting here talking to the screen going, " 8 hours between courses is WAY too long, need to find something to fill that gap.." ,  my dog is looking at me like I've lost my mind... And we haven't even started yet! 

7 hours ago, Potter445 said:

Hey is anyone else getting "You are not a student for the selected term. Please contact the registration office" when they click "Registration getting started"?

I don't think that will change until the registration window opens (July 3). When I click "Getting Started", it still lists me as a 4th year undergrad student.

FWIW, I've never actually used the "Registration: Getting Started" page... I always just went through "Build Your Timetable/Registration". If you go through there, you can build a tentative timetable (a worksheet), and when registration opens, you'll be able to submit the classes you have on your worksheet. Pretty sure Kailey is going to go over the registration process during the webinars this coming Friday.

8 hours ago, Potter445 said:

Hey is anyone else getting "You are not a student for the selected term. Please contact the registration office" when they click "Registration getting started"?

Have you also cleared the requirement (i.e sent your transcript), in addition to the previous comment

1 hour ago, theGoodGhosts said:

I don't think that will change until the registration window opens (July 3). When I click "Getting Started", it still lists me as a 4th year undergrad student.

FWIW, I've never actually used the "Registration: Getting Started" page... I always just went through "Build Your Timetable/Registration". If you go through there, you can build a tentative timetable (a worksheet), and when registration opens, you'll be able to submit the classes you have on your worksheet. Pretty sure Kailey is going to go over the registration process during the webinars this coming Friday.

Ah so are we not able to see which courses we're supposed to sign up for until July 3? Is there not like a degree requirements page??

8 hours ago, Potter445 said:

Ah so are we not able to see which courses we're supposed to sign up for until July 3? Is there not like a degree requirements page??

This page shows you the required courses for the program (which are INAF 5016, INAF 5017, and INAF 5018, all in first semester)*, and if you scroll down and click on your specialization on this page, it'll tell you which of the INAF economics classes you need to take for your specialization in the Winter term.

*Note that, right now, the timetable planner is still listing INAF 5011 and 5012... those are going to renamed to 5017 and 5018 at some point between now and when registration opens.

19 hours ago, vsmf said:

Wondering what language everyone is looking to take to fulfil the second language requirement?

I took Spanish and Russian in undergrad - so I am hoping to recieve advanced standing in one or both. What about you

9 hours ago, ElleG said:

I took Spanish and Russian in undergrad - so I am hoping to recieve advanced standing in one or both. What about you

That's really cool! I have some background in Mandarin and French, so debating between the two. 

7 hours ago, vsmf said:

That's really cool! I have some background in Mandarin and French, so debating between the two. 

I may be wrong but if you want I think you can use both. Also that's really neat combination 

French is my first language, and I submitted my government English testing results to the Carleton language and linguistics department, so I've got the language requirement done. But I also started taking Mandarin Chinese in undergrad, so I might just keep going with that through the MA, and maybe aim to do some HSK testing at the end.

On 6/10/2020 at 6:41 PM, vsmf said:

Wondering what language everyone is looking to take to fulfil the second language requirement?

French for sure. I took German in undergrad but obviously French is much more necessary. I'm thinking of taking the Rosetta Stone option, it seems like the most effective way to learn the language since everything will be online anyways. 

On 6/13/2020 at 12:16 PM, IR_Fan said:

French for sure. I took German in undergrad but obviously French is much more necessary. I'm thinking of taking the Rosetta Stone option, it seems like the most effective way to learn the language since everything will be online anyways. 

Yeah, French for me also.  I was looking at Spanish or Italian just because my focus in going to be on Transnational  Organised Crime specifically in Latin America or Europe but I'll need French to get a job in Ottawa.  I didn't know about the Rosetta Stone option until they mentioned it in the meeting and it sounds like a good option...!

• 3 weeks later...

So the big registration day is tomorrow.   Since we all have to do 5011, 5012 & 5016, what is the 4th course people are signing up for?  Especially those in IIA??

1 hour ago, Hawkmoon said:

So the big registration day is tomorrow.   Since we all have to do 5011, 5012 & 5016, what is the 4th course people are signing up for?  Especially those in IIA??

I'm hoping to do INAF5244 (Terrorism and Intl Security).

For the Winter, I'm planning to register in:

5015 - Rrsch Design Method Int Affair

5214 - Economics for Defence & Secur

5225 - Cybersecurity in Canada (I wanted to do counterterrorism in lieu of this, but it didn't work with my work schedule).

What time is your registration? Mine is at 10am.

30 minutes ago, ah_097 said:

I'm hoping to do INAF5244 (Terrorism and Intl Security).

For the Winter, I'm planning to register in:

5015 - Rrsch Design Method Int Affair

5214 - Economics for Defence & Secur

5225 - Cybersecurity in Canada (I wanted to do counterterrorism in lieu of this, but it didn't work with my work schedule).

What time is your registration? Mine is at 10am.

Mine is 1430 hrs....  ?

I was planning on Terr&Intl Sec for the Fall also.

Winter maybe:

INAF 5214    Econ

INAF 5224    Intell & NatSec

INAF 5225    Cyber in Canada

INAF 5301     Strategic Foresight

But that all hinges on what is left at 2:30pm of course...  lol

7 hours ago, theGoodGhosts said:

Tentatively, signing up for Intelligence and International Affairs (5204), but I'm on the fence as to whether I want to stick with IIA... if they let me change specialization, I'd make a different pick

Which specialization would you change to?