Applying to NPSIA - MUNK - Fall 2020

12 hours ago, irnerd said:

anyone here back about the ta-ship

I got nothing - I may email them to see what's going regarding that considering COVID situation. 

On 8/12/2020 at 10:16 AM, ElleG said:

I got nothing - I may email them to see what's going regarding that considering COVID situation. 

I just emailed Kailey earlier this week. She said we should be finding out in the middle of August, so ASAP hopefully? I also just sent out all my employment paperwork to HR.

Got the INAF 5018 syllabus today via email. Anyone else get a chance to read it?

5 minutes ago, IR_Fan said:

I just emailed Kailey earlier this week. She said we should be finding out in the middle of August, so ASAP hopefully? I also just sent out all my employment paperwork to HR.

Got the INAF 5018 syllabus today via email. Anyone else get a chance to read it?

How many hours did they give you with admission, if you don't mind me asking? 

I didn't get the syllabus - any chance I can email you to forward it to me

Edited by ElleG

39 minutes ago, ElleG said:

It doesn't show how many hours I have in my admission awards, just the total award amount...

On 8/13/2020 at 1:50 PM, ElleG said:

You should be able to find the syllabus on CULearn.

Just received the TA assignment. Looks like I'm doing "publication administration' with a Professor at NPSIA instead of a normal course, whatever that means...

2 hours ago, Hawkmoon said:

Has anyone gotten the syllabi for the other courses? I've only gotten the INAF 5018: Law and International Affairs one so far...

I got nothing so far - I didnt even get the original email for some reason but I saw both INAF 5018 7 INAF 5017 have courses created on the cuLearn

Got my TA assignment... PAPM 1001, "The Policy Cycle".

I have very limited policy experience, and my first class on policy will be the mandatory "Policy Process and International Affairs" 1/2 semester class this Fall... so... not super confident with this assignment.

8 minutes ago, theGoodGhosts said:

I have very limited policy experience, and my first class on policy will be the mandatory "Policy Process and International Affairs" 1/2 semester class this Fall... so... not super confident with this assignment.

The professor/supervisor will guide you through the material. I don't think they expect anyone to be an expert. Also, you've made it this far, don't sell yourself too short.

On 8/28/2020 at 12:01 PM, theGoodGhosts said:

Pretty sure they will get you up to speed quickly.  With your education and experience you'll have no problems... 

Ha! Update on the TA situation. I was informed by the department and the prof that my TA job would be sort of "student outreach" and wouldn't require any knowledge of the material. Okay, no worries!

Then, like two days later, the prof emails me to say that the TA needs of the class have been reassessed, that she can no longer use me, and that I'll likely be reassigned. It's been about 5 days since then, and I'm still attached to the class, but my "Total Hours" of work is now set at 0. 

Back in limbo! Fun stuff.

Edited by theGoodGhosts

On 9/4/2020 at 11:29 AM, theGoodGhosts said:

Ha! Update on the TA situation. I was informed by the department and the prof that my TA job would be sort of "student outreach" and wouldn't require any knowledge of the material. Okay, no worries!

Then, like two days later, the prof emails me to say that the TA needs of the class have been reassessed, that she can no longer use me, and that I'll likely be reassigned. It's been about 5 days since then, and I'm still attached to the class, but my "Total Hours" of work is now set at 0. 

Back in limbo! Fun stuff.

I am sorry you are in this situation, I have been in limbo and haven't been told anything either. Now I am kinda going of the assumption that I won't have hours period. Cause classes start next week and I am set at 0 hours

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, been lurking for a bit in preparation for fall 2021's application cycle for the MGA at Munk, NPSIA and GSPIA for their international affairs programs. Thanks to all of you who have posted insightful information regarding the whole process! 

A little background about me before i ask my question - i'm an Indian national, a law graduate and am currently working with a UN organisation in India. What are the employment opportunities accorded to international students in the government, especially if considering NPSIA or GSPIA, which I gather are more government-employment oriented than Munk is?  

3 hours ago, Pluto7 said:

Hi everyone, been lurking for a bit in preparation for fall 2021's application cycle for the MGA at Munk, NPSIA and GSPIA for their international affairs programs. Thanks to all of you who have posted insightful information regarding the whole process! 

A little background about me before i ask my question - i'm an Indian national, a law graduate and am currently working with a UN organisation in India. What are the employment opportunities accorded to international students in the government, especially if considering NPSIA or GSPIA, which I gather are more government-employment oriented than Munk is?  

The Canadian Government prioritizes Canadian Citizens in all hiring, expect for co-ops. Getting a co-op and then using that to get into government is really the best way for non-Canadian citizens to get government jobs.