Applying to NPSIA - MUNK - Fall 2020

4 hours ago, Hawkmoon said:

Which specialization would you change to?

Leaning IDP, HDHP, or IOGP.

Also, I'm taking the fact that both of the Fall IIA classes are already marked as "full, no waitlist" as something of a sign from the universe. Actually, even the lone class that has no specialization (EU in International Affairs, 5805) is full

Update from facebook:

badge icon
Another registration update for everyone's info: NPSIA will not be using a wait list system this year, should courses become full. Instead, the administration asks that override requests be submitted. Please DO NOT submit override requests for courses outside your specialization; these will become open to everyone on July 10.
To submit an override request form, log into Carleton Central. Under "Registration", select "Registration Override Requests". The application will guide you through the remainder of the process.
Questions? DM us!

2 hours ago, theGoodGhosts said:

Leaning IDP, HDHP, or IOGP.

Also, I'm taking the fact that both of the Fall IIA classes are already marked as "full, no waitlist" as something of a sign from the universe. Actually, even the lone class that has no specialization (EU in International Affairs, 5805) is full

so i guess the impression i got from the webinar was that depending on availability (especially later on in the summer if some people drop/defer), we might be able to switch streams? was that just me?

Just now, irnerd said:

so i guess the impression i got from the webinar was that depending on availability (especially later on in the summer if some people drop/defer), we might be able to switch streams? was that just me?

Correct

36 minutes ago, theGoodGhosts said:

Welp, registered for classes (and submitted the override request for 5204). I guess I'm sticking with IIA for the time being!

Same , Same.   Winter semester was a breeze tho.     Econ, Counterterr, Intell and I decided to go with Strategic Foresight... 

On 7/3/2020 at 3:35 PM, irnerd said:

literally every class i wanted for winter is full lol although fall term worked perfectly!

Mine was the complete opposite!  lol

On 7/3/2020 at 11:16 AM, vsmf said:

I'm in DFP too, and should also be taking 5100 in the fall. 

Winter: 
5009 - International Aspects of Economic Development
5403 - Diplomacy and Foreign Policy
5429 - Selected Topics in DFP (too bad they haven't announced the exact topic for this one!) 

It seems like we might cross paths!

Classes were filled really quickly and I had a 10:30 time ticket. Hoping some courses will open up again but not sure... 

I think we will cross paths for sure! Our timetables are almost identical hahaha. It says you're from Calgary too? Are you moving to Ottawa for the Fall or staying there? 

Haha I knew some ppl, like me, d have difficulty enrolling in courses :( currently at 1.0 credit right now for the Fall semester (those three mandatory Fall courses), but still I must add 0.5 course otherwise I dont think I d be able to maintain a full time status? (1.5 Fall / 1.5 Winter = 3.0 credits) This is really ridiculous; cant enroll in my own specialization courses/ in other courses since they r being reserved for other specializations... lol 

Edited by rkb

6 hours ago, rkb said:

Haha I knew some ppl, like me, d have difficulty enrolling in courses :( currently at 1.0 credit right now for the Fall semester (those three mandatory Fall courses), but still I must add 0.5 course otherwise I dont think I d be able to maintain a full time status? (1.5 Fall / 1.5 Winter = 3.0 credits) This is really ridiculous; cant enroll in my own specialization courses/ in other courses since they r being reserved for other specializations... lol 

Put in an over-ride request for your specialization course.  I ran into the same problem and that is what they suggested.  Can't hurt to try.   i am going to contact the office this week to ask why this happened...

21 hours ago, rkb said:

In addition to Hawkmoon's comment, you maintain full time status regardless of number of courses. They are opening all courses this Friday - so we can take something else just in case. That being said, I don't know why most of us did not have the ability to get into our own courses.

Since I am in IIA and courses were closed I may take a diplomacy stream course and request being switched as I cannot fullfil my specialization 

1 hour ago, ElleG said:

In addition to Hawkmoon's comment, you maintain full time status regardless of number of courses. They are opening all courses this Friday - so we can take something else just in case. That being said, I don't know why most of us did not have the ability to get into our own courses.

Since I am in IIA and courses were closed I may take a diplomacy stream course and request being switched as I cannot fullfil my specialization 

You have two years to get the 3 classes needed to fulfill your specialization. I figure the two IIA fall-term classes probably filled up with 2nd year students who couldn't do them in their first year (because 2nd year students in that year filled up the classes, ad.inf.)

FWIW, they offered INAF 5204 this summer, so there's a chance it will get offered again next summer. 

(Also, I think DFP might be full... the only specialization I know for sure still has space is HDHP).

On 7/5/2020 at 10:06 AM, IR_Fan said:

I think we will cross paths for sure! Our timetables are almost identical hahaha. It says you're from Calgary too? Are you moving to Ottawa for the Fall or staying there? 

Yes! Fellow Calgarian here. I'll be staying here for the Fall unfortunately. You? Happy to move this to DMs if you'd like! 

Hi everyone,

I've applied to NPSIA for the Fall 2020 semester back in November 2019 but until now, my application is still in "Recommended for Assessment". I've tried emailing the department for a more detailed answer and to see if there are delays in application review process due to COVID-19 but the only answer I got was "we're sending out responses up until August 31".
It's July now and I'm still in limbo, should I consider that my application was rejected or has there been cases before where people still got accepted to the program in August for the semester starting in September?

Thank you!

On 7/3/2020 at 1:23 PM, Hawkmoon said:

Update from facebook:

badge icon
Another registration update for everyone's info: NPSIA will not be using a wait list system this year, should courses become full. Instead, the administration asks that override requests be submitted. Please DO NOT submit override requests for courses outside your specialization; these will become open to everyone on July 10.
To submit an override request form, log into Carleton Central. Under "Registration", select "Registration Override Requests". The application will guide you through the remainder of the process.
Questions? DM us!

does anyone know when on july 10 registration is open to all? or is it literally start at 12

12 hours ago, h4ngp.t said:

Hi everyone,

I've applied to NPSIA for the Fall 2020 semester back in November 2019 but until now, my application is still in "Recommended for Assessment". I've tried emailing the department for a more detailed answer and to see if there are delays in application review process due to COVID-19 but the only answer I got was "we're sending out responses up until August 31".
It's July now and I'm still in limbo, should I consider that my application was rejected or has there been cases before where people still got accepted to the program in August for the semester starting in September?

Thank you!

id say don't give up, some people are bound to drop out. i have a lot of friends who want to defer graduate studies with the pandemic going on, so i imagine it'll be the same even at npsia. sounds like you're on a waitlist which is still good! :) 

On 7/9/2020 at 9:20 PM, irnerd said:

id say don't give up, some people are bound to drop out. i have a lot of friends who want to defer graduate studies with the pandemic going on, so i imagine it'll be the same even at npsia. sounds like you're on a waitlist which is still good! :) 

Thanks for this! I guess all I can do now is wait until the end of August then...

5 minutes ago, ElleG said:

Hey everyone - is anyone taking technology and War or Internet Governance. I would love to connect!

Tentatively scheduled for Internet Governance! I wanted to take Technology and War, but it was full :(

Doh... disregard. I thought I'd signed up for Internet Governance, but apparently signed up for Global Public Policy as well as Humanitarian Assistance instead (?)

Edited by theGoodGhosts

1 hour ago, ElleG said:

Hey everyone - is anyone taking technology and War or Internet Governance. I would love to connect!

Was going to sign up but Full no waitlist...  This is unreal.....

1 hour ago, theGoodGhosts said:

Tentatively scheduled for Internet Governance! I wanted to take Technology and War, but it was full :(

Doh... disregard. I thought I'd signed up for Internet Governance, but apparently signed up for Global Public Policy as well as Humanitarian Assistance instead (?)

Yeah was looking at those two also.... Alas, full, no waitlist....  ?   Oops, Apparently Global policy is still open....  Not sure if I will sign up for that or not..

Update:  Signed up for Global Policy.  Any chance of getting into the actual specialization courses seem to be nil and next to nil apparently... 

Edited by Hawkmoon

1 hour ago, Hawkmoon said:

Yeah was looking at those two also.... Alas, full, no waitlist....  ?   Oops, Apparently Global policy is still open....  Not sure if I will sign up for that or not..

Update:  Signed up for Global Policy.  Any chance of getting into the actual specialization courses seem to be nil and next to nil apparently... 

Yeah - I am in IIA. I emailed them and asked wh ythey only had 2 courses and Kailey said they didn't anticipate such high demand or something along those lines. I may be crazy but I feel like other specialties got more selection than us with only 2 courses.

I am curious if this was an issue last year.

Edited by ElleG

1 hour ago, ElleG said:

Yeah - I am in IIA. I emailed them and asked wh ythey only had 2 courses and Kailey said they didn't anticipate such high demand or something along those lines. I may be crazy but I feel like other specialties got more selection than us with only 2 courses.

I am curious if this was an issue last year.

The impression i got was that this had been happening for sometime.  Why would students going into their second year need to grab what are essentially first year courses...  I though that given the present circumstances they would expand the class sizes in order to handle the issues.  

5 minutes ago, Hawkmoon said:

The impression i got was that this had been happening for sometime.  Why would students going into their second year need to grab what are essentially first year courses...  I though that given the present circumstances they would expand the class sizes in order to handle the issues.  

Intelligence and International Affairs is also an IPIS elective (cross-listed as IPIS 5303), so some of the spots may have been taken by students either doing MIPIS or the IPIS graduate diploma.