Applying to NPSIA - MUNK - Fall 2020

20 hours ago, irnerd said:

i haven't heard anything from npsia since the email reminding people of meeting any offer conditions like micro/macro - anyone else hear anything more recently regarding registration and next steps (i know that it was mentioned we'd receive a follow up email a few weeks ago, but so far, i haven't got a follow up email).

i'm mainly curious because i was offered funding, primarily in the form of a ta-ship. i tried to create a ta profile but i'm still pretty confused about the process, when we'll be told about who our program supervisor is (a detail we have to include in the online form), if npsia will determine what classes we'll ta or if we should actively rank our preferences. any pointers would be much appreciated

Hey, 

I didn't receive anything either!! I missed signing up for the prerequisite econ courses for that reason-- I didn't even know how to register. Now they're all full. 

Did you accept your offer on time? I accepted mine a week late and I thought maybe that was why.

4 hours ago, Potter445 said:

Hey, 

I didn't receive anything either!! I missed signing up for the prerequisite econ courses for that reason-- I didn't even know how to register. Now they're all full. 

Did you accept your offer on time? I accepted mine a week late and I thought maybe that was why.

athabasca is always an option - and you have until may 10th to sign up for a june start :)

and well, i accepted my offer and funding on the last day of the 21 days we were given to respond, so i was still on time. do you mean you accepted yours after 21 days from when your offer was extended to you?

part of me wonders if they're super busy which would be completely understandable. prior to this pandemic, i tended to get same day responses from the program administrator, but i sent out an email last week and haven't got a response yet. just concerned because the ta money would be super helpful and im worried about missing a step/deadline but i literally dont know how it'll work

14 hours ago, irnerd said:

athabasca is always an option - and you have until may 10th to sign up for a june start :)

and well, i accepted my offer and funding on the last day of the 21 days we were given to respond, so i was still on time. do you mean you accepted yours after 21 days from when your offer was extended to you?

part of me wonders if they're super busy which would be completely understandable. prior to this pandemic, i tended to get same day responses from the program administrator, but i sent out an email last week and haven't got a response yet. just concerned because the ta money would be super helpful and im worried about missing a step/deadline but i literally dont know how it'll work

Yep, that's the issue-- they are busy! Just got a response that said they haven't sent anything out yet because they're working on a plan in case classes have to be online in the fall. 

I'm on the same boat as you! I hate feeling like I'm missing something. Hopefully if something does unintentionally slip through the cracks they'll be understanding given this whole circumstance.

6 hours ago, rkb said:

Anyone still at “Recommended for Assessment” stage?? Wonder when they ll start sending second round offers....

Same boat. I don’t think there are second rounds per say. Just letting people in as others decline. Thats the vibe I got anyway. I accepted another offer in the mean time. 

My status just changed from "recommended for assessment" to "review in progress by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs" and my specialization was updated in Carleton Central. Should I take this as a positive sign? How long is it usually in this status before a decision is made?

6 hours ago, mcbabs said:

Same boat. I don’t think there are second rounds per say. Just letting people in as others decline. Thats the vibe I got anyway. I accepted another offer in the mean time. 

Same situation as both of you. I am still being 'recommended for assessment'. Hopefully, we will know their final decision soon!

5 hours ago, ah_097 said:

My status just changed from "recommended for assessment" to "review in progress by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs" and my specialization was updated in Carleton Central. Should I take this as a positive sign? How long is it usually in this status before a decision is made?

You should recieve acceptance within a few days! If they give you your specialization you are in! Congrats

On 4/29/2020 at 12:19 PM, Potter445 said:

Yep, that's the issue-- they are busy! Just got a response that said they haven't sent anything out yet because they're working on a plan in case classes have to be online in the fall. 

I'm on the same boat as you! I hate feeling like I'm missing something. Hopefully if something does unintentionally slip through the cracks they'll be understanding given this whole circumstance.

still haven't heard back from any of my email inquiries, but this is good to know and confirmed what i thought :) completely understandable given whats been going on. thanks!

its also interesting hearing how they're preparing. i know things are rapidly changing, but right now it really does feel like classes will be online next fall - if that is the case, i really hope we'll be able to resume to in person classes at some point in 2021, if not earlier

Edited by irnerd

On 5/5/2020 at 10:03 PM, irnerd said:

still haven't heard back from any of my email inquiries, but this is good to know and confirmed what i thought :) completely understandable given whats been going on. thanks!

its also interesting hearing how they're preparing. i know things are rapidly changing, but right now it really does feel like classes will be online next fall - if that is the case, i really hope we'll be able to resume to in person classes at some point in 2021, if not earlier

Gosh that would be so strange to begin a new program online lol! So I hope so too if that is the case. 

Also random- but I'm having that feeling you mentioned where I can't stop suspecting that I am missing something. Am I right to think we are just meant to be focusing on finishing our prerequisite econ courses/ sending in our transcripts right now, or is there something else we should also be doing?

19 hours ago, GeminiSJG said:

I'm applying to Munk and am working on the video question. I've done practice for two days for 4 hours and get frustrated as i pause/stutter when I do and my sentences are jumbled. Any tips to help with this part?

I know this is generic advice, but definitely just try to relax and take a deep breath before you start! You could also try recording yourself on your laptop away from the Kira Talent website just to get comfortable in front of the camera. Maybe try talking about a topic you know a lot about so you can feel confident. You can watch those videos back and see if there's anything you need to improve on in terms of speaking and presentation. Before I did the video question, I made a list of generic replies I could use in case I didn't know the answer to the question and then practiced those several times.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the video question is as important as the other parts of your application. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can do this! :) 

On 5/8/2020 at 6:37 PM, GeminiSJG said:

I'm applying to Munk and am working on the video question. I've done practice for two days for 4 hours and get frustrated as i pause/stutter when I do and my sentences are jumbled. Any tips to help with this part?

Advice from someone who has given multiple hours of court testimony.  mmh96 has good info, definitely make a list of generic replies and treat them almost like a script.  Read up on major global issues.   For practice have someone off camera when you are recording yourself on a laptop and talk to them.  This allows you to approach it as a conversation and not as an interview per se.  Do some research, gather a general sense of what they have asked others (if that is allowed).  Have your practice partner selection a question from the different topics you provide them.  I know 3 minutes might seem like an eternity when you actually do it, but really it's not that long if it is a subject you know and are interested in.  It's basically an elevator interview...

And for the love of God breathe.  I saw fellow officer pass out on the stand because he wasn't breathing properly.  Take 4-5 deep breathes before starting and breathe at a comma and at the end of every sentence. 

(caveat here: I haven't applied to Munk so I don't really know what the procedure is.  Whether they just provide a question or is there an actual interviewer...)  

Ok found this on the Munk website...

• Applicants are required to answer one randomly selected question. The questions are related to issues in global affairs. Applicants have 5 mins to prep their answer and 3 mins to record their response.
  • Once your response has been recorded you cannot go back and record another one. Applicants have the opportunity to practice on three questions before they record their response.

hey guys, im interested in munk/npsia/gspia and i have a question that i hope someone here with any prior experience in any one of these programs would be willing to answer.

im from ottawa but i would one day like to work outside canada. i know international opportunities for internships and coops are extremely competitive, but if you had to recommend a program in order to facilitate this, which one would you recommend?

like i mentioned, i know how competitive international internships are and the odds of me finding a job abroad are low after post-grad, but i would really like to hear anyone's opinion on this.

(background: im entering my third year at uottawa. im currently in the coop program for a bachelor's in public administration).

Hey everyone, 

I think I'm having some trouble with Carleton central. Do the rest of you have content under category  of 'view holds and conditions of offer'? I would assume that this is where I'd see the requirement for sending in transcript/ fulfilling my econ requirements, but there is nothing there.

15 hours ago, Potter445 said:

Hey everyone, 

I think I'm having some trouble with Carleton central. Do the rest of you have content under category  of 'view holds and conditions of offer'? I would assume that this is where I'd see the requirement for sending in transcript/ fulfilling my econ requirements, but there is nothing there.

Your conditions are noted in the graduate admissions modal; I think the 'view holds and conditions of offer' are for financial holds and undergraduate admissions.

Does anyone know when Carleton usually posts their timetable of classes for the Fall? I'm curious to see when the mandatory classes are so I can start figuring out how I'm going to fit them in with work.

3 hours ago, ah_097 said:

Your conditions are noted in the graduate admissions modal; I think the 'view holds and conditions of offer' are for financial holds and undergraduate admissions.

Does anyone know when Carleton usually posts their timetable of classes for the Fall? I'm curious to see when the mandatory classes are so I can start figuring out how I'm going to fit them in with work.

Thanks I just noticed that! 

Has any else been offered a TAship?

If so, do you know if/ how we're supposed to fill out the Graduate TA profile? Or do we do that later in the year? They told me to fill it out, but I wouldn't know what to put for "thesis/program supervisor"

2 hours ago, Potter445 said:

Has any else been offered a TAship?

If so, do you know if/ how we're supposed to fill out the Graduate TA profile? Or do we do that later in the year? They told me to fill it out, but I wouldn't know what to put for "thesis/program supervisor"

I got a TAship, and accepted it without thinking... now I'm trying to figure out how to back out of it. ?

I think you can wait until fall/winter courses get announced to fill out your TA profile, that way you can pick the courses that are actually getting offered and read the course descriptions. At least in the History department, courses/descriptions typically went up in early June (though I'm not sure when other departments post that info, nor whether it'll be thrown off by this year's chaos).

46 minutes ago, theGoodGhosts said:

I got a TAship, and accepted it without thinking... now I'm trying to figure out how to back out of it. ?

I think you can wait until fall/winter courses get announced to fill out your TA profile, that way you can pick the courses that are actually getting offered and read the course descriptions. At least in the History department, courses/descriptions typically went up in early June (though I'm not sure when other departments post that info, nor whether it'll be thrown off by this year's chaos).

Oh right, that makes sense! But how would I know who my supervisor is? ?

Also out of curiosity, what made you reconsider the TAship?