Applying to NPSIA - MUNK - Fall 2020

Hello, just found this forum and wanted to say I was accepted the other day to Munk! Domestic 4th year student finishing international relations degree in Canada. Have not even had time to apply or look at scholarship/funding, so if anyone has any advice that would be greatly appreciated!

15 hours ago, sumerian said:

Hello, just found this forum and wanted to say I was accepted the other day to Munk! Domestic 4th year student finishing international relations degree in Canada. Have not even had time to apply or look at scholarship/funding, so if anyone has any advice that would be greatly appreciated!

the mga is a professional degree, so they provide very little funding to offer holders and the program also doesn't qualify for the school's finacial aid (utaps). you might want to look at external funding sources and your province's loan system/private loans from places like scotiabank, etc.

Hey everyone,

I know this was mentioned before. But those of you choosing between NSPIA and Munk. If you are able to share your insight as to why you are choosing one over another would you be able to share. I am having hard time deciding objectively. All the insight is appreciated :)

Hi everyone,

I've also applied to NPSIA with the hope of starting in September 2020. I submitted my application in November 2019 but still haven't heard back so I emailed and they said I haven't been selected in first round and they will now look at applications on a cyclical basis, until August.

I'm getting a bit nervous because my profile is a bit different from what is listed in the admission requirements.

I have a BCom, I speak 4 languages (including English and French) and have worked abroad and in Canada for a couple of years, mostly for NGOs. I'm currently working in campaign/advocacy around international development policies. I'm pretty confident about my personal statement and the references but my weakest point is my undergrad GPA (I wasn't passionate about what I was learning).

What do you think are my chances and how important is GPA in their admission process? Should I be taking extra classes to boost up my profile?

2 hours ago, h4ngp.t said:

Hi everyone,

I've also applied to NPSIA with the hope of starting in September 2020. I submitted my application in November 2019 but still haven't heard back so I emailed and they said I haven't been selected in first round and they will now look at applications on a cyclical basis, until August.

I'm getting a bit nervous because my profile is a bit different from what is listed in the admission requirements.

I have a BCom, I speak 4 languages (including English and French) and have worked abroad and in Canada for a couple of years, mostly for NGOs. I'm currently working in campaign/advocacy around international development policies. I'm pretty confident about my personal statement and the references but my weakest point is my undergrad GPA (I wasn't passionate about what I was learning).

What do you think are my chances and how important is GPA in their admission process? Should I be taking extra classes to boost up my profile?

NPSIA is pretty famous for their slow process so I would wait. There are a lot of people who get-in in the later rounds. If you don't get in I would recommend emailing them and asking for feedback on your application. I did that last year and I got in first round. I think languages and a year or two of expereince may be secondary parts of the application letters of recommendation really matter and your Personal Statment. 

I can give you some information that I was provided last year if you PM me.

My app still says in review by the department but my specialization has updated to conflict analysis and resolution. Personally kinda bummed out about that because foreign policy was my first choice, dont even think I put conflict in my top five.

Wonder how typically people choose to not do the specialization at all and if it's impossibly difficult to get into classes marked with the field designation 

4 hours ago, irnerd said:

My app still says in review by the department but my specialization has updated to conflict analysis and resolution. Personally kinda bummed out about that because foreign policy was my first choice, dont even think I put conflict in my top five.

Wonder how typically people choose to not do the specialization at all and if it's impossibly difficult to get into classes marked with the field designation 

Damn... I'm not holding out much hope for getting mine then as I don't have change to my app yet. 

I wonder if that is possible?  The students in the specialization would probably get first choice but I'd bet there is room for other students.   

10 minutes ago, Hawkmoon said:

Damn... I'm not holding out much hope for getting mine then as I don't have change to my app yet. 

I wonder if that is possible?  The students in the specialization would probably get first choice but I'd bet there is room for other students.   

4 hours ago, irnerd said:

I talked to a friend in the program he said the specializations are not that important. You have the ability to take all the courses, just those who have specialization usually get first choice but there always spots for everyone

39 minutes ago, ElleG said:

I talked to a friend in the program he said the specializations are not that important. You have the ability to take all the courses, just those who have specialization usually get first choice but there always spots for everyone

OK that's makes me feel better! Thank you so much I was pretty gutted at first 

I personally don't find most of the classes in my selected specialization interesting at all and would prefer taking classes in literally any other stream (don't mean to sound ungrateful but I was worried we were heavily restricted in course options). I still wonder if we can switch because otherwise might just select to do the general MA 

Also got funding today... 1k in scholarship and 5k each year as a ta. was expecting more of a straight scholarship but still grateful. 

41 minutes ago, IR_Fan said:

I never realized that the DFP specialization just started in September. In any event, i'm happy it's a thing now. 

Oh really as in this past September? 

Yeah I wonder if it's heavily subscribed. I personally thought it had the most interesting classes and I really hope I can swap into it. 

Edited by irnerd

Does anyone know about the chances for 2nd year funding (TA, RA chances etc.) ? I'm an international student and got an entrance award of $15,000 but still worried about opportunities for second year. Thanks! :) 

Got wait-listed by Munk - any hopes for me? I'm an international applicant with a business background and experience working in the venture capital industry with no IR experience.

Also, can folks on the waitlist defer their admission spot (if they receive an offer eventually)?  

Thanks!

Hi guys,

NPSIA applicant here, still at “Recommended for Assessment” stage. Officially confirmed with NPSIA that faculty hasnt reviewed my application as of today. Anyone in the same situation? I was also wondering, does the fact that the admissions committee preliminary reviewed my app and has referred to Faculty mean that I have passed minimal requirements like GPA? Does the admissions committee fail applicants on their end? 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, rkb said:

Hi guys,

NPSIA applicant here, still at “Recommended for Assessment” stage. Officially confirmed with NPSIA that faculty hasnt reviewed my application as of today. Anyone in the same situation? I was also wondering, does the fact that the admissions committee preliminary reviewed my app and has referred to Faculty mean that I have passed minimal requirements like GPA? Does the admissions committee fail applicants on their end? 

Thank you!

Yeah I'm in the same boat...  The Carleton Central just changed and I have my specialization but no funding package as of yet... 

Edited by Hawkmoon
can't spell

1 hour ago, rkb said:

still at “Recommended for Assessment” stage.

I'm in the same boat. I'm guessing that it means we have passed the minimal requirements on the Admissions site but did not have a strong enough application to be considered for the first round? I'm guessing that they're judging who makes it into the first round by our GPA if they haven't looked at our applications yet.

On 3/10/2020 at 8:21 AM, irnerd said:

This may sound very ignorant but where do you see your specialization? thank you

On 3/7/2020 at 5:57 AM, HN19 said:

Hello guys,

It is a glorious coincidence that I got the rejection letter from Munk and acceptance letter from UBC on the same day. Anyone here who has applied for MPPGA? I am not sure about the funding opportunities there (I am a domestic student) and would like to get some more information.

Hey!

I got into UBC's MPPGA as well. Any idea on the quality of the program?

I was granted a $5000 scholarship (I'm an international student)

8 hours ago, sumerian said:

This may sound very ignorant but where do you see your specialization? thank you

Just go to Carleton Central and click on "View Application Details".   About halfway down the page you will see this:

Term: Fall 2020
Full/Part Time Status: Full Time
Department: Norman Paterson School of International Affairs
Degree: Master of Arts
Program: Master of Arts: International Affairs
Field of Study: International Affairs
Specialization: Intelligence and International Affairs
Application Status: Review in progress by department

1 hour ago, Hawkmoon said:

Just go to Carleton Central and click on "View Application Details".   About halfway down the page you will see this:

Term: Fall 2020
Full/Part Time Status: Full Time
Department: Norman Paterson School of International Affairs
Degree: Master of Arts
Program: Master of Arts: International Affairs
Field of Study: International Affairs
Specialization: Intelligence and International Affairs
Application Status: Review in progress by department

Thank you so much, this is so helpful!

On 3/9/2020 at 8:19 PM, ElleG said:

Hey everyone,

I know this was mentioned before. But those of you choosing between NSPIA and Munk. If you are able to share your insight as to why you are choosing one over another would you be able to share. I am having hard time deciding objectively. All the insight is appreciated :)

I am deciding between Munk and NPSIA also.

I am leaning towards Munk because it definitely keeps more career options open for you. The majority of Munk grads go into the private sector but you can also go into the public sector if you decide. If you look at the courses at Munk (i.e. Financial Management for Global Organizations, Capstone Seminar) there are many which are both global affairs and business oriented and make you more marketable for the private sector (i.e. consulting). With that said if you know for sure you want to go work for the government, especially the federal government NPSIA is probably the better option with their co-op and connections to Global Affairs Canada.

Hey everyone, glad to see we have lots of acceptances rolling in!

I have a question i'm hoping someone in this group can provide some answers too in regards to Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS). I've previously been accepted to NPSIA, Munk, LSE, GSPIA, and SPPA and I have applied for OGS at the Canadian choices by their submission deadlines. However, i'm having trouble figuring out when they generally begin to let students know if their OGS application was successful or not. Therefore, i'm hoping someone here can provide some clarification around this.

I appreciate all feedback thanks.

4 hours ago, KW77 said:

Hey everyone, glad to see we have lots of acceptances rolling in!

I have a question i'm hoping someone in this group can provide some answers too in regards to Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS). I've previously been accepted to NPSIA, Munk, LSE, GSPIA, and SPPA and I have applied for OGS at the Canadian choices by their submission deadlines. However, i'm having trouble figuring out when they generally begin to let students know if their OGS application was successful or not. Therefore, i'm hoping someone here can provide some clarification around this.

I appreciate all feedback thanks.

I attend Carleton's MPPA program and was notified about my successful OGS application last Monday.

Advice: Call each program and ask

On 3/12/2020 at 12:41 PM, Anoushka234 said:

Hey!

I got into UBC's MPPGA as well. Any idea on the quality of the program?

I was granted a $5000 scholarship (I'm an international student)

Oh! I have applied as a domestic student and I have not been so far offered any scholarship; how did you get to know about the award? Was it mentioned in the mail?

Regarding the quality of the program, it is among the best in the country, perhaps next only to the Munk School. Perhaps someone who has attended the program may be in a better position to tell.

I also got an offer from University of Saskatchewan for MPA. Anyone has any idea on that program?

Any international students here worried that COVID-19 might affect the process of getting a Canadian student permit or delay the fall semester? This is probably just me worrying too much as usual, but I'm getting a little nervous about it.