Applying to NPSIA - MUNK - Fall 2020

1 hour ago, mmh96 said:

Any international students here worried that COVID-19 might affect the process of getting a Canadian student permit or delay the fall semester? This is probably just me worrying too much as usual, but I'm getting a little nervous about it. 

I think this is a completely valid concern and what's been on my mind. The virus issue is gonna be around for a while so I frankly wonder what will even happen for next term and if there will be travel restrictions. I guess it's just too early to say. 

I hope it all passes soon and life goes back to normal. 

Edited by irnerd

17 hours ago, irnerd said:

I think this is a completely valid concern and what's been on my mind. The virus issue is gonna be around for a while so I frankly wonder what will even happen for next term and if there will be travel restrictions. I guess it's just too early to say. 

I hope it all passes soon and life goes back to normal. 

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you. I think the worst case scenario might be that the fall semester gets delayed. but as you said, it's too early to tell. 

12 hours ago, rkb said:

I m concerned that this virus outbreak might further slow down this already deadly slow Faculty review process.... :( 

I hope you hear some news soon! 

On 3/15/2020 at 1:59 PM, mmh96 said:

Any international students here worried that COVID-19 might affect the process of getting a Canadian student permit or delay the fall semester? This is probably just me worrying too much as usual, but I'm getting a little nervous about it. 

I am too, specially since the Canadian Government announced that non-Canadians will no longer be allowed. However, I am hoping that things settle down by mid-July since my term begins in September.

On 3/14/2020 at 1:55 PM, HN19 said:

Oh! I have applied as a domestic student and I have not been so far offered any scholarship; how did you get to know about the award? Was it mentioned in the mail?

Regarding the quality of the program, it is among the best in the country, perhaps next only to the Munk School. Perhaps someone who has attended the program may be in a better position to tell.

I also got an offer from University of Saskatchewan for MPA. Anyone has any idea on that program?

Yep, the entrance scholarship was mentioned in the offer letter itself.

Oh great, I am most likely going to take the offer. Excited to join the UBC community!

Hey guys! I've been lurking for awhile, but I had to share with someone: I just accepted my offer from NPSIA! I nearly psyched myself out and didn't apply at all, and I'm so glad I did.

Congrats to everyone on their offers, and good luck to everyone still waiting! I'm rooting for you :D

On 3/18/2020 at 1:10 PM, Hawkmoon said:

Hope everyone is safe and doing well.  Got my official acceptance letter yesterday!  Not much funding but wasn't expecting much anyway but it helps.  When does OSAP funding usually open for applications? 

Congrats dude! What specialization did you end up in?

On 3/13/2020 at 1:21 PM, dav80 said:

I am deciding between Munk and NPSIA also.

I am leaning towards Munk because it definitely keeps more career options open for you. The majority of Munk grads go into the private sector but you can also go into the public sector if you decide. If you look at the courses at Munk (i.e. Financial Management for Global Organizations, Capstone Seminar) there are many which are both global affairs and business oriented and make you more marketable for the private sector (i.e. consulting). With that said if you know for sure you want to go work for the government, especially the federal government NPSIA is probably the better option with their co-op and connections to Global Affairs Canada.

I just accepted Munk! I hope to see you there!

Side note declined all the other offers hope people who are still waiting will get their forst choices!

5 hours ago, KingV33 said:

Any wait-listed Munk candidates here? 

Does anybody have a view on what the odds for wait-listed candidates at Munk look like at this point?

Thanks!

Last year 2 out of 3 of my friends got in off the "first round" of wait list. Due to the prohibitive cost of munk many end up turning it down - so it was told to me

Edited by ElleG

1 hour ago, ElleG said:

Last year 2 out of 3 of my friends got in off the "first round" of wait list. Due to the prohibitive cost of munk many end up turning it down - so it was told to me

Thanks so much! Any idea as to when the first round of the wait-list is usually conducted?

21 hours ago, KingV33 said:

Thanks so much! Any idea as to when the first round of the wait-list is usually conducted?

I don't think last years timeline precedent will work. Because I just got an emial from UoT saying if I want to get an extension on my decision they are happy to give it to us. So I think the second round/wait list people are going to be waiting for longer than usual.

Are you domestic or international student, if you don't mind me asking?

Just got the email today for NPSIA! Super happy, now I will have to decide between Munk, NPSIA, and a very very appealing EnvStudies Masters at York... at this point it's scary to say I am entirely unsure which to pick... Also for NPSIA I have "Health, Displacement and Humanitarian Policy" as my specialization (I completely forget which order I placed my top three picks in haha but I think this was my #1) 

Best of luck to everyone else still waiting to hear back! Waiting is no fun and I hope you all get into your dream programs.

7 hours ago, sumerian said:

Just got the email today for NPSIA! Super happy, now I will have to decide between Munk, NPSIA, and a very very appealing EnvStudies Masters at York... at this point it's scary to say I am entirely unsure which to pick... Also for NPSIA I have "Health, Displacement and Humanitarian Policy" as my specialization (I completely forget which order I placed my top three picks in haha but I think this was my #1) 

Best of luck to everyone else still waiting to hear back! Waiting is no fun and I hope you all get into your dream programs.

Congrats thats awesome! What are you leaning towards?

15 hours ago, ElleG said:

Congrats thats awesome! What are you leaning towards?

I actually have no idea right now! The fellowship at the MES program is incredible, the program would be fully funded and everything without any RA/TA commitments, but NPSIA looks very appealing in terms of federal govt work, and Munk is just great and closer to home for me... I really do not know at this point! 

1 hour ago, sumerian said:

I actually have no idea right now! The fellowship at the MES program is incredible, the program would be fully funded and everything without any RA/TA commitments, but NPSIA looks very appealing in terms of federal govt work, and Munk is just great and closer to home for me... I really do not know at this point! 

Going to Munk is a waste of money and time.

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

Going to Munk is a waste of money and time.

Interesting, why do you say that? Atm Im least inclined to Munk compared to NPSIA and the MES program but this is the first Im hearing of it being a waste of money/time?

1 hour ago, sumerian said:

Interesting, why do you say that? Atm Im least inclined to Munk compared to NPSIA and the MES program but this is the first Im hearing of it being a waste of money/time?

50,000 for a degree seems steep. If you want to work for government go to NPSIA. Funding is better, research opportunities are better, reputation is better, a fraction of the cost and is in Ottawa. Where the federal government is.

Why do you want to go to Munk?

3 hours ago, BTF said:

50,000 for a degree seems steep. If you want to work for government go to NPSIA. Funding is better, research opportunities are better, reputation is better, a fraction of the cost and is in Ottawa. Where the federal government is.

Why do you want to go to Munk?

I wouldnt say I want to go more than the other schools I got into, although I am happy I got in. The reputation is great and it is within proximity to home for me, compared to NPSIA at least. That being said I am sure those who chose Munk over other institutions have their reasons! Currently as it looks Im leaning towards York's MES program or NPSIA, but as of right now I have no idea which Ill choose... Sighhh

Hey does anyone know when the deadline for accepting the NPSIA offer is? Or is there no actual "expiration"?

Because when I called uOttawa about their acceptance deadline they said that admission offers don't really expire- you just need to accept before the term starts.