Teachers College Columbia University Counseling Psychology Phd Debrief and Updates

Guest Wierrdo

Guest Wierrdo

Hi I was wondering if anyone has heard back from this school post interview. I attended the Counseling psych interview process and it was very nerve wracking seeing so many people up for one spot. I applied to work with Velez and Huang. I was pretty confident in my chances seeing as I am currently getting my Master's at TC and already have an "in". My research interests align perfectly and I know that I am destined to go here for my PhD. Getting an Columbia, Ivy league doctoral degree in psychology is unbeatable and I only see myself here. However, It has almost been a week and I have not heard anything. Have you all?

Also what did you all think of the interview process? It seems better than whatever they did yesterday, but the group lab interviews were still nerve wracking.

Edited by Wierrdo

You can search in the results. I believe one person announced they were accepted already. Edit:  sorry, 2 people, looks like BV and CH both accepted someone; I don’t know if more than 2 spots were available. I didn’t apply to TC but congrats to those folks!!

Edited by Ppkitty
Clarity.

Guest Wierrdo
23 minutes ago, Ppkitty said:

You can search in the results. I believe one person announced they were accepted already. Edit:  sorry, 2 people, looks like BV and CH both accepted someone; I don’t know if more than 2 spots were available. I didn’t apply to TC but congrats to those folks!!

I believe this is fake news.

Just now, IvyorNothing said:

I believe this is fake news.

Lol, well optimism is always good.

I wouldn't stress the Ivy thing, there's really no ranking system at PhD programs. It's more about fit and making sure you're productive in the ways that will suit your ultimate goals. 

3 minutes ago, Ppkitty said:

Haha can’t quite tell if you are trolling? In any case, you can look for yourself. 

wow lol this is interesting....looks like a troll.

Edited by Justice4All
dying laughing

Guest Wierrdo
5 minutes ago, Ppkitty said:

Haha can’t quite tell if you are trolling? In any case, you can look for yourself. 

Not trolling, I am just bitterly disappointed that I spent 2 years at TC and they have not given me a shot at doctoral admission. I guess sarcasm is my way of dealing.

Thank you all.

3 minutes ago, IvyorNothing said:

Not trolling, I am just bitterly disappointed that I spent 2 years at TC and they have not given me a shot at doctoral admission. I guess sarcasm is my way of dealing.

Thank you all.

Gotcha. I’m sorry, it must be hugely disappointing. At least you know that everyone who was selected to interview was highly qualified. Edit: did you mean you were already working in the lab of one of those PIs? I can see how that would be upsetting. I guess just remember that at the end of the day it’s not personal.

Edited by Ppkitty
A thought

8 minutes ago, devpsych2020 said:

...What was that downvote for Justice4All being accepted though? Maybe they saw through your such side which seems to go against the important qualities in counseling profession.

Let’s not make little remarks. This individual most likely just found out that he/she was not given an offer and this was his/her only doctoral  application. It’s okay to be mad and sometimes that leads to lashing out. If she/he ever needs support or tips on the next application cycle let me know. I can help

Edited by Itzik

22 minutes ago, IvyorNothing said:

Thank you all.

I also apologize, the “fake news” comment did sound like you were trolling at first. I think it all just comes down to fit, I got rejected from the program I was sure I’d be attending as well. I really do wish you the best and my DMs are wide open. 

Edited by Justice4All
Grammar

Guest Wierrdo

I removed my down votes. Thanks everyone.

Justice- congratulations. EDIT I AM SO SORRY. I must just be having an off day. Thank you all for bringing this to my attention and I apologize sincerely for my ignorance. My brain is just in disbelief and made me ask something really inappropriate. I promise I am not a bigot or something. I just came on the thread looking for answers and didn't like what I found. I am trying to process and make sense of things and I handled it poorly. I really apologize.

Edited by Wierrdo

38 minutes ago, IvyorNothing said:

Justice- congratulations. I did wonder if you think being a racial/ethnic minority helped your application? I can't think of anything that would have made me a stronger applicant other than having more diversity.

Yikes. I really understand your frustration, having also interviewed at just one place. However, I think you should take more time to focus on your social and interpersonal skills--things that can't be measured on paper. To me, this comment comes across as arrogant, while also reducing Justice's qualifications to just having an "upper hand" by being a minority. (whether you intended for it to come across that way or not). I'm sure you interviewed extremely well, but it's insinuating comments like these that can potentially tank your chances...

43 minutes ago, IvyorNothing said:

Justice- congratulations. I did wonder if you think being a racial/ethnic minority helped your application? I can't think of anything that would have made me a stronger applicant other than having more diversity.

This is just an inappropriate comment that I would encourage you to reflect on. It is  invalidating of Justice's efforts and abilities. Of course we always strive for diversity in Counseling Psychology, just as we strive for other social justice goals. And even the most qualified applicant can always do more to have a stronger application: more pubs, better scores, etc. At the end of the day, it's fit that matters. 

42 minutes ago, IvyorNothing said:

By "having more diversity," I assume that you meant to enhance diverse perspectives. You can enhance diverse perspectives and not be a person of color. Someone's racial background is not the reason they were admitted into a program, they were clearly a good fit with the PI. Although you meant no harm with your question it rubbed me the wrong way because of how rude it is to assume that someone's status as a racial/ethnic minority only made them a stronger applicant and you're lack of "diversity" is what made you a "weaker" applicant. This process sucks and we are all going through it. There's no need to try and make someone feel as though they only got into a program because they are a person of color, that's just pure ignorance and entitlement. Again, I'm sorry you are going through this but you should really watch how you phrase your questions and comments.

Guest Wierrdo
17 minutes ago, Aghhhhh said:

Yikes. I really understand your frustration, having also interviewed at just one place. However, I think you should take more time to focus on your social and interpersonal skills--things that can't be measured on paper. To me, this comment comes across as arrogant, while also reducing Justice's qualifications to just having an "upper hand" by being a minority. (whether you intended for it to come across that way or not). I'm sure you interviewed extremely well, but it's insinuating comments like these that can potentially tank your chances...

17 minutes ago, Ppkitty said:

This is just an inappropriate comment that I would encourage you to reflect on. It is  invalidating of Justice's efforts and abilities. Of course we always strive for diversity in Counseling Psychology, just as we strive for other social justice goals. And even the most qualified applicant can always do more to have a stronger application: more pubs, better scores, etc. At the end of the day, it's fit that matters. 

15 minutes ago, joanneprada said:

By "having more diversity," I assume that you meant to enhance diverse perspectives. You can enhance diverse perspectives and not be a person of color. Someone's racial background is not the reason they were admitted into a program, they were clearly a good fit with the PI. Although you meant no harm with your question it rubbed me the wrong way because of how rude it is to assume that someone's status as a racial/ethnic minority only made them a stronger applicant and you're lack of "diversity" is what made you a "weaker" applicant. This process sucks and we are all going through it. There's no need to try and make someone feel as though they only got into a program because they are a person of color, that's just pure ignorance and entitlement. Again, I'm sorry you are going through this but you should really watch how you phrase your questions and comments.

I have edited my remarks and am very sorry. I am sure this person is qualified. 

59 minutes ago, Wierrdo said:

I have edited my remarks and am very sorry. I am sure this person is qualified. 

Hi Wierrdo,

So I am a TC alum myself and actually did not get an invite to interview this year but I have had some colleagues tell me over the years that TC is very difficult to get into even if you were an MA student. I actually had a friend who interviewed years ago and thought he had a shot and was denied. Don’t feel bad about it. Good luck in your future endeavors!

Guest Wierrdo
1 hour ago, hopefulphd90 said:

Hi Wierrdo,

So I am a TC alum myself and actually did not get an invite to interview this year but I have had some colleagues tell me over the years that TC is very difficult to get into even if you were an MA student. I actually had a friend who interviewed years ago and thought he had a shot and was denied. Don’t feel bad about it. Good luck in your future endeavors!

This makes sense. I definitely underestimated the difficulty of getting in! I think being at TC gave me a big head. 

I think it would be a good idea for everyone to take a moment and a slow, deep breath. We are all going through a very stressful process and it can be easy, especially on anonymous online chat boards, to get worked up and/or misinterpret poster's tones/intentions. So let's breathe and try to be mindful of our words.

To the OP, there are so many factors that go into decisions and at the end of the day none of us know what got us in vs. kept us out. Try to remain positive, focus on your work, and know that when it's the right fit it will work out. 

Good luck to all of us in these final weeks!!